Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunsetstripped

Auckland, New Zealand

Hi, these are my favourite photo's of what I consider to be the greatest city (OK, ONE of... there is many :P )in the South Pacific. Long over shadowed by Sydney, and the other Australian cities, Auckland is finally starting to get the attention it deserves!

auck4.jpg

auck3.jpg

auck2.jpg

auck1.jpg

A little about Auckland - Located on an isthmus with the Pacific Ocean to the East, and the Tasman Sea to the west - Auckland is dubbed "The City of Sails" Due to the fact that it is litterally surrounded by water. Auckland is a sub-tropical city, with lush forest to the north and south. It is considered by most to be the "Gateway to New Zealand" due to its busy airport.

Any questions? Just ask.

This is my first post, so I hope you all like it!. :blush:

Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing. I have never seen Auckland before, what a beautiful bay they have. The skyline is impressive, too. I noticed in the last photo that you drive on the other (wrong?) side of the road just like they do in the UK and Japan. Interesting. Would be interested in seeing more from the street level if you can.

Welcome to the site!!!

- BR

woah, first shots i've seen of aukland. It's got a nice bay & it's dense!

I only wonder if they were trying to copy Sydney with that spire, looks too identical :P

woah, first shots i've seen of aukland.  It's got a nice bay & it's dense!

I only wonder if they were trying to copy Sydney with that spire, looks too identical :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Identical? haha, you might wanna take another look at the Sydney tower.

No offense, but I don't agree that the tower in Auckland is really that much of a copy of Sydney's. Sydney's looks a lot taller than this one and it isn't painted white at the observation level; the shape of this tower looks a little different also.

The Tower is called Skytower, it was built in 1997 and is 328 meters, making it taller than Sydney's 304 meter "Sydney Tower" and also much better looking. I would compare it's looks more to Toronto's CN Tower in looks (not height!) than to Sydney's.

Yes, we drive on the opposite side of the road. Weird, yeah?

The city has earned the title "City of Sails" due to the enormous amount of yachting and boating events that take place in the many bays and inlets that surround the metro area (population 1.3 million.)

Hope that gives you abit more info on "Auckers!"

Awesome pics! The city looks really dense...it has a great skyline for a metro of only 1.3 million.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

Nice photos mate.

I spent a couple of days in Auckland last year, and had a great time.

Its a big call to call it the 'greatest city in the South Pacific'....I think Sydney would have something to say about that :D

haha yeah, Sydney would have something to say about that (And Melbourne, Brisbane and even Gold Coast probably would too..) But what can I say, I am abit biased ;)

When I say it is the greatest city, I'm thinking it's just as beautiful, much safer, generally sunnier (Than Sydney and Melbourne... not Brisbane and Gold Coast obviously!)

Cheaper, and it has a much more "Pacific" feel to it. We also don't have the pollution problems of Sydney, although I don't know if that will be the case in twenty years :wacko:

I was quite surprised at how much Auckland looked like a small version of Sydney. The Viaduct Basin looked alot like Darling Harbour, and even Davenport on the other side of the habour reminded me of Watsons Bay.

All I'm waiting for now is for Auckland to build a funny looking Opera house on its waterfront :D

I was quite surprised at how much Auckland looked like a small version of Sydney. The Viaduct Basin looked alot like Darling Harbour, and even Davenport on the other side of the habour reminded me of Watsons Bay.

All I'm waiting for now is for Auckland to build a funny looking Opera house on its waterfront  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, That's too true! It is often dubbed mini-Sydney, although an Aucklander is the least likely person in the world to agree with it! But with the way it is developing, it will slowly become more and more similar to it's bigger cousin across the Tasman - though it will never grow to such proportions (Our entire country has a smaller population than the Sydney Metro - and it is growing at snail's pace - Auckland grows by a mere 50 people per day...)

:unsure: