Base Closings in your area

vandiver49

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Fort Jackson closed it would certainly hurt Columbia for awhile, but it would also open up alot of land for development

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would hurt Columbia cause Forest Acres will battle the city to death to claim a piece of that pie accross 77. Outside of that, the Fort Jackson site would probably sprawl hard. We'd be pushing a million in the metro by 2020. :)

Well, we'll see what happens tomorrow. I am very curious to see who's going to suffer and who's going to grow.

Personally, as a tanker pilot, I'm praying that they close Grand Forks, Fairchild (in Spokane), and McConnell (in Wichita) and put all the tankers someplace in the southeast... but, that's not gonna happen. Oh well.

Im not so sure that Ft. Gordon will go since they are about to bring in lots of new people soon.  I guess that doesnt mean much though.  I do think it would hurt Augusta but not as bad as other cities that are more dependant on their bases like Fayetteville or Columbus.  Augustas largest industries, (employers) are SRS and the Medical Industry, not the Fort.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I personally think it would hurt Augusta's economy a lot if the base closed. That would mean over 10,000 people would leave Augusta. With that many people leaving, Augusta's economy would suffer. Plus, retirees would probably move to places like Columbus and Hinesville where they can continue receiving military benefits like healthcare, etc. We will just have to wait and see who is on the list.

Latest from Middle Tennessee...

The 118th Airlift wing in Nashville could lose 191 employees and 8 C-130 cargo planes.

At Ft. Campbell, 300 members of some unit could be transferred to another base (not sure which it was...some air unit), but 5,000 could be transferred in from another base (an explosives unit). Ft. Campbell is already the 3rd largest army post (7th overall in dept. of defense).

The closings of Ft.'s Gillem and McPherson won't hurt Atlanta too much.

Thankfully, Ft. Gordon was spared. I bet a lot of Augustans are relieved right now.

RIP: Ft. McPherson, the home of Patton and the 3rd Army in WWII. :cry:

It looks like the Columbia-Sumter area is adding about 2,000 jobs total between Fort Jackson and McEntire ANG Base in Columbia and Shaw AFB in Sumter. More good economic news for the Columbia area. We are on a roll this year with over $1 billion in U/C or announced projects since the first of 2005 alone.

Well, it appears I was only half right in my predictions of base closing for GA.

FT Mac - in the middle of the city, I expected this one. I'm sure developers already have plans for revitalization.

FT Gillam - unexpected in that they have suck alot of money into this base, but it too is just outside of I-285, a developers dream.

NAS Atlanta - I was shocked they didn't close the whole base. There goes my dream for a North ATL airport.

Supply School in Athens - I always wondered how it ended up there in the first place. But moving it the RI where most Officer Training Schools are located at makes some sense.

Now many in the blogs are lamenting about job loss but they are looking at it from a very small prespective. The bases were in a growing metropolis (I've never really thought of ATL as a military town) and one was in a college town (UGA). So while there will be some economic impact, its not as if they closed FT Benning, FT Stewart or FT Gordon, which are huge facilities with troop sizes numbering well into the tens of thousands.

As a side note, one closing I founf shocking was that of New London and its Sub Base. Most of the East Coast fast attacks are home ported out of there. It will be a crushing blow to the entire Groton community. But guess where they will be moving some of that fleet? Kings Bay, GA. An addition that not only will benefit coastal GA, but North FL too.

Just out of curiosity, what is the largest military Base/Fort in the nation?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fort Hood is the largest military post in the world. It has more than 44,000 soldiers. I hear the largest in land area is Eglin AFB.

FT Mac - in the middle of the city, I expected this one. I'm sure developers already have plans for revitalization.

Sorry for posting on this topic this late, but I disagree with you there.

Most of my fellow Atlantans actually saw this as a surprise. Developers may have had plans for it, but they (my fellow Atlantans) figured that Ft. Mac was too important to close.

Those are most of GA's bases aren't they?

The last big one in SC was the Charleston Naval Base. It was devastating to the Charleston economy.

I think there is some concern that Ft Jackson (Columbia) might be closed, but of even more concern is Shaw AFB in Sumter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not at all. There's a military base in or near all of the largest metros in the state....Savannah, Macon, Columbus, Albany, Athens, Augusta plus Kings Bay and the ones in metro Atlanta.

The base closings in the state are, in the long run, not a bad thing at all since they're in metros with growing, healthy economies and the end result will probably mean more and better paying jobs once the land is redeveloped.

And two answer your question benjermin, what I would love to see for Dobbins is for it to be converted into a Regional airport along the lines of Reagan Nat'l...but Cobbites won't go for that so instead they'll attempt to reclaim it for commericial and residential use.  But that's a very expensive undertaking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm glad you realize that. Even if Dobbins was scheduled to close, I think you'd see marta trains running up and down Cobb Pkwy before they'd alllow a commercial airport in that spot. It wouldn't be a bad location for a second airport, but with the billions being spent on Hartsfield, there just no political nor economic possibility for one in the near future. In fact when they were seriously talking about it several years ago, I remember that one of the big obstacles was that Delta nor any other major airline was interested.

Archived