Which Would You Choose ?

Dale

Well, watching the Magic is pretty dramatic, in a classic tragedy kind of way..  :rofl:

I'm all for the PAC first - when the Magic can win at least 50% of their games then maybe a re-do of their facilties.

Look at the UCF stadium proposal - what a load of crap!  Does anyone REALLY think that a new cheap-o stadium is going to put them up in the same league as UF, FSU and UM?  I think this is totally putting the cart before the horse....  You should EARN such things - what happens if the Magic still suck?  You will have a 50% attendance rate at a top notch arena -- not much better than a 50% attendance rate at a crappy one!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely disagree with you. First, the main reason for building an on-campus stadium is for the benefit of the student body (the benefits to the team and alumni are only secondary). Why should the students be punished and asked to give up the opportunity to enjoy the gameday atmosphere because the football team plays poorly? Don't you realize college football can be fun even if your team is having a bad year? Second, no one in their right mind argues that the proposed stadium is suddenly going to put UCF in the same league (at least in the terms of football) as UF, FSU and UM. The point of the stadium is that it fits UCF's current needs, and can be expanded if there is demand for a bigger stadium. A stadium is also one of the few missing pieces that UCF is trying to acquire as it makes the transition from commuter school to major university (see the informative UCF projects thread for other details). However, if you insist on comparing UCF to those schools, then why not compare UCF to FSU in the 70s. I can show you a picture of Doak from the 70s that is radically different than Doak today (which seats I think close to 90,000). Sure, the stadium was small and looked a little ridiculous, but it fit FSU's needs and grew with the program. Now both the stadium and the program are first rate.

Finally, the argument that UCF should not better itself and build new facilities until it has a first rate team is logically identical to the argument that Orlando should not build new facilities and encourage development until it is a first rate city. If this argument applies to UCF, does the same logic apply to Orlando as well? Obviously, I think the answer is a resounding no. Both UCF and Orlando have tremendous potential, but the potential will never be realized if we are not allowed to develop until an impossible bar has been reached.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You make a good point... But I was under the impression that UCF's stadium was going to be a second-class facility. Is that not correct? All I've read have stated they will be building the cheapest thing they can get away with...

I agree that UCF needs to turn into less of a commuter school, and that a stadium would help, however do you think this is the best way to accomplish that? While I can not offer ideas at the moment, I am skeptical of the idea and am suggesting that perhaps the money could be used somewhere else on the campus to further this cause... Perhaps a cheap-o stadium will help - I'm not sure.

Oh, and I'm a UCF student, too. ;)

I completely disagree with you.  First, the main reason for building an on-campus stadium is for the benefit of the student body (the benefits to the team and alumni are only secondary).  Why should the students be punished and asked to give up the opportunity to enjoy the gameday atmosphere because the football team plays poorly?  Don't you realize college football can be fun even if your team is having a bad year?  Second, no one in their right mind argues that the proposed stadium is suddenly going to put UCF in the same league (at least in the terms of football) as UF, FSU and UM.  The point of the stadium is that it fits UCF's current needs, and can be expanded if there is demand for a bigger stadium.  A stadium is also one of the few missing pieces that UCF is trying to acquire as it makes the transition from commuter school to major university (see the informative UCF projects thread for other details).  However, if you insist on comparing UCF to those schools, then why not compare UCF to FSU in the 70s.  I can show you a picture of Doak from the 70s that is radically different than Doak today (which seats I think close to 90,000).  Sure, the stadium was small and looked a little ridiculous, but it fit FSU's needs and grew with the program.  Now both the stadium and the program are first rate. 

Finally, the argument that UCF should not better itself and build new facilities until it has a first rate team is logically identical to the argument that Orlando should not build new facilities and encourage development until it is a first rate city.  If this argument applies to UCF, does the same logic apply to Orlando as well?  Obviously, I think the answer is a resounding no.  Both UCF and Orlando have tremendous potential, but the potential will never be realized if we are not allowed to develop until an impossible bar has been reached.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The UCF stadium is not going to be a second-class facility; it will be as competitive as any other stadium, maybe even better. Why does every stadium have to be built out of concrete, when there are cheaper and more aesthetically appealing materials out there? The benefits of the stadium are endless. Everybody needs to start thinking before they start judging... Also, the money wouldn't be better spent elsewhere. If you are a UCF student and ever keep up with anything that is said or written, the funds for the athletic facilities are completely separate than those from the academic facilities. And if you think there might be other areas that deserve this money, how about you check out my thread on UCF developments. There definetly is a lack of action at UCF, with new developments being announced constantly. In less than a couple months they are going to announce a Med School and believe me, it won't be shabby.

This is my 1st semester (3rd week) - not too "up to date" on the plans for UCF but I will certianly check out your thread. UCF is a great school - do not get me wrong. It's big and has great profs. But the (unfortunate) nature of greater Orlando is that it almost seems to REQUIRE a commuter school, with it's sprawl. Not sure of this, (and if it is even relevant) but isn't Orlando second only to Las Vegas in sprawl/growth?

I would absolutey love for UCF to become a top notch campus- I was just opposed (and under the impression) that the stadium was going to be a bargian-basement deal. That's what reading the Orlando Sentinel will do to you! :wacko:

The medical school will be a truely awesome expansion - much needed for this area. I was thinking that all funds were coming from the same general "pool" and thought that the monies could be better spent towards things such as the med. school. My bad. :whistling:

The UCF stadium is not going to be a second-class facility; it will be as competitive as any other stadium, maybe even better. Why does every stadium have to be built out of concrete, when there are cheaper and more aesthetically appealing materials out there? The benefits of the stadium are endless. Everybody needs to start thinking before they start judging... Also, the money wouldn't be better spent elsewhere. If you are a UCF student and ever keep up with anything that is said or written, the funds for the athletic facilities are completely separate than those from the academic facilities. And if you think there might be other areas that deserve this money, how about you check out my thread on UCF developments. There definetly is a lack of action at UCF, with new developments being announced constantly. In less than a couple months they are going to announce a Med School and believe me, it won't be shabby.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a lot of friends at UCF and many who have graduated from there. Most of them loved the school and from what I hear, many of the programs are pretty awesome. UF is indeed the best state school in Florida, thats no secret, but its also the oldest. UCF is suffering growing pains but its going to come out stronger.

Precisely, growing pains, but it is going to come out stronger. UCF has the advantage of being a young, metropolitan university and is able to bypass many of the ails of the older institutions. I am a founder of an organization that is going to make a name for UCF and help it in becoming the finest research university. I also conduct some pretty groundbreaking research. And no, I am not an idiot for not fleeing away to help some elite school get more elite. I am in a phenomenol leadership program, in one of the finest metropolitan small, liberal arts honors colleges and have a vision for UCF and Orlando. It is through visions that the unknown become known. Dubai was once a vision, what is it now?

UCF to me means "Big man on campus" and a sprawling setting to boot.  And why exactly would anyone choose UCF over Stanford or Harvard??? That's like saying you prefer McDonald's drive-through when compared to Chez Panisse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not many schools could win that battle. Maybe MIT!

My daughter, who did her first 2 years at UCF, transferred to a small New England school to get a more rigorous education. She has been disappointed. She says she learned more in her UCF classes than in her current MS program up north. UCF has a many nationally ranked programs. She, like many others, who think the grass is so much greener elsewhere, was wrong; an expensive mistake.

I commend UCF for doing everything it can to change its reputation, much of which is unfounded. And where it is not unfounded, they should try to change that too. At 44,000 students UCF is the 10th largest university in the US and is in a top 20 TV market. Its reputation as a commuter school is an antiquated reputation that has been overtaken by new realities, but people are just in a habbit of saying it.

I can't defend UCF's football record last year, but I will certainly defend its attempt to achieve the status that a school its size should have. UCF has about 4 times the student population as the average C-USA school. To have potential and not do everything possible to live up to it would be a crime. They should be aiming high.

I got my bachelor from UF and my master at UCF, I am not sure about other department but my experiences at UCF engineering department was horrible. Professors doesnt show up and never in their offices, most of them claimed they were doing "research" elsewhere but they are not. A few professor that I knew even use the research money to pay themselves as in 70K per year of salary is not enough for them and then told the students they dont have money for hire research assitant. I gave up Columbia to stayed here for my bf and it turned out that both are mistakes.

If u are in other colleges outside of engineering and u found that UCF is a good school, then u r very lucky.

and, no, UCF engineering program is not ranked anywhere. I gave UCF credits in the co-op department because they have a lot of connections.

Harvard and Stanford are liberal arts school while MIT is technology school I think, correct me if I am wrong...

The only two respectable colleges in Florida that can challenge other school in the country is University of Florida and Embbry Riddle imho.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The following breakdown of Stanford graduate students shows Engineering leading the way:

Graduate School of Business 919 (12%)

School of Earth Sciences 247 (3%)

School of Education 314 (4%)

School of Engineering 2,912 (37%)

School of Humanities and Sciences 1,997 (26%)

School of Law 577 (7%)

School of Medicine 834 (11%)

Harvard and Stanford are liberal arts school while MIT is technology school I think, correct me if I am wrong...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, MIT's academic programs are mainly technical (though not all), and are broken down into the following schools:

-School of Architecture and Planning

-School of Engineering

-School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences

-Sloan School of Management

-School of Science

-Whitaker College of Health Sciences and Technology

The only two respectable colleges in Florida that can challenge other school in the country is University of Florida and Embbry Riddle imho.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you mixing Embry-Riddle up with Emory University in Atlanta?

UCF's currently well-known programs include:

1. CREOL (one of the top optics institutes in the world)

2. Forensic Science (#1 in the world)

3. Teaching Academy

4. Biomedical (is gaining steam)

5. LEAD Scholars

6. Gaming school (soon to be one of a kind!)

I'm not sure what else. I'm gonna start searching around for statistics and opinions and such.

Harvard is a lot more than liberal arts.  They do some of the most important research in the world.

Other notable schools in Florida are UM as well as Rollins and Stetson (both ranked high in the regional category).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Without a doubt, Harvard is far more than just liberal arts. They are leaders in almost every field; business, law, medicine, research, etc.... and as for the assumption Harvard is not a "technical" school, its Engineering school was ranked 19th in the country in U.S. News' 2005 rankings.

As for UCF, I think most of us who post here have either attended UCF or know someone fairly well who has, and there is obviously a mixed bag of opinions about it. I think this is extremely normal for a large, public institution as it is. I think many of us who have gone to other large state schools can attest to their this. But I think, ultimately, there should be consideration given to the fact that UCF is also a "young" university, in comparison to most other universities we tend to think of, most of which have probably been established for around 100 years or so.

Embbry Riddle is the #1 school of its kind in the entire country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Embry Riddle might be a great school, but UCF has more selective admissions requirements (which I believe is the most objective way to compare the quality of schools).

Embry Riddle

Average GPA: 3.25

Average SAT: 1106

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/res...=1&intbucketid=

UCF

Average GPA: 3.84

Average SAT: 1186

http://www.iroffice.ucf.edu/character/current.html

I looked up the numbers for all of the other schools in Florida, and the only schools more selective than UCF are UF, UM and New College of Florida (which is a great school, but it only has about 700 students total, so it can have very high admissions standards).

Archived