Detroit's Woodbridge Neighborhood

Allan

Continued from Part One

This home on Trumbull was restored a couple of years ago.

IMG_5552.jpg

This house down the street has not been so lucky, however. It decays more and more each year.

IMG_5555.jpg

This home right next door has been well kept up over the years.

IMG_5557.jpg

Another restored home on Trumbull

IMG_5558.jpg

Houses along Trumbull

IMG_5561.jpg

The area is crammed full of great historic architecture

IMG_5563.jpg

Another old brick house

IMG_5580.jpg

A pocket of blight in an otherwise fully occupied block

IMG_5581.jpg

More houses along Commonwealth Street

IMG_5583.jpg

A large apartment building

IMG_5584.jpg

This thread has turned into "how many different duplexes can Allan show photos of?" Haha.

IMG_5593.jpg

A nice house on Putnam Street

IMG_5594.jpg

Typical neighborhood shot

IMG_5597.jpg

A well maintained house on Avery Street

IMG_5598.jpg

A decaying house. The house itself looks solid, but the porch is questionable.

IMG_5601.jpg

Purple Victorian

IMG_5602.jpg

Green Victorian

IMG_5609.jpg

Blue Victorian

IMG_5610.jpg

This house is receiving a badly needed coat of paint.

IMG_5606.jpg

A half occupied, half abandoned duplex

IMG_5607.jpg

Homes along Avery Street

IMG_5611.jpg

Return to Part One

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well thank for the tour Allan. The neighborhood has a lot of potential and could be a very nice suburb of Detroit. If there were people to restore the historical eyesores, it would be nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Woodbridge is an urban neighborhood well within the city limits. In fact, it is only about 2 miles from downtown. I could only wish that the suburbs were this dense and this walkable! The houses generally need only cosmetic work, although there are a few exceptions. Not that long ago, Woodbridge was an area for urban pioneers. The area has significantly improved, and is still getting better. What you don't see is a lot of the new housing that is going up nearby...I'm saving that for another time.

Yep, Woodbridge is one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city. Development followed the streetcar lines out of downtown and up Grand River Avenue. Neighborhood development started in the 1880s, although the area was not completely built out until about 1920.

This map will help you get an idea of where all the places I've posted photos of are in relation to the rest of the city and the inner suburbs. Most of the main roads are exactly one mile apart, to give you a sense of scale. I will be posting my Corktown photos once this thread dies down, so I included it on the map as well. I'm not sure why, but it looks like someone was trying to find my apartment! The highlighted circle is awfully close to where I live. :unsure:

post-67-1106954151_thumb.jpg

post-67-1106954151_thumb.jpg

I have to admit that I definitely have a bias against Detroit. I've only driven through it on the way from Canada to I-75 south, but that was so horrendous that it's hard to change my mind. I know that many of the Northwestern suburbs are beautiful, because a friend in college was from that area. But the downtown or even just the city and the south side's suburbs seem almost nightmarish. Sorry, but it's my impression.

Archived