Next large Georgia city

ATLman1

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Valdosta has a ways to go to catch up with Albany in terms of amenities. Albany is still the shopping destination for much of South GA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. I decided to look it up on the 2000 census. But check out the growth rates from 1990. I think it will happen eventually.

population %change

Albany 157,833 7.7

Valdosta 119,560 20.5

Also about the next large Ga city, the change in metro population for the other cities in the state

Athens 22.1%

Augusta 14.7%

Columbus 5.7%

Macon 7.6%

Savannah 13.5%

Columbus better get something going

It really surprised me too.  As of some time in the late '90's Chattanooga was GA's 2nd largest MSA.  I don't know where all those people are located in the Augusta area.  I was stationed at Ft. Gordon for 2 years 2001-2002.  While I was there a major anchor in the Augusta Mall closed, and it seem that the mall wasn't doing well as a whole.  Chattanooga has 2 malls that do really well.  The downtown area and river walk were nice, but there still wasn't as much to do IMO as in Chattanooga.  I think the major difference is that Chattanooga draws a lot of people from Cleveland, TN and Dalton, GA.  Cleveland is included in Chattanooga CSA but Dalton isn't.  I think the CSA for Chattanooga is around 700k.  I don't think the Augusta CSA is any different from their MSA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

..well, I love chattanooga for it's wonderful downtown area and natural scenery...

That said, most of the growth in the Augusta region is..unfortunately taking place in its outer suburbs...Evans, Martinez and Grovetown Georgia, to the west, North Augusta South Carolina, and even to some extent, South Richmond county. The most sprawly areas now are in Evans, where I think like 4 major shopping centers are under construction now, and more in planning. That place has grown so much in the past 5 years it is unreal. The West Augusta area, with lots of Big-Box stores kind of replaced the Augusta Mall for a while but last time I was there (the mall) it was booming with people. Remember at one point the Augusta area had 2 major malls that both did well until the Regency Mall became dangerous (even had its own police station for a while). There is another Mall 15 miles from Downtown in Aiken but that serves as a smaller mall for the people of Aiken, not drawing from Augusta really, (even though they are in the same metro).

You're right.  I decided to look it up on the 2000 census. But check out the growth rates from 1990.  I think it will happen eventually.

population    %change

Albany    157,833      7.7

Valdosta  119,560      20.5

Also about the next large Ga city, the change in metro population for the other cities in the state

Athens      22.1%

Augusta    14.7%

Columbus  5.7%

Macon        7.6%

Savannah  13.5%

Columbus better get something going

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Columbus is about to undergo a huge population boom in the next year. I had mentioned earlier that the city will gain between 15,000-18,000 new residents in 2005-2006 with Ft. Benning's massive expansion. Also, much of Columbus's new population is moving into the suburbs in Lee County, Alabama. This county (which touches Columbus!) is not considered in Columbus's metro because Lee County is home to Auburn/Opelika, which has its own metro of 130,000 people. So if Lee County was added, it would add significantly to Columbus metro area population and growth.

Columbus is about to undergo a huge population boom in the next year. I had mentioned earlier that the city will gain between 15,000-18,000 new residents in 2005-2006 with Ft. Benning's massive expansion. Also, much of Columbus's new  population is moving into the suburbs in Lee County, Alabama. This county (which touches Columbus!) is not considered in Columbus's metro because Lee County is home to Auburn/Opelika, which has its own metro of 130,000 people. So if Lee County was added, it would add significantly to Columbus metro area population and growth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But that doesn't make any sense. How can it be part of Columbus metro when it is its own metro area. Just because its close by doesn't mean its part of the same metro. They could one day become combined into a CSA but apparrantly thats statistically not the case right now.

But that doesn't make any sense.  How can it be part of Columbus metro when it is its own metro area.  Just because its close by doesn't mean its part of the same metro.  They could one day become combined into a CSA but apparrantly thats statistically not the case right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lee County is not part of Columbus's metro, but many people are moving to the area of Lee County that sits right across the river from Columbus. Most of these people work in Columbus or Phenix City rather than in Auburn or Opelika. In reality, Columbus/Auburn/Opelika is just one huge area that is considered by locals as one metro.

But that doesn't make any sense.  How can it be part of Columbus metro when it is its own metro area.  Just because its close by doesn't mean its part of the same metro.  They could one day become combined into a CSA but apparrantly thats statistically not the case right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Auburn/Opelika already is part of Columbus' CSA. Only time will tell as to whether this county will ever be added to the Columbus MSA. My guess is that a lot of the growth may be Auburn oriented, so they may never achieve the census' defined commuting patterns, even though the entire area may seem well connected. That's the biggest flaw with the census' MSA definitions, though fortunately, the CSA's are able to reflect that scenario.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what exactly are you counting as a boom?

because it seems like athens is going through a boom(or maybe i'm just biased)

there's somewhere around 6 new high rises in the works for downtown, and then a ton of apartments, subdivisions, and infill. then there's a whole mess of subdivisions in the surrounding counties.

not that that means people will actually move into any of those, but it seems like there's a ton of growth.

what exactly are you counting as a boom?

because it seems like athens is going through a boom(or maybe i'm just biased)

there's somewhere around 6 new high rises in the works for downtown, and then a ton of apartments, subdivisions, and infill. then there's a whole mess of subdivisions in the surrounding counties.

not that that means people will actually move into any of those, but it seems like there's a ton of growth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am talking about a population boom for Columbus over the next year because of FT. Benning's expansion.

Most likely all of these places are gonna explode more and more. From what I hear lots of people are moving to the south in general. I'd think Macon or Athens would be more likely to boom than the other just because of their proximity to Atlanta. Who knows though. Maybe Savannah.

The South is indeed growing. Macon and Savannah, Columbus and probably Valdosta are the best positioned for any new booms.

Athens is an interesting case. I am not sure whether its proximity to Atlanta is the cause of (or a primary factor of) its growth, or if it is just the city itself. The University is definately the wildcard there.

basically, all the atlanta kids come to athens to go to school, and then many like it, and stay. and a large portion of us locals stay here to go to school. i think they're trying to steer it toward growth with they way they're doing 316 aka 'university parkway'. they want to attract a lot of high end technology research things to build along 316 between atlanta and athens.

how big is savannah? i'm surprised it doesn't get more attention. i heard it's one of the top 4 ports in the country somewhere. i'd think that would cause it to take off a little more.

basically, all the atlanta kids come to athens to go to school, and then many like it, and stay. and a large portion of us locals stay here to go to school. i think they're trying to steer it toward growth with they way they're doing 316 aka 'university parkway'. they want to attract a lot of high end technology research things to build along 316 between atlanta and athens.

how big is savannah? i'm surprised it doesn't get more attention. i heard it's one of the top 4 ports in the country somewhere. i'd think that would cause it to take off a little more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Savanah isn't all that big actually, it's got about 350K in its metro area, Charelston is big port city as well, but it's population is only a little bigger than Savannah's.

Don't let the size of the City of Charleston fool you. Charleston has about 500k in its metro, which is a bit larger than Savannah. It is also the 2nd largest port on the East Coast.

Savannah's port could easily be 4th on the East Coast, I doubt in the nation though.

If anyone knows of a list of the national port rankings I would be interested to see it.

^^ I agree, Charleston "feels" like a much bigger city too. Savannah has a dense and wonderful city core, but after that you have a few small suburbs and that is it. Charleston has a larger urban core and much larger/more dense suburbs.

Columbus has benefited a lot from the BRAC decision. The Columbus metro area is expected now to add 25,000 new residents because of Ft. Benning's expansion. Watch out Augusta, Columbus is about to take back the second largest metro status in GA.

Columbus has benefited a lot from the BRAC decision. The Columbus metro area is expected now to add 25,000 new residents because of Ft. Benning's expansion. Watch out Augusta, Columbus is about to take back the second largest metro status in GA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh, nice try, but 287,000 + 25,000 is FAR less than 511,000. I'm also quite excited about Columbus' growth, but lets try to keep things in perspective here and not skew facts. Columbus needs a lot more huge economic development to catch up to the Augusta area.

If Ft. Gordon AND SRS both got the axe, then there may be a level playing field, but hopefully no one would wish such economic devastion on a city.

Once again, congrats to Columbus on the announcement (and to Augusta for Ft. Gordon surviving with no cuts). It seems that Ft. Benning really is the backbone of Columbus, and its continued success should only help the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think its great that you're proud of your city and I hope it does produce strong economic growth but it has to comr from more than the expansion of a military base. Unless there are other means to attracting new businesses to the area, this expansion will result in a temporary surge in population and create jobs that are relatively low wage. I'm not knocking Columbus, I just think you're overstating the impact of the Ft Benning expansion.

I think Marietta is going to continue being the state's unofficial second largest city with the population currently being around 330,000.

Had Georgia reclaimed Chattanooga, the city might be bigger than it is now.

Archived