Next large Georgia city

ATLman1

Had Georgia reclaimed Chattanooga, the city might be bigger than it is now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Reclaim? Maybe I'm out of the loop but when did Georgia actually claim Chattanooga? It kinda makes since it GA did at one point since the city is located on the South Bank of whatever that river is that passes downtown, where the majority of the territory is in the Peach State.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think Augusta will be the next largest city, because the city limits itself has more room to grow, then it's got the metro area.  What room does Columbus has in it's city limits :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Columbus doesn't have much room to grow. All of the available land has been developed or is being developed. Muscogee County (Columbus) is very small land wise. This is why Columbus is having to push west, north, and east. It can't go south because of Fort Benning. Harris County to the north is becoming a bedroom community for Columbus and south metro Atlanta. Phenix City, Alabama is seeing a lot of Columbus's spill over growth. Plus, Auburn/Opelika in Lee County, Alabama is adding a lot to the area's growth. There is room to grow, but it's all in the suburbs.

• 2 weeks later...

My nod goes to Augusta. Sorry ATLman1. While Columbus has a great corporate identity....and this will only help in it's growth, I feel that Augusta has the nod so far. The new interstate(s) will definitely help matters. What also helps Augusta's chances is it's proximity to the I-85 corridor and Atlanta. If there is ever an interstate that connects Augusta to I-85 then it can feed off the growth that will take place between Atlanta and Greenville/Spartanburg.

As an Atlanta, I wish Columbus, Macon, Augusta and Savannah the best. Georgia seriously needs another large metro area other than Metropolitan Atlanta. Perhaps the civic leaders of these cities need to sit down and decide on what can make their cities unique and attractive to outsiders. There also needs to be more business friendly governments in the area. The Diamler/Chrysler plant falling through outside of Savannah was a blow. That would have definitely helped in Savannah's bid to become Georgia's next large city. There is land avaliable in Chatham county just ripe for development. The housing market is very nice there. Especially on the barrier islands.

Macon could be helped if they would ever get the commeter rail line done between Atlanta and Macon. I know of at least 4 families who would move to Macon if the line was there. A two hour train ride to downtown would be no different than a two hour car drive from Alpharetta or Cumming on GA 400.

Again, I would be excited if any one of these areas or all of them have amazing and positive growth spurts. It will all be good for georgia as a whole.

It also has a lot of land area that it can fill. And, if Ft Gordon ever closes, there will be a lot more undeveloped space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but hoprfully Augusta will be smarter by then (if it ever closes) and wont need more land to gobble up with suburban sprawl. There is already way too much of it going on in West Augusta, Martinez and Evans.

but hoprfully Augusta will be smarter by then (if it ever closes) and wont need more land to gobble up with suburban sprawl.  There is already way too much of it going on in West Augusta, Martinez and Evans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I couldn't agree with you more. That area is indeed growing too fast, I think. The South Augusta area is starting to have a bounce back. The cheaper housing being built now helps. But the area still needs more of the economic stability that West Augusta has with its commercial developments.

Also, the North Aiken County area (between US HWY 1 and I-20) is still significantly underdeveloped. They predict that the completed I-520 perimeter will aid in this lack of development. So yes, hopefully the Augusta area will be smarter, and soon.

• 2 months later...

One day though Columbus will be a suburb of Atlanta along with Macon. Crazy thought huh? :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to disagree; Atlanta is definitely sprawling, I see that in Coweta county everyday, but I don't think the sprawl will ever consume Columbus; Maybe Macon, but not Columbus, It's just too far away. Anyway, I think Columbus has the biggest chance of becoming the next big GA city, not as big as Atlanta but maybe the size of say, Tampa. This is definitely a possibility when you think of all the companies headuquartered in the city and the many soldiers moving into the area. The next GA city that I'd really like to see grow is Savannah. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon. :(

Anyone got some history on how metro ATL became such a monster in the first place?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GEOGRAPHY, TOPOGRAPHY, AND ENVIRONMENT

The car-centered culture and resultant sprawl is pronounced in the Atlanta area partly because of the region's natural topography. There are no natural geographic barriers like mountains, lakes, or oceans to prevent the region's urbanized settlement from expanding further and further outward. The absence of geographic barriers also means that the negative environmental consequences of sprawl- particularly polluted air- affect a region far larger than the Atlanta metropolis. Air pollution is also exacerbated by Atlanta's location. Research demonstrates that, because of the usual patterns of the jet stream and other large weather patterns, the Atlanta region lies within a large pocket of generally stagnant air. This weather pattern intensifies the region's Clean Air Act attainment difficulties by keeping polluted air over and around the Atlanta area.

I have to disagree; Atlanta is definitely sprawling, I see that in Coweta county everyday, but I don't think the sprawl will ever consume Columbus; Maybe Macon, but not Columbus, It's just too far away. Anyway, I think Columbus has the biggest chance of becoming the next big GA city, not as big as Atlanta but maybe the size of say, Tampa. This is definitely a possibility when you think of all the companies headuquartered in the city and the many soldiers moving into the area. The next GA city that I'd really like to see grow is Savannah. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I-14 is built I can see Columbus boom with population. It really needs a high profile Interstate going through it though for it to become a major city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It will take some time, but it will happen. LaGrange is really taking off. Some already consider it a suburb of Atlanta even though most drive to Columbus to shop. LaGrange is only 25 or 30 miles north of Columbus! Columbus is pushing north at an alarming rate while Atlanta continues to push south. The only area that will stop Atlanta and Columbus from coming together one day is Harris County. The county doesn't want sprawl developments. Harris County needs to open up its doors to development! Yes, there are subdivisions popping up everywhere, but there is a need for more commercial development, especially along I-185. There was an article in Southern Views magazine a few months ago talking about Columbus and Atlanta touching each other one day. They came up with names such as Colanta and Atlantbus. The cities are only 90 miles apart. Macon is only 5 or 6 miles closer to Atlanta than Columbus. I-75 really helps though when it comes to Macon and Atlanta coming together. Sooner or later, Columbus and ATL will meet.

I wouldnt want to be a part of Atlantas sprawl if i were you. And good for Harris County! Maybe they will be a little more careful when it comes to development than the rest of Atlantas ugly-ass sprawl exurbs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, I wanna say something about sprawl. Yes, its bad, its not a good example of urbanism and too much can be unpleasant, but is sprawl really so bad. I think sprawl is fine in moderation. If it looks attractive, and has trees and grass and stuff it doesn't bother me so much. I'll probably be banned from Urban PLanet for saying that, but It's my opinion. Besides, you Atlanta forumers must like it to some extent because you live in it!!

Newman everyone has there own opinion. Personally I think the idea that Atlanta and Columbus or Macon will be hooked up one day is horrifying. Think of all the land that is currently wasted in the metro Atlanta region today. Do we really need to push the boundries further and further out? Why not totally build out the region first, instead of leapfrogging along interstates. Just my opinion..;)

Archived