Next large Georgia city

ATLman1

3 other stores? Any mention of what type of stores these could be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

3 of the new stores will be Wal-Mart Supercenters. The 4th will be a Sam's Club. One supercenter will be located in south Columbus and another will be located in the suburb of Midland. The Sam's Club will be built in the Columbus Park area of north Columbus. I am not sure where the 4th store will be.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ATLman,  will the Sam's club be a first or second store for Columbus?  Or will it be a replacement store for an older location?  Columbus is too big to not yet have a Sams club, but it is still a little too small for 2 of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Columbus has had a Sam's Club for years. As a matter of fact, I heard Columbus was the first city in the nation to have a Sam's Club. I believe that this store is a replacement store, but I could be wrong. I think Wal-Mart's intentions are to convert the Wal-Mart/Sam's Club on Airport Thruway into a Wal-Mart Supercenter. That would include taking the old Sam's Club to make the regular Wal-Mart into a Supercenter. The new Sam's Club is going to be built in the Columbus Park Crossing's area in north Columbus. The other Supercenters will be located in south Columbus and in the suburb of Midland. It seems like Wal-Mart is going crazy in Columbus. Retail giants have been converging on Columbus by adding new stores like crazy in the last few years. Other possible stores to the Columbus Park Crossing include another Home Depot and Kohl's. That area is going to see a lot of new construction in the coming months with more hotels, restaurants, and retail.

• 2 weeks later...

Valdosta is quickly becoming the hub of South central Georgia. It has the potential to become a very large city.

True, but the presnce of Jacksonville, Gainesville (FL), and Tallahassee nearby probably will prevent it from ever becoming a hmajor hub for the region. It has a lot to beat.

True, but the presnce of Jacksonville, Gainesville (FL), and Tallahassee nearby probably will prevent it from ever becoming a hmajor hub for the region. It has a lot to beat.

IC I don't think the presence of those other growing metro's will prevent Valdosta from being a magnet for growth in S. GA. For one thing, only Tallahassee is close enough to have much impact at all. Secondly Valdosta has some ingredients that suggest it will continue its steady growth such as interstate access and large state university. I dont know about it becoming a large city but I predict it will become the largest metro in S. Ga surpassing Albany.

I dont know about it becoming a large city but I predict it will become the largest metro in S. Ga surpassing Albany.

I was thinking it would do that soon because Albany isn't exactly a difficult rival to compete with if we go by what has been said on this board. Unless Albany starts growing soon (not to mention getting hooked up better to major roadways), Valdosta will be the hub of the area before we know it.

By the presence of those other metros I was naming, I was talking about how it might have dificulty becoming a larger regional or even national hub such as Atlanta.

I was thinking it would do that soon because Albany isn't exactly a difficult rival to compete with if we go by what has been said on this board. Unless Albany starts growing soon (not to mention getting hooked up better to major roadways), Valdosta will be the hub of the area before we know it.

By the presence of those other metros I was naming, I was talking about how it might have dificulty becoming a larger regional or even national hub such as Atlanta.

Oh yeah, I agree with that and Valdosta being anything approaching that would be a long way off anyway.

I think Albany would benefit greatly if I-185 was extended down from Columbus. The interstate should be extended down through Albany and on to Tallahassee.

They don't need to extend I-185 there. Hwy 520 is 4-lane divided highway that runs from Columbus to Albany. There are a few traffic lights, but not enough to matter. Based on the traffic I saw last year when I did a project in Dawson (Terrell County), there is NO justification for and Interstate highway along this route.

A better idea is to extend I-185 through lower Alabame (via Dothan) to I-10 to improve access to the Redneck Riviera (Panama City, Destin, etc.).

They don't need to extend I-185 there. Hwy 520 is 4-lane divided highway that runs from Columbus to Albany. There are a few traffic lights, but not enough to matter. Based on the traffic I saw last year when I did a project in Dawson (Terrell County), there is NO justification for and Interstate highway along this route.

A better idea is to extend I-185 through lower Alabame (via Dothan) to I-10 to improve access to the Redneck Riviera (Panama City, Destin, etc.).

That would be an excellent route for I-185. U.S. 431 is already 4-laned from Columbus to Panama City anyways. That is the direct route for Columbus metro and Atlanta metro residents heading down to PC and Destin. Panama City and Destin have been growing crazy over the last 10 years. Also, PC has changed its image as the redneck riviera. They have torn down almost every old springbreak place and have replaced them with highrise condo and hotel developments. Also, I have talked to some people in the Tallahassee forum and they really like the idea of extended I-185 down to Tallahassee because that would give them a direct route to Columbus and Atlanta.

One thing Savannah has that the other metro areas in Georgia don't have are smaller, but significant, urban areas nearby. Savannah, Hinesville, Hilton Head and Beaufort are all relatively large areas. These cities are in the early stages of functioning as one large metropolitan area. Several huge residential developments are in the works in the US-278 @ I-95 area, several in western Chatham County and another Effingham county (all near the I-95 corridor). Individually these areas may not be growing fast like Atlanta, but when metropolitan area definitions treat these areas as a single metropolitan area, it may jump over lots of cities in the population rankings. The question is, how quickly will these areas merge.

• 5 weeks later...

I have to agree. I'm hoping for Savannah.

NO WAY! Savannah is so special because it is a functioning 19th century city. There is nothing like it

and I don't want to see that distroyed.

But I am all for a second skyline on the other side of the river. Or something like New Orleans where there is a business district next to the historic area. I just think that the historic district should always remain protected.

• 3 weeks later...

NO WAY! Savannah is so special because it is a functioning 19th century city. There is nothing like it

and I don't want to see that distroyed.

But I am all for a second skyline on the other side of the river. Or something like New Orleans where there is a business district next to the historic area. I just think that the historic district should always remain protected.

I don't think you have to worry about that. I've read that its VERY restrictive to put up an awning in the historic areas of Savannah much less build something new. I think promoting a seperate area for a business district would be great because it could also help to revitalize some areas of the city that need redevelopment.

I've put in a bid for Atlanta to host a World Expo but I also think that Savannah would be an amazing place for such a thing. The fair grounds could be converted into a new downtown district after the event. Savannah will be a city of millions one day and now is the time to stear that growth into a district.

Hutchinson Island is screaming for something 'big' to happen there. I really can't think of a city that has more potential than Savannah.

Where else in Savannah could support a downtown highrise district?

Archived