US 41 - from Chicago to Miami

BrandonTO416

US 41 is a roadway that goes from the extreme tip of Michigan's UP bordering Lake Superior south of Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada to the southernmost portions of the continental US ending at Miami, Florida. This tour shows a little bit of of the drive down.

41mimap.gif

First in Michigan, you see the cozy looking greenery in the rural UP of Michigan.

us41-n4.jpg

Northern Michigan is pretty rural.

us41-n3.jpg

The first real city that US 41 goes through is Milwaukee, but I couldn't find any pictures. So onto Chicago we shall go, with infamous Lakeshore Drive - which is of course US 41.

41chi0.JPG

41chi1.JPG

41chi2.JPG

What a city! :)

%7Boption%7Dhttp://home.earthlink.net/~bjearnest82/us41/Chicago_Skyline_gro

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only one photo of the woods in the U.P.? Haha. There isn't much urbanity up there, although Houghton is a nice little town. There are some cool ghost towns up there though. I love the Keweenaw Peninsula, but I doubt I could stand it during the winter!

wow, I had now idea. Thanks for the mini-tour. Unfortunately, there's no sign down here saying "houghton 1990 mi".

41 in Miami ends as Calle Ocho. It ends at Brickell Ave in the financial district and home to many new skyscrapers. As it goes west it's the heart of Little Havana. Further out it turns into Tamiami (TAmpa-MIAMIA) Trail as it cuts through the Everglades and Big Cypress national parks. It's a beautiful drive, you're guaranteed to see a few alligators and wading birds.

Here's some more Pictures I found of the Miami side.

Tamiami Trail

tamiami.jpg

fl_lg.jpg

proposed skyway to replace the roadbed as it cuts through the everglades.

skyway.jpg

Calle Ocho festival in Little Havana

calleocho.jpg

calleocho.jpg

calleochofestival.jpg

Miami does not get the recognition it deserves for being an urban place.

A city that is a non-stop pop cultural icon, from Miami Vice to CSI Miami, to the nationally known gay community, the nationally known Cuban community, a city that is glorified in movies from True Lies to the Birdcage? A city the national media made the spotlight when Elian Gonzalez wasn't allowed to go back home. Little Havana was on every local news channel nationwide for 6 months.

I think you are underestimating how much attention Miami - a 4 million metro - actually gets in our culture.

So far as urbanity goes, no one will deny Miami has its urban flavor, but its not the biggest/most urban city in America. I would place it in the top 10 for certain.

I drove US 41 from north of Metro Atlanta to almost Macon, Ga about 3 months ago. Just in the Atlanta area it is a fascinating drive. It's one of the tackiest roads in Cobb County, where it's Cobb Parkway. Lots of car dealerships. Crossing the Chatahoochee River in the City of Atlanta it changes into Northside Drive and goes through ultra-wealthy Buckhead's residential area. It passes just west of Midtown and Downtown Atlanta, when it goes by Georgia Tech and then the cluster of Black Universities near downtown. South of downtown is a lower income area. It goes right by the eastern side of Hartsfield-Jackson Airport and then onto the southern suburbs of Atlanta. I kept on it and was waiting for a sign that would point me to an interstate to get back home, but I never saw one. After driving through a couple rural counties and their county seats, I was able to find I-75 and get home. It was a neat day trip and I'd recommend it to anyone else. It doesn't have to be US41, any US highway will do. They give you a much better perspective of a city than the interstate highway.

The tackiest thing is the big chicken at an old KFC on Cobb Parkway. Then again it fits the area really well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the famous "Big Chicken." All the car dealerships on Cobb Parkway use it as a landmark on their advertisements. "Just a half-mile south of the Big Chicken on Cobb Parkway."

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived