Greenville Mall

motonenterprises

Anyone know anything about Greenville Mall? Its a beautiful building with basically nothing in it. My understanding is that another company bought it recently, but haven't heard of any plans for it. The mall is basically 800,000 square feet in size if I remember correctly so its a good size. Also, why in the hell is it so close to Haywood Mall? They're probably only a mile apart.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plan for Greenville Mall calls for it to be "turned inside out," so-to-speak. The developer (whom slips my mind) will create a shopping center similar to Cherrydale, with stores open to the exterior, rather than open to the inside only. It was also said that the parking lot would be relanscaped into a more town-like atmosphere. :)

The plan for Greenville Mall calls for it to be "turned inside out," so-to-speak.  The developer (whom slips my mind) will create a shopping center similar to Cherrydale, with stores open to the exterior, rather than open to the inside only.  It was also said that the parking lot would be relanscaped into a more town-like atmosphere. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was the originall plan but they never went through with it, they may still, but nothing is planned right now as I understand. With the development of Shops at Greenridge and Shops at the Point accross the interstate from the Greenville Mall some people feel that anything that is done there may have to wait till those are full just becuase it will be hard to compete with them. Just recently Talbots announced that it was leaving the Greenville Mall for Greenridge. GSA Busniess has a neat article about the mall in its current issue, only part of the article is available online.

My opinion is that they should convert it to some kind of specialty mall, say for example fill it up with only Furniture and Home Furnshing Shop, cluster them all together create a place that people will travel to shop at. BUt that might not work either, just a thought.

The plan for Greenville Mall calls for it to be "turned inside out," so-to-speak.  The developer (whom slips my mind) will create a shopping center similar to Cherrydale, with stores open to the exterior, rather than open to the inside only.  It was also said that the parking lot would be relanscaped into a more town-like atmosphere. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like a good idea. Woodfruff Road's traffic is going to get alot worse in the next few years :)

Actually, Greenville's first mall was either McAlister Square or the Bell Tower Mall on University Ridge (currently the county government offices).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know, but I meant the first out of Greenville Mall and Haywood.

Is it too close to Haywood to get business? None of this stuff seems to be hurting Haywood at all. Its not far from Woodruff Rd. Greenville Mall should be prospering! The strip mall on the same land is thriving, so is the theatre right by the mall. Why can't the mall prosper?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its that the mall is too close, not the shopping. Also, people have this assumption that Gville Mall sucks, so they won't go.

I think part of it is that the Store that would go in the Mall just would rather be in the Haywood Mall. If the Greenville Mall could land some really good stores I think if they got enough of them people would go.

BTW the Food court is almost totally empty now.

BTW the Food court is almost totally empty now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the entire MALL is almost totally empty. Isn't Oshman's the only anchor left? Greenville Mall is a white elephant. They should have turned it into a Power Center (large strip shopping center) before all the new development on the Hollingsworth land started. By waiting they are really behind the 8 ball IMO.

In the eight years I have been here, the mall has never been successful, it is even less so now. Enclosed malls are heading out of style. Their major renovation came just as malls started to fall out of favor to large strip centers.

Who knows what will help the Greenville Mall its never really been successfull.Maybe the new road widening project from laurens rd. to roper mtn. road will help. This project should be let soon. Also does anyone know whats going to happen to lowes old building at woodruff and roper mtn.

It is a shame that the mall has so extremely unsuccessful. With 2 of the anchors going out of business (JB White and Montgomery Ward) and Parisian changing over to Proffitts, I don't think any other mall has had such bad luck. I heard that it was owned by a bank now and they weren't interested in making it profitable. The mall has gone through very bad management (or mismanagement rather) in the last few years. Carrabba's was supposed to have been built on one of the outparcels but the mall managers changed their minds and gave the lease option to Ruby Tuesday. That's why Carrabba's went across the street. Also Bass Pro Shops recently showed some interest in the old Dillard's/JB White building and were willing to remodel the store and even extend it all the way to the food court but the mall turned down their bid. It's like the mall owners want the mall to fail. Must be a tax write-off or something...

By the way, anybody heard whether or not Cheesecake factory is coming to Haywood? It would be a very nice addition. As for the malls being so close together, I think that there are still plenty of stores that Greenville does not have yet. If Greenville mall managers would try to get some of these stores it wouldn't matter how close the malls are together as long as there was diversity...(ex. Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, BCBG, Tommy Bahama, Sharper Image, Borders Books, etc...) Also Greenville Mall is losing Eddie Bauer to Haywood and White House/Black Market to Greenridge. That leaves Harold's, Finish Line, and Oshman's.....too bad...it has a lot of potential. It is actually in a better location than Haywood. Horrible management I guess..

Actually, the entire MALL is almost totally empty.  Isn't Oshman's the only anchor left?  Greenville Mall is a white elephant.  They should have turned it into a Power Center (large strip shopping center) before all the new development on the Hollingsworth land started.  By waiting they are really behind the 8 ball IMO.

In the eight years I have been here, the mall has never been successful, it is even less so now.  Enclosed malls are heading out of style.  Their major renovation came just as malls started to fall out of favor to large strip centers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oshman's got bought recently by Sports Authority, from what I understand the Oshmans in the mall will become a Sports Authority.

As for closed malls becomeing out of style, I was at Haywoord Friday at like 2 and the place was packed, so I woundl't say they are going the way of the dinosaur, maybe less popular than their prime but for just walking around window shopping they are still great at least in the winter months they are.

BTW, A Bass Pro Shop at Greenville Mall in my opinion could have reserected it.

Oshman's got bought recently by Sports Authority, from what I understand the Oshmans in the mall will become a Sports Authority.

As for closed malls becomeing out of style, I was at Haywoord Friday at like 2 and the place was packed, so I woundl't say they are going the way of the dinosaur, maybe less popular than their prime but for just walking around window shopping they are still great at least in the winter months they are.

BTW, A Bass Pro Shop at Greenville Mall in my opinion could have reserected it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Malls aren't dead, just on the way out. Considering it is the ONLY mall in a county of 400,000 I would expect it to be packed. It use to be that malls were the only real place to shop. Now you have power centers, town centers, big box category killers (Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Home Depot, etc.) and of course Targets and Walmarts galore. I haven't set foot in Haywood Mall in years. I use to do most of my major shopping (ie Christmas and other major purchases) there.

The novelty and entertainment aspects of malls have largely worn off. Consumers have less time for shopping now, they want to go to one place and get what they want and leave. I bet nation-wide very few NEW enclosed malls are getting built and the ones that are,are in hyper-growth new-sprawl areas. At least that is what I have picked up on.

I agree that Bass Pro Shop would have been a great addition to Gville Mall. It's big, unique,with no genuine competion and it's a destination-type store. Someone must have been brain dead to turn that down.

That's exactly the kind of store I'd love to see in Greenville. :)  It seems that there are times when developers miss out on highly potentially proffitable investments.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SC has a great market for everything in the store. I wish I didn't have to go to Charlotte to get to one.

Went into Palmetto Home and Garden today. It is huge in there and a nice store! Hope it jump starts the mall. They have been having good crowds during the day. A vendor I talked to in the store said that 100 vendors are setting up upstairs before the month is out. There are a few upstairs now. This store is a lot larger than the one they moved out of. Vendor also mentioned talks of Bass Pro Shops taking one of the anchor stores, so maybe it is still in the works. If you haven't been then go.

Archived