Greenville Mall

motonenterprises

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! That sounds mighty interesting. Mighty interesting indeed. :huh: I have a hunch we may soon hear something about that mall. It kind of makes sense afterall, the shopping mega-corridor has begun to shift in that direction. Actually, in a few years it will be right in the center of lots of major development (Verdae, ICAR, Millennium Campus, The Point, Villagio Verde, etc.) and will certainly stand to substantially benefit in large numbers of shoppers, not to mention money. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Greenville Mall last night and really think it'll have a date with a wrecking ball soon. The Plaza at Greenville Mall and movie theater are still doing fine, and there's even a new Ruby Tuesday in the parking lot, all showing that the real estate is usable.

The enclosed mall, though, really doesn't have a future; with May being bought by Federated, and with Greenville lacking the demographics to land a Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus, there aren't any department store anchors that the mall could attract; upscale national in-line tenants are heading to Haywood Mall and strip centers, and even decent local tenants are heading downtown. Greenville Mall has attracted some new tenants, such as a karate studio, but they aren't anything that could create a thriving mall. I'm surprised that the mall is even still open; I'd be surprised if it's profitable these days. When even the McDonald's has closed, there's not much hope.

When even the McDonald's has closed, there's not much hope.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, from what I have heard, a closed McDonald's is a rareity.

I agree that it is due for the wrecking ball. They should have already done that years ago, now developement have leapfrogged the mall entirely.

The McDonald's inside the mall closed. Even Villa Pizza closed, as did even the dog grooming salon next to Harold's.

I'm surprised that Ruby Tuesday would build a new restaurant in the parking lot rather than in the mall itself, close to the movie theater. Perhaps the mall building is already scheduled for big changes or demolition?

The McDonald's inside the mall closed.  Even Villa Pizza closed, as did even the dog grooming salon next to Harold's.

I'm surprised that Ruby Tuesday would build a new restaurant in the parking lot rather than in the mall itself, close to the movie theater.  Perhaps the mall building is already scheduled for big changes or demolition?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. I haven't been in there for so long, I hadn't noticed. Wow. :(

Ruby Tuesday wanted to go head-to-head with Friday's across the street, I think. Plus, they probably saw the writing on the wall with respect to the mall being a target for demolition.

Talbot's and White House/Black Market are scheduled to leave by the end of the year and Eddie Bauer is leaving at the beginning of next year. I can't imagine what retail stores would agree to come to a mall where all the tenants are leaving unless someone knows something I don't which I hope is the case. At this point I don't even think a Bass Pro Shop could help that mall. Even if the store did well on its own, no small shops are going to be there to get people into the mall itself.

Does anyone know where Harold's is headed? The store seems to do OK, so hopefully it would relocate nearby rather than closing for good.

I find this whole discussion of Greenville Mall discouraging; it was such a nice mall but had such bad luck and perhaps bad management. It could have turned into a mini-Phipps Plaza but we end up with a city full of dead malls and only one living one that isn't that great. Back to the days of driving to Atlanta for good shopping.

I went to Greenville Mall last night and really think it'll have a date with a wrecking ball soon.  The Plaza at Greenville Mall and movie theater are still doing fine, and there's even a new Ruby Tuesday in the parking lot, all showing that the real estate is usable. 

The enclosed mall, though, really doesn't have a future; with May being bought by Federated, and with Greenville lacking the demographics to land a Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus, there aren't any department store anchors that the mall could attract; upscale national in-line tenants are heading to Haywood Mall and strip centers, and even decent local tenants are heading downtown.  Greenville Mall has attracted some new tenants, such as a karate studio, but they aren't anything that could create a thriving mall.  I'm surprised that the mall is even still open; I'd be surprised if it's profitable these days.  When even the McDonald's has closed, there's not much hope.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How far is Greenville from having the demographics to support something like Nordstrom's, Nieman Marcus, or even a Bloomingdale's? I know we are not a huge place with tons of wealthy people, but I would think we can't be too far from being able to support one of these high-end retailers. If anyone has any of these answers, or comments about Greenville's demographics, I would love to hear them. Perhaps it should be its own thread even...

From what I hear the Palmetto Home store or whatever it's called is doing just fine. So I don't know why the rest of the stores can't make it? This store more than tripled their square footage because business was so big and doing so well... Makes you wonder...

By the way, I would rather go to The Greenville Mall any day over the Haywood. I just don't have the desire to struggle to find parking, wait in long lines and deal with massive crowds. I might have been the only one, but I always went to the Greenville Mall stores everytime, when they were open, before I went to the Haywood Mall as a back-up.

From what I hear the Palmetto Home store or whatever it's called is doing just fine. So I don't know why the rest of the stores can't make it? This store more than tripled their square footage because business was so big and doing so well... Makes you wonder...

By the way, I would rather go to The Greenville Mall any day over the Haywood. I just don't have the desire to struggle to find parking, wait in long lines and deal with massive crowds. I might have been the only one, but I always went to the Greenville Mall stores everytime, when they were open, before I went to the Haywood Mall as a back-up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think my wife is single-handedly keeping Palmetto Home and Garden in business. :o Honestly, that's a great store.

I agree as well about Greenville vs. Haywood malls. I've been here for 2 years now, I think I've been inside the Haywood Mall three times. :wacko:

Does Parisian still exist? I was thinking that Proffitt's bought out Parisian. That is at least what has happened to a lot of Parisians. I think the parent company is based in Tennessee. Is there still a Proffitt's at Westgate Mall in Spartanburg?

I don't really care if Greenville has a Proffitt's/Parisian or not. I consider it a pretty standard department store and not as nice as Macy's. I would love for us to have a Nordstrom, but it is hard to know whether we are close to that level or not.

I am curious about what kind of formula a store like that uses to decide on target markets, and how we compare. That probably isn't possible though. :)

Does Parisian still exist?  I was thinking that Proffitt's bought out Parisian.  That is at least what has happened to a lot of Parisians.  I think the parent company is based in Tennessee.  Is there still a Proffitt's at Westgate Mall in Spartanburg?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello all. I'm new to this forum. Greenville born and bred. Clemson grad now exiled to the Birmingham area (hence the screen name).

Though I'm not sure of the exact relationships, I do know that Parisian, Proffitt's and Saks are all part of the same company based here in Birmingham. I believe that Parisian actually bought Saks a few years ago and moved its offices here, which predictably didn't sit well with the New Yorkers who were asked to move or lose their jobs.

Birmingham, which really isn't that much bigger than Gville (a 30% bigger urban splotch is my guess), supports at least 3 Parisians and one Saks, in addition to all the other run-of-the-mill dept stores--except Dillards.

I do not doubt that Parisian's downfall at Greenville Mall was mall-related. If Parisian were to occupy a sixth store at Haywood Mall (someone mentioned that possibility, didn't they?), it would do a bang-up business. I think something higher end could do well in Greenville, but probably not in a mall under the current circumstances. Only if they find a way to do something like the Summit here in Birmingham, which is a very large, high-end "strip" center with both Saks and Parisian at the edge of Mountain Brook, a suburban city of maybe 20,000 with mostly Crescent/McDaniel demographics.

Greenville's mall situation is strange.

Cheers

Belk is buying Proffitt's and McRae's from Saks Incorporated.  Parisian is not directly affected by the sale.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After Saks Inc. finishes selling its mid-market chains, it will run just Parisian and Saks Fifth Avenue. I think that bodes well for Parisian, since being part of the same family as Saks probably will lead to even more high-end merchandise at Parisian.

I do hope that Parisian returns to Greenville. I find the city's retail scene depressing; Greenville Mall was such a nice mall, and there used to be so many malls, but now the only one left, Haywood, is nothing special.

I do agree with you. To have just one shopping destination ( like haywood mall-had to be specific ) in a growing urban area isn't cool. In a way that is why I like the fact that the developers of cherrydale point took the chance with that place. It

gives a little variety to greenville. Instead of this one big giant blob of shopping centers. like the west side of spartanburg. That is the reason they are growing wopsided now. :rofl: Hey Simpsonville is like that to. :rolleyes: But they are trying to do better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Granted the Westside of Spartanburg has a large concentration of shopping, but it is not any more lop-sided here than it is over in Greenville with the new Woodruff Rd/Laruens Rd area.

We have Hillcrest on the Eastside which has many of the same stores as the Westside, with the exception of Westgate Mall, and is very comparable to Cherydale. We just need one of those new theaters now :)

Also, Spartanburg's major growth is very much westward, but Boiling Springs has more growth than it knows what to do with too. The Westside can handle it. In my view, the Eastide maybe starting to ramp up again. There is alot of infill and redevelopment going on in, and quite a few subdivisions- but its not at the scale of the west side of town.... yet.

Archived