Greenville Mall

motonenterprises

TJ Maxx stores are generally about 20-30,000 square feet and TJ Maxx 'n More stores are about 50-60,000 square feet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You all have it. The main difference seems to be in the home section, which carries furniture, etc. There is one in Asheville that seems to do fairly well, and I would think it would be successful in Greenville.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not all anchor stores have to be your clothing department stores. Since the Parisian brand did not last long, is Greenville Mall up for another premium department store?

We all know Bass Pro Shops have been actively looking in this region for a store. Could they be one of the new anchors?

Did the Greenville Journal say something about two restaurants occupying some existing parcels? I'm thinking this would be down near the old Dillard's end. I assume it would be along the lines of Ruby Tuesday's, Applebee's, etc. or maybe Red Lobster.

Considering how Red Lobster does in the upstate, I am shocked almsot that there is not already a Red Lobster in either the Haywood Rd. or Woodruff Rd. Markets.

The one on Wade Hampton does amazing business, I think I once heard it was their best performing store.

Did some one in the forums here mention that?

It was many years ago when I heard this, but Red Lobster usually puts one eatery in town and that's it. I can understand why. Their food is so good it keeps people coming back; therefore, it is consistently busy. That is what makes their locations very profitable.

I think the Woodruff Road area could support one if Red Lobster ever decides for an additional location.

It was many years ago when I heard this, but Red Lobster usually puts one eatery in town and that's it.  I can understand why.  Their food is so good it keeps people coming back; therefore, it is consistently busy.  That is what makes their locations very profitable.

I think the Woodruff Road area could support one if Red Lobster ever decides for an additional location.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of the other Darden Restraunts open along Woodruff Road: Bahama Breeze and/or Smokey Bones. Both do VERY WELL and would benefit from being in Greenville!

I have a friend who is a manager at Red Lobster. He says that both Bahama Breeze and Smokey Bones are looking at the Woodruff Road area. That could mean anywhere on Woodruff. I did email both and Smokey Bones did confirm that they were looking but Bahama Breeze did not...They usually do not like to confirm anything until they have signed a lease...

I have a friend who is a manager at Red Lobster.  He says that both Bahama Breeze and Smokey Bones are looking at the Woodruff Road area.  That could mean anywhere on Woodruff.  I did email both and Smokey Bones did confirm that they were looking but Bahama Breeze did not...They usually do not like to confirm anything until they have signed a lease...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are a couple of outparcels in front of the new Whole Foods Market / Circuit City at the Point on Woodruff which would be idea for both! :thumbsup:

I made a slight voyage down Woodruff Road yesterday. I find it quite stupid that people stop on green lights, which causes people to block the intersections, and wrecks will soon occur.

I wnet inside Greenville Mall yesterday., mostly to check out Oshman's since the new Dick's was not as good as I thought in selection. Numerous cars were parked between Palmetto Home & Garden and the former Montgomery Ward. I assume it was just some shoppers and mall walkers.

I woudl like to see some restaurants in front of Circuit City and Whole Foods. If they want to improve access, a traffic signal is greatly needed at Woodruff and Carolina Point, which hooks up with Millenium Boulevard.

I have a friend who is a manager at Red Lobster.  He says that both Bahama Breeze and Smokey Bones are looking at the Woodruff Road area.  That could mean anywhere on Woodruff.  I did email both and Smokey Bones did confirm that they were looking but Bahama Breeze did not...They usually do not like to confirm anything until they have signed a lease...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the best news I have heard in a while! Smokey Bones is an awseom restaurant. Better than Sticky Fingers I think. I am excited about this. Now I won't have to go to Columbia to get it :)

I talked with someone who works at Palmetto Home and Garden yesterday and he said that he did not know who leased the Dillard's/JB White building but in the old Montgomery Ward building there is going to be a store similar to Home Depot EXPO Design Center. He didn't think it was actually going to be EXPO but something much similar and locally owned. Other than that, he didn't know much either. He did say that the new owners of the mall wanted the mall to be more of an "eclectic" destination.

I talked with someone who works at Palmetto Home and Garden yesterday and he said that he did not know who leased the Dillard's/JB White building but in the old Montgomery Ward building there is going to be a store similar to Home Depot EXPO Design Center.  He didn't think it was actually going to be EXPO but something much similar and locally owned.  Other than that, he didn't know much either.  He did say that the new owners of the mall wanted the mall to be more of an "eclectic" destination.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So Blacklion or the like?

Do we know who the new owners are?

I'd guess that Greenville Mall will now be a class B or C mall for the near future- poor thing, at least it won't be as dead as it is now, but still...

So Blacklion or the like?

Do we know who the new owners are? 

I'd guess that Greenville Mall will now be a class B or C mall for the near future- poor thing, at least it won't be as dead as it is now, but still...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't imagine it will be Black Lion---too similar to Palmetto Home and Garden. (though the Black Lion's Ive been in don't seem as high end) I would hope that eclectic means that the mall will fill with more unique, one of a kind stores like Palmetto Home and Garden, for every niche. We won't be that lucky though.

Whatever the locally-owned anchors are, I don't see them as being anything more than a way for G'ville Mall to pay the bills until the mall is redeveloped. Especially given the mall's location on booming Woodruff Road, when regular national tenants come along, I think Greenville Mall will be rebuilt to house them.

Look at the malls that had locally-owned tenants/anchors- they haven't lasted long. Richland Mall in Columbia, which is similar to Greenville Mall (formerly upscale, now dead), lost its Dillard's, which was replaced by a Blacklion and an anchor called "The Department Store." Richland is about to be redeveloped. McAlister Square filled its vacant Dillard's with a gym, Legends sporting goods store, and other things, and it the mall closed and was converted into office/educational space. The mall on 123 in Easley that lost its Wal-Mart was torn down, even though a junky anchor filled the space. I don't think Bell Tower had anything to replace its departed anchors before it closed but maybe it did.

Basically, look for Greenville Mall to be redeveloped, despite having new "anchors."

Whatever the locally-owned anchors are, I don't see them as being anything more than a way for G'ville Mall to pay the bills until the mall is redeveloped.  Especially given the mall's location on booming Woodruff Road, when regular national tenants come along, I think Greenville Mall will be rebuilt to house them.

Look at the malls that had locally-owned tenants/anchors- they haven't lasted long.  Richland Mall in Columbia, which is similar to Greenville Mall (formerly upscale, now dead), lost its Dillard's, which was replaced by a Blacklion and an anchor called "The Department Store."  Richland is about to be redeveloped.  McAlister Square filled its vacant Dillard's with a gym, Legends sporting goods store, and other things, and it the mall closed and was converted into office/educational space.  The mall on 123 in Easley that lost its Wal-Mart was torn down, even though a junky anchor filled the space.  I don't think Bell Tower had anything to replace its departed anchors before it closed but maybe it did.

Basically, look for Greenville Mall to be redeveloped, despite having new "anchors."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I fully agree. Its location is far too valuable for subprime anchors to think they have a permanent home there. I'll always be amazed that the shops at Greenridge could do so well while a mile away the Greenville Mall has faltered.

The people at Harold's told me that Greenville Mall is built on a cemetery; they think that Greenville Mall failed because it is cursed.  Go figure, but that poor mall never did well, and Urban Retail Properties completely wasted its investment in it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never saw the mall in its "old" state. I wish someone had pictures up to show the difference...sounds like its tremendous.

I never saw the mall in its "old" state. I wish someone had pictures up to show the difference...sounds like its tremendous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oddly, I remember the old days of the mall. In the Montgomery Ward wing, there was a pet store, a Plej's, and a play area. Near the bend in the mall, now its center court, there was a Burger King with a rotating sign. Besides a pizzeria, a Morrison's Cafeteria and the diagonal inclining ramps, there was nothing exciting near the J. B. White's end except the store itself.

South Town Mall in Indiana, featured on deadmalls.com, looks very similar in style and deadness to Greenville Mall in its pre-1995 renovation.

When I walked through Greenville Mall when it re-opened in 1995, I was absolutely astounded how much nicer it was than in its 1978 version. I couldn't believe that stores such as Williams-Sonoma were in such a formerly dumpy mall.

On the outside, Greenville Mall was brown/beige; the 1970s-era cement blocks on part of the former JBWhite/Dillard's and old (pre-1995) Ward's spaces are originals. On the inside, the skylights and wood parts of the ceiling are mostly originals. The old interior space had a white tile floor, peach/orange paint throughout and purple/wood frames around the storefronts. There was also a kid's playground near Montgomery Ward and there were staircases and street lamps in the interior part.

Walking from JB White, on the right there was a Kay Jewelers, a store called Christy's (?), a Morrison's Cafeteria at the first mall entrance near JB White, and then a Peanut Shack, a Great American Cookie Company (?), a cheap shirt store, and lots of vacancies that had been boarded up with peach-colored storefronts. There was no food court; the current food court was a Rite Aid, and then continuing on the right was a George's Bootery, a second mall entrance with vacancies and a Two Guys' Pizza (?), and then a Pearle Vision, a Body Shop (not the Crabtree & Evelyn-type thing), a K-B Toys, more cheap stores, a cheap furniture store in the 1978-version's final days (I think it had been a Bass Pro Shop originally, oddly enough), more vacancies, a Kinney Shoes, a Peppermint Records, a Chick-fil-A (with a dark red floor), a Hennessy's Jewelers, another mall entrance with a 2-screen movie theater, an Aladdin's Castle, a run-down diner-type restaurant (the Dog House?), and then Montgomery Ward. Walking from Montgomery Ward on the right, there was a pet shop that closed, a McCrory's five-and-dime that closed and which became a Plej's (which eventually moved to the strip near McAlister Square), a Fashion Bug, a Casual Corner that closed, a former Western store that closed and moved to Haywood, a Burger King, a Payless shoe store, a Hallmark store, a Gap that closed and that was replaced by a cheap urban clothing store, vacancies, a Waldenbooks, the Limited, a local women's clothing store that also was downtown in the Ivey's building, more vacancies, a children's clothing store that closed, a McCall's menswear store that closed and that was replaced with a JB White big-and-tall store, a Camelot Music store, and then back to JB White.

There were probably more stores there but you get the picture- that place was a dump. Even the mall directory was just a wooden map with the store names with unmatched letters stuck on.

What surprised me is that the 1978 incarnation of the mall was mostly leased until about 1990; the place was pretty dead but there were still a decent number of stores there until the early 1990s, even though the place wasn't a nice mall at all. I always thought that the mall flopped because it was run-down and wasn't renovated; I thought that if the mall were remodeled, it would do fine. I was realy surprised when the 1995 version really didn't last more than a few years, even though it was such a nice mall- far nicer than Haywood. If I owned Greenville Mall, I would just give up; the place really has no future as enclosed mall, despite the owners having tried just about everything to make it work.

Richland Mall in Columbia, which is similar to Greenville Mall (formerly upscale, now dead), lost its Dillard's, which was replaced by a Blacklion and an anchor called "The Department Store."  Richland is about to be redeveloped...The mall on 123 in Easley that lost its Wal-Mart was torn down, even though a junky anchor filled the space.  I don't think Bell Tower had anything to replace its departed anchors before it closed but maybe it did.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what's up with Richland? Anybody have a link to plans? It always did seem like the odd mall in Columbia...I like your analogy to Greenville Mall!

And which mall in Easley are you talking about....the one with Belk and Penney's? Or is there another one which I (apparently) never did notice driving down 123?

Oh! And if anyone has any pictures of Bell Tower before the conversion to county ofices, I'd love to see them...

Matt

(In Charlotte now, but still long to return to Greenville.)

Archived