Rendering of Joseph-Beth

DigitalSky

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joesph Beth of course.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This will be the fourth major book store in the southpark area.

- Barnes and Nobles at sharon and fairview

- Borders at sharon and colony

- Books-a-million under construction at randolph and sharon amity

- now Joseph Beth at fairview and barclay downs

The university area doesn't have a single bookstores beyond textbook sellers. (I'm not counting the books-a-million at concord mills).

I think a large bookstore would be a big win for downtown, but with southpark so saturated, it makes it fairly unlikely that one would be built any time soon.

I believe a Border's is part of Grubb's Elizabeth Ave. plan...though I don't think they plan to open it until 2008-2009. I would assume that a Barnes and Noble would eventually go uptown, either in a future building in Gateway Village or more likely into whatever gets built on Levine's land in 1st Ward.

The funny thing about the University.....I did a study in graduate school on whether or not Univ. City could support a B&N, and the answer was no (at least in 2002).....in fact, the B&N on Independence that shut down had better demographics........my conlusions were that 2007 would be the earliest that one could be supported, and then only their smallest store design.

The university area doesn't have a single bookstores beyond textbook sellers.  (I'm not counting the books-a-million at concord mills). 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When Media Play opened in the University area a few years ago it busted all of the books stores that were located in the area.

The university area doesn't have a single bookstores beyond textbook sellers.  (I'm not counting the books-a-million at concord mills). 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I realized that recently when trying to find some books I wanted to read. I ended up driving all the way to Independence to find what I wanted (by the way, Books-a-Million @ Concord Mills... your selection sucks)

I think it's ironic that a University of 20,000 and a surrounding community of 100,000 can't support a non-text-bookstore. Such is the non-culture we live in, no? ::sulks::

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah it's true the University area i think is really ready for a major bookseller

I think the closest (besides the Books A Million in CM) is the Barnes & Noble at Birkdale Village (which is 15 miles away)...

Hopefully Northlake mall will get bookstore... Borders or something

But yeah they really need something in the immediate University area i think.. I mean there are power centers all around UNCC but none have a major bookstore

When you mentioned Media Play, I actually just assumed there must be a media play off Harris somewhere.... but i looked it up to see where one is in charlotte: South and Woodlawn (and a few others in the metro)!!!

In other words, they don't even have a Media Play in the University City area, but i'd almost count South and Woodlawn as the South Park area, which must be where all the readers live in charlotte.

When you mentioned Media Play, I actually just assumed there must be a media play off Harris somewhere.... but i looked it up to see where one is in charlotte:  South and Woodlawn (and a few others in the metro)!!!

In other words, they don't even have a Media Play in the University City area, but i'd almost count South and Woodlawn as the South Park area, which must be where all the readers live in charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There used to be a Media Play in the Harris Teeter shopping center at Harris Blvd and University City Blvd

Yes the Media Play is now closed......still, as I said.....B&N uses a 2.5 mile trade area, and the population living in that radius of the University is only 1/2 of any other store in CHarlotte and the median household income is 1/3 the average of their other stores........this roughly translates into 1/6th the buying power as their other Charlotte trade areas (this again is based on 2002 numbers).....also, UNCC is a commuter school, and a decent portion of the students don't live in the immediate area.........

Yes the Media Play is now closed......still, as I said.....B&N uses a 2.5 mile trade area, and the population living in that radius of the University is only 1/2 of any other store in CHarlotte and the median household income is 1/3 the average of their other stores........this roughly translates into 1/6th the buying power as their other Charlotte trade areas (this again is based on 2002 numbers).....also, UNCC is a commuter school, and a decent portion of the students don't live in the immediate area.........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With a 2.5 mi., uptown/elizabeth might be a really good candidate, then. that is 4-5 miles away from southpark, and 2.5 radius contains some very successful neighborhoods. As always, i wish Grubb well.

Is this number from a study?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know about that number, but the consultant on city development at the CCP meeting last year said he thought it would take 15,000.

Cany anyone project how long that will take to happen? Seems like we're adding at least 250 to 300 units this year. Maybe 500 people this year. Big projections are for like 1,000 units in 2006. So, maybe 1,000 to 1,500 people then. Puts us at about 12,000. Oh, and we have students too.

Hmmm. Maybe 2007-2008 if the building announcements aren't all baloney and we keep on the pace we've been going at. 2010 would be the full monty at 15,000.

Hard to believe we'd increase the uptown population by then, but the several thousand from Johnson and Wales helps a bit.

They did not start with the retail development that exists now in Huntersville until the town's population crossed the 35,000 mark. When we moved there in '94, (when there were only 6,000) there was nothing up there. I suspect that Huntersville's population is over 42K now, and would be higher if not for the extreme zoning restrictions that Huntersville has now on new development.

They did not start with the retail development that exists now in Huntersville until the town's population crossed the 35,000 mark.  When we moved there in '94, (when there were only 6,000) there was nothing up there.  I suspect that Huntersville's population is over 42K now, and would be higher if not for the extreme zoning restrictions that Huntersville has now on new development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uptown has a lot more people that will be in during the evenings for events at the arena, that should help. So, if you've got 40,000 workers during the day and then 19,000 or so for the arena at night, combined with 12,000 to 15,000 in a 1x1 square mile area, that's a lot of potential shoppers. On the downside is that the land has got to be pretty expensive. I am crossing my fingers that Mr. Levine passes some of the savings he got from his deal for first ward land on to potential small scale, independent shopowners. At least based on what I understand, he's a pretty upstanding guy with the best interests of the community in mind, even though I am sure that profit is of course a motive.

Archived