Rendering of Joseph-Beth

DigitalSky

How many nights out of the year do you think the arena will have 19K people?  And my guess that after blowing more than $100 or so to attend a game for a family of 4, there won't be a lot of shopping going on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never underestimate the ability of Charlotteans to spend money or how much money they have to spend, especially when they've had a few drinks. How many million dollar houses can you drive past in 15 minutes?

Also, any tickets I get will be compliments of my employer. I think about half of the reserved ones are essentially free to those using them becaue they're .

Don't forget that they plan to have concerts and other things every other night. Experiential type things make people spend a lot more than just raw shopping by walking through a mall.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elric.....point taken, furthermore, season tickets (a definite majority of the total tickets) reserved seats are pre-paid anyways, so even though people attending did in fact pay for them, their out of wallet expense for the night is only what they buy before, during, or after the game and for parking. A sort of out of sight-out of mind approach to entertainment costs.

I'd say a small majority of arena-goers will be paying for the entertainment that night as a walk-up, considering things like the circus, ice-skating shoes are almost always pre-paid. Additionally, I think the attendance for event will increase due to the fact that about 10,000 people live within walking distance to the arena. I would never drive out to the coliseum on a whim to go to a game if I thought that it might sell out or any decent seat was gone, but I might stroll over if I lived downtown and I was feeling bored and had some money burning a hole in my pocket.

I think that as long as suburbanites feel safe, that there are destination stores to go to, and that it is reasonably quick to get uptown, they will make the trip and spend their money.

A big plus for retail in the center city is that a significant percentage road capacity in the 10 miles surrounding downtown leads downtown... In many cases, it will be easier to get downtown than to go out to the 485 shopping areas. The road capacity is so large for rush hour, that it is a pleasure to drive in the center city in the evenings and weekends.

This would be especially be true for the Southpark area for shops such as Home Depot Expo, Target, and any others that aren't duplicated.

• 1 month later...

We have Joseph Beth here in Lexington, KY , it started here and in Cincinnati back in the mid 1980's. It seems as though they are expanding everywhere now - Cleveland, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, etc. I can honestly tell you from seeing J.B., Borders and Barnes and Noble here that J.B. is the nicest of them all! They carry the largest selection and have a more friendly staff. I hope they do not turn into a "cookie cutter" type bookstore on every corner in the U.S. :)

I think they will continue to expand rapidly but I think the quality of their stores and selection is going to be their main selling point. The new JB in Charlotte is opening across the street from both a Barnes and Noble and a Borders. When JB execs were questioned on there location selection they said that they had put a lot of effort into it and were confident with there location and in going head to head with the other two, so I don't see them slouching on quality. However I did peruse the website and have to say that the exterior of several of there other stores are more impressive then the Charlotte store, of course the exterior here had to fit in with the rest of the mall so...

However I did peruse the website and have to say that the exterior of several of there other stores are more impressive then the Charlotte store, of course the exterior here had to fit in with the rest of the mall so...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The back of SouthPark turned into a beige dryvit disaster. Still, if Joseph Beth has the goods like I've heard, it'll do fine, cartoon exterior and all.

.also, UNCC is a commuter school, and a decent portion of the students don't live in the immediate area.........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the same percentage of students live on campus at UNC Charlotte that live on campus at NCSU and UNC-CH (about 33%). In addition, about 3,000 live immediately adjacent to the campus.

So, I guess NCSU and UNC-CH are commuter schools too.

Archived