Future Developement of downtown Cola property?

gamecockgop2004

Does anyone have any information about any future planned development on the corner of Assembly and Pendleton streets? This is the current site of the "Heart of Columbia" motel, which is slated to be demolished in the early spring (per the state newspaper).

Also, for you convention center fans--I recently found out from the vice-president that in the next 2-3 years, the Columbia Metro. Convention Center people plan to add an additional 30,000ish sq feet of meeting space onto the side of the convention center that faces the colonial center.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum gamecockgop!

I didn't know that they were going to tear it down! Good riddance. That spot is prime real estate. Perhaps USC will buy it for the research center?

That is good news about the convention center. I take it that it has been successful so far?

• 1 month later...

spartan, thanks for the welcome. yes the convention center does seem to be doing well.  Although they were hoping on bringing morebusiness in from out of state (which will happen, but not this year) compared to the business they are getting from other places around columbia.  Money is money, so I'm sure they dont mind

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you the same gamecockGOP2004 from the Gamecock Insider's site?

Does anyone have any information about any future planned development on the corner of Assembly and Pendleton streets?  This is the current site of the "Heart of Columbia" motel, which is slated to be demolished in the early spring (per the state newspaper).

Also, for you convention center fans--I recently found out from the vice-president that in the next 2-3 years, the Columbia Metro. Convention Center people plan to add an additional 30,000ish sq feet of meeting space onto the side of the convention center that faces the colonial center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that's really good news. I drove a friend of mine by the convention center and the Colonial Center Sunday night; I didn't know they were planning on adding new space, that's cool. I haven't had the privilege of going inside yet, but at the least I know I'll get to see inside this summer during a church convention. What type of feel does it have? Does it remind anyone of any other convention center?

Wow, that's really good news. I drove a friend of mine by the convention center and the Colonial Center Sunday night; I didn't know they were planning on adding new space, that's cool. I haven't had the privilege of going inside yet, but at the least I know I'll get to see inside this summer during a church convention. What type of feel does it have? Does it remind anyone of any other convention center?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not huge, but I think it feels big enough. I've been in the Georgia World Congress Center, in Atlanta, several times and I wouldn't say it's nicer than ours, just much bigger.

Does anyone have any information about any future planned development on the corner of Assembly and Pendleton streets?

Honestly (and unfortunately) I don't think there are any plans for development at this point, which I really don't understand. That property is an extemely important piece of land.

I wish that USC would buy the land, add another research campus building there to go along with the Arnold School of Pulic Heath building (under construction now) and then tear down the large ex-hotel that sits between them (USC owned).

As for the convention center, it has a modern feel inside but is very nicely and tastefully done IMO. Very comfortable.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any information about any future planned development on the corner of Assembly and Pendleton streets?  This is the current site of the "Heart of Columbia" motel, which is slated to be demolished in the early spring (per the state newspaper).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it seems as though "early spring" has come and gone and that eyesore yet remains.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly (and unfortunately) I don't think there are any plans for development at this point, which I really don't understand.  That property is an extemely important piece of land.

I wish that USC would buy the land, add another research campus building there to go along with the Arnold School of Pulic Heath building (under construction now) and then tear down the large ex-hotel that sits between them (USC owned).

As for the convention center, it has a modern feel inside but is very nicely and tastefully done IMO.  Very comfortable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Carolina Plaza building (next to the future SPH) is slated to be torn down. All the USC offices that were housed there have been relocated elsewhere. Not sure about the timetable for demolition though.

The Carolina Plaza building (next to the future SPH) is slated to be torn down.  All the USC offices that were housed there have been relocated elsewhere.  Not sure about the timetable for demolition though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good. Is that official now? (I forget what has or has not been said before)

Archived