190 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Gay or Straight?

• Gay
    • Straight
    • Both?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gays do seem to be more interested in cities and urban environments. They have a reputation of moving into questionable areas in cities and fixing up the buildings. This has happened to some extent in every major city that I can think of. Because they typically don't have children to raise, gays can move into a rough neighborhood and not have to worry about the things that straight couples do. Things like the school district an area is in or a higher than normal rate of crime aren't as big of a concern when there aren't children in the picture.

I have heard from many people that there are a lot of gays in architecture school. This would support the notion that a larger percentage of the gay population is interested in architecture, urban planning, and cities than the straight population, especially given that only about 10% of the general population is GLBT. Whether this is true or not, I have no idea. I'm the only gay guy I know of in my architecture program, but I'm sure there are others. Of course I'm sure the other gay guys in the program are thinking the same exact thing as I am. Haha.

There actually is a great book about this out, but I can't remember the name of it. I'll post it if I remember it.

Allan made some very good points. He listed some very good reasons why I moved into my neighborhood. The schools aren't the best, but having no kids I really don't worry although I do care about the quality of education. I moved here because I knew alot of people in the area and by buying an older home I got alot more space than if I had bought a new home. I also moved to this neighborhood because I hate suburban sprawl and wanted to do nothing to contribute to it. I also try to do as much shopping in town as possible.

Waccamatt, you brought up a point I didn't even think of. By buying in the city, you can often purchase a larger, old home for the same amount or less money than a smaller home in the suburbs. Detroit is an extreme example of this. Entire mansions can be had for $300,000 or less in the city, whereas a similar home in the suburbs might cost $600,000 or more. The city houses are also built more solidly, have more character, and are often times larger than the suburban houses. The neighborhood might be a little rough around the edges, but it's likely to be more walkable and liveable than any suburban neighborhood would be. Old neighborhoods are scaled for people, not cars. True, the house might need a little work, and the school system might not be all that great, and crime might be slightly higher, but for many people it's worth the tradeoff. This is especially true for gays, where there isn't a need to worry about having a good school system, large yard for the kids to play in, etc.

I am straight as can be. I do have a lot of gay friends because in fact about 25% of my school population out of a population of 3000 is gay or bi, but mostly bi. I'm cool with them and they don't seem to hit on me at all, so it's all good. Besides I think gay men and boys are cool because the conversation never gets dry. I never feel the least bit akward around them.

Archived