Fruit Cove

Are you Gay or Straight?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Gay or Straight?

• Gay
    • Straight
    • Both?

Mass. Voters Don't Want Gay Marriage Amendment

(Boston, Massachusetts) The Massachusetts legislature will take up the second phase of a proposal to amend the state Constitution to ban gay marriage this year, but a new poll shows most voters want the effort abandoned.

The Bay State Poll, taken for the Eagle-Tribune, and released on Monday, shows that most people in Massachusetts have grown comfortable with same-sex marriage.

"We have it. It's been happening. The sky is not falling," said Bay State pollster Russell K. Mayer, the director of the Center for Public Opinion Research at Merrimack College.

The poll found 52 percent of respondents do not want to see the amendment on the ballot.

Last march lawmakers approved the proposed amendment which would define marriage as a union of a man and a woman. It would, however, allow civil unions with legal marriage rights (story) It must be approved again in this session of the legislature in order to go to voters in 2006.

Same-sex marriage became legal in Massachusetts in May 17, 2004.

The Eagle-Tribune reports that the poll found that despite heavy lobbying by the Catholic Church to oppose gay marriage, the Catholic vote was nearly split.

Eighty-five percent of Jewish voters oppose putting an amendment on the ballot. Among those people describing themselves as atheist or agnostic 71.4 percent were opposed to a vote on banning same-sex marriage.

However, newer residents to the state and Republicans were more eager to see the issue on the ballot.

The poll of 710 people had a 3.8 percent margin of error.

There are also growing indications that the legislature is also growing tired of the issue. When the proposed amendment was submitted last year it divided the legislature, resulted in acrimonious debate, and continued for two days.

In November, a more liberal House and Senate was elected, with Democrats picking up seats in both bodies.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

monsoon I don't care about the candidate I care about the beliefs not the actions. Oh and I am 16 not 15, my birthday was January 25th. Personally I didn't like Kerry because all he seemed to do is bash Bush. Of course it is easy to say that it was a horrible and a mistake after it had happened, anybody can say that! I think that Kerry wasn't ready for presidency.

monsoon I don't care about the candidate I care about the beliefs not the actions.  Oh and I am 16 not 15, my birthday was January 25th.  Personally I didn't like Kerry because all he seemed to do is bash Bush.  Of course it is easy to say that it was a horrible and a mistake after it had happened, anybody can say that!  I think that Kerry wasn't ready for presidency.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all, should he have not said it was a mistake? You claim that you voted for Bush because Kerry always bashed him, yet you don't mention why Bush's policies are more correct.

Kerry wasn't ready for the presidency? He was in the Senate for TWENTY YEARS. Meanwhile, Bush was a governor of Texas with no foreign policy experience other than his dad doing business with the terrorists. And on top of that, he had a "personal relationship" with Jesus, and has claimed that he's actually talked to Jesus. Anywhere else in the world, someone who claims to talk to a little man in the sky would be institutionalized in a mental asylum. But in America it qualifies you to be president.

How f_cked up is our country?

I'd like monsoon to comment on my post ^ above this one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that Kerry was a terrible candidate. If you read my very first post in this thread, you will find that I think the Democrats are just as bad as the Republicans. The Democrats have lost their way and as long as they focus on the "Starbucks crowd" they will continue to lose elections. The only bad thing about it is that Kerry, like a leech, held on to his senate seat. I hope the people of Mass. vote the idiot out of office.

Unfortunatly that means that politicians such as Bush get elected and the USA continues to be destroyed.

You say you are 16. You will be an adult once Bush leave office. In that amount of time he will have accumulated so much national debt, you will be working for the rest of your adult life to pay off that debt. And most likely you will be working in a nominal job because all of the USA's high paying jobs will have been outsourced. That is if you are not drafted to fight in Iran, Iraq or N. Korea. (2 more years you will be draft age where the Army can make you General Issue)

As long as people such as you say "I am Republican" and vote for idiots because they belong to a party, then we will continue to have these problems.

monsoon hit the biggest Bush problem square in the head. If it's not bad enough that the rest of the world has lost their respect for us because of the Iraq fiasco, Bush is increasing the national debt so fast that we will never see the end of it. Clinton actually had the debt being reduced and then Bush came in and went overlimit on the national credit card almost immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

monsoon I don't care about the candidate I care about the beliefs not the actions.  Oh and I am 16 not 15, my birthday was January 25th.  Personally I didn't like Kerry because all he seemed to do is bash Bush.  Of course it is easy to say that it was a horrible and a mistake after it had happened, anybody can say that!  I think that Kerry wasn't ready for presidency.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im straight. Anyway every single president will/has screwed up its just bound to happen we are only human and as humans we make mistakes

• 2 weeks later...

I'm straight, but on rare occasions I kiss a guy on a night out. Nothing beyond that though, no sex or relationships with guys. Of course here in the Netherlands, the whole straight/gay debate was already getting old in the 80s/90s..

(interestingly, I'm somewhat opposed to gay marriage but mostly because I don't think government should be involved with marriage or relationships in the first place, so my objections are focused on the implicit expansion of government activities and nothing else, if I had it my way marriage would be a private matter arranged by communities including but not limited to the church and everyone could make up their own happy vows and marital contracts)

I'm straight, but on rare occasions I kiss a guy on a night out. Nothing beyond that though, no sex or relationships with guys. Of course here in the Netherlands, the whole straight/gay debate was already getting old in the 80s/90s..

(interestingly, I'm somewhat opposed to gay marriage but mostly because I don't think government should be involved with marriage or relationships in the first place, so my objections are focused on the implicit expansion of government activities and nothing else, if I had it my way marriage would be a private matter arranged by communities including but not limited to the church and everyone could make up their own happy vows and marital contracts)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

VERY WELL Put man

I'm staright, but my brother isnt and i have a lot of gay friends. i dont really care about sexuality as long as we get along or you are comfortable with yourself. Gay are not lower or above any other person on this earth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And on top of that, he had a "personal relationship" with Jesus, and has claimed that he's actually talked to Jesus. Anywhere else in the world, someone who claims to talk to a little man in the sky would be institutionalized in a mental asylum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, guess I need to call the psycho paddy wagon to come get me......now where's the number again? *Shuffling through papers*

• 3 weeks later...

Treat others how you want to be treated.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. Sadly this is something that many so-called Christians seem to be clueless about when you consider how often they wish to impose their morality on others. The truely faithful don't do this.

Archived