190 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Gay or Straight?

• Gay
    • Straight
    • Both?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its a matter of curiosity as to why skyscraper and urban planning websites seem to attract an inordinately high percentage of gay male visitors.

I think it's because most guys aren't concerned about their local communities and how they develop. They just want to sit back, have a beer and watch football. Most straight males have no sensitivity to the environment around them. Still doesn't answer the question as to why there is such a low percentage of female members. I think it's probably because the males dominate the site from the beginning and the females become a bit taken back from it and don't sign up. They may be lurking in the shadows though! :huh:

• 10 months later...

Straight as an arrow but i have a few gay friends and family members who i fully accept and I am always there for them like i am with my best straight friends. The PG version of me with women, im constantly chasin them and im always talking to a different one every month if not a different one every week or two. I know, im bad, but im only 22 also. Wait till i go to a four year university :rofl:

I am a straight male but I have a few friends that are gay and I don't care because they are cool and are HILARIOUSIALLY funny! I have also noticed how gay men and lesbian women have GREAT taste in design! (This is from my perspective) I don't care if anybody is gay because if that's the way you choose to live your life and not care about what other people think then more power to you!

I think it's because most guys aren't concerned about their local communities and how they develop. They just want to sit back, have a beer and watch football. Most straight males have no sensitivity to the environment around them. Still doesn't answer the question as to why there is such a low percentage of female members. I think it's probably because the males dominate the site from the beginning and the females become a bit taken back from it and don't sign up. They may be lurking in the shadows though! :huh:

That's a little essentializing. I'm straight and I have more concern for the development of my local community (Detroit, which, by the way is experiencing a great renissance). One of my best friends is gay and lives as a resident of the city in Midtown. And generally I am more aware of the developments and the community at large, not to say that he isn't. But I dont think orientation has anything to do with that issue really

• 2 weeks later...

I'm straight and married. Always been a HUGE fan of the female form. :w00t::wub:

But I also have excellent hygeine (unlike some straight guys I know) and care about my image.

I've always been interested in urban development... well, since I was a teenager. I'd notice things happening and mention them to my friends and they would say things like, "o..kay... why are you telling us this?" They didn't care about stuff like that... all they wanted to do was chase the girls and drink. Not that I didn't want to do all that, but I had other interests as well. In high school art class, we had an assignment to draw a house or a building in perspective. Well, I was a drafting student so I drew houses all the time (still do, but for a living now) but I was the only one to draw more than one building. I drew my own fictitious city, loosely based on NYC. Every building I drew was from my imagination, and in the foreground I even went so far as to draw a basketball court between two apartment buildings with people playing basketball and a cat running across the court. I was very proud of that picture, but unfortunately it ended up getting ruined while I was living with my parents. :cry:

straight and engaged... no problems with gays, my brother's gay (my soon-to-be-best-man).

i've loved architecture since i was a kid... of course i never did it for a living (i wanted to a while back). and i just get a rush in cities... i also generally get hometown pride wherever i'm living, so i want that town or city to be the best it can... that happens to be providence right now... the future might bring me elsewhere... and i'll feel the same way.

i'm also a bit of an environmentalist, and densely populated cities and no suburbs are better for the environment.

That could also describe me since I watch sports as I browse urban/skyscraper and sports websites, lol.

I'm into animals. But, I have no problem with straight people.

:rolleyes:

You seem to take issue with everything straight people say. There's a definite pattern there. So what if a straight person says they are straight but that they have no problem with gays? What does it really matter? At least they're not gay bashing; they're simply stating that they don't look at it as necessarily a bad thing. Not everyone is going to agree with you!

You seem to take issue with everything straight people say. There's a definite pattern there. So what if a straight person says they are straight but that they have no problem with gays? What does it really matter? At least they're not gay bashing; they're simply stating that they don't look at it as necessarily a bad thing. Not everyone is going to agree with you!

So I take issue with what I myself say then? Are you assuming I'm gay?

You got me all wrong buddy. I'm not taking issue with anything all "straight" people say, I'm simply pointing out how stupid it is to say "I don't have a problem with gays". Should gays be taking issue with straights? Do gay people need to say "I'm gay, but I dont have a problem with straights"?

Obviously I don't expect everyone to agree with me. My point is that the whole gay/straight thing shouldnt even be an issue where one would have to say "I'm _______ but I have no problem with [opposite of _____]"

You got me all wrong buddy. I'm not taking issue with anything all "straight" people say, I'm simply pointing out how stupid it is to say "I don't have a problem with gays". Should gays be taking issue with straights? Do gay people need to say "I'm gay, but I dont have a problem with straights"?

Obviously I don't expect everyone to agree with me. My point is that the whole gay/straight thing shouldnt even be an issue where one would have to say "I'm _______ but I have no problem with [opposite of _____]"

in an ideal word all humans would be blind and wouldn't think.

but this is not an ideal world. so some people see someone that looks different and ridicules them for that. some people hear that someone is different even though they look similar and ridicules them.

being gay is straying from the norm, even though it's not a choice, because the majority of people are "straight" (quotated because there isn't just gay or straight, it's a spectrum, which has been studied). people who lean more towards the gay end of the spectrum are in a minority (or among people who deny their true self because they were taught that anything different is wrong). therefore, many gays feel that straights aren't 100% comfortable with them, and from my personal experience, i have gotten that feeling from many of the gays i've hung out with, including my brother. things have obviously changed because i've gotten to know his friends and even gone out with them to the club they frequent (mirabar, here in providence).

that's my thoughts on why i think that people who are straight come out and say something like "i'm ok with gays" in a forum like this where the poll asks if you're straight or gay... and i agree with you... i take issue with many straights...

Maybe you're gay, maybe you're straight... I don't know. I may have gotten THAT part wrong, but you take issue with people saying things like, "I'm straight but I have no problem with gay people." Seriously, what is wrong with someone saying that? Isn't it better than them saying, "I'm straight and I hate gays?" I think so. I'll say it: I'm straight, but I have no problem with gays. They live their lives how the way they know how, just as I live mine the way I know how to. I live as a straight person, and gay people live their lives as gay people. It's a matter of sexual orientation; they're not any less human, so why wouldn't I say "I'm straight but I have no problem with gay people?"

I'm also white, but I have no problem with blacks. In addition, I'm a Republican but I have no problem with Democrats. The only people I have a problem with are those who take issue with me first, therefore I have no problem saying I'm [blank] but I have no problem with [opposite of blank.] I just don't see where the harm is in saying something like that.

And for the record, please don't think I was attacking you. I want you to know that I was simply pointing out something I observed and thought should be corrected. No harm, no foul.

in an ideal word all humans would be blind and wouldn't think.

but this is not an ideal world. so some people see someone that looks different and ridicules them for that. some people hear that someone is different even though they look similar and ridicules them.

being gay is straying from the norm, even though it's not a choice, because the majority of people are "straight" (quotated because there isn't just gay or straight, it's a spectrum, which has been studied). people who lean more towards the gay end of the spectrum are in a minority (or among people who deny their true self because they were taught that anything different is wrong). therefore, many gays feel that straights aren't 100% comfortable with them, and from my personal experience, i have gotten that feeling from many of the gays i've hung out with, including my brother. things have obviously changed because i've gotten to know his friends and even gone out with them to the club they frequent (mirabar, here in providence).

that's my thoughts on why i think that people who are straight come out and say something like "i'm ok with gays" in a forum like this where the poll asks if you're straight or gay... and i agree with you... i take issue with many straights...

Agreed. I'm way too much of an idealist anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived