Plans for downtown Flint

dnast

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this is great news! I have had an awful day, so anything to brighten it is a good thing. :)

A grocery store in downtown Flint? Sounds like a great idea to me! To attract residents downtown, you need places to have fun, but also you need to have everyday needs close by. I hope the grocery store works out.

I'm also glad to hear that Rowe, Inc. moving downtown is a done deal. It sounds like they've got some great plans! Where on earth is the 500 block though? I cannot picture it for the life of me!

Bringing college students downtown is always a good idea, and will add much needed pedestrian traffic.

I think it's safe to say that downtown Flint is making a comeback. Just a year ago I would've told you that downtown would never come back. I never would've imagined that so much would be happening and in the works. You know how slow development occurs in Michigan's urban areas. Just look at the Republic Bank Building. Wasn't that supposed to finished in 2003? I'm happy to see that I'm being proven wrong.

Wow, you're quick. I was looking through your old photo threads to get a picture of the J. London building in my head. While looking through, I happened to find a good quote from you (pure coincidence):

"What's the deal with all these proposed lofts (Dryden Bldg, Ferris Fur Bldg, Republic Bank Bldg, Durant Hotel)? Can't they just build them already?!!"

Three of those were proposed by the same developer. The one that wasn't is the one that's actually under construction... I remember somebody from Grand Blanc about 3 years ago, I think, on the mlive.com forums mentioning that Daystar Development proposes a lot of stuff that doesn't get developed. I should have listened.

As far as the 500 block. I'll use one of your photos :)

S_104_0459.JPG

The three buildings to the right will be combined into one four-story (I believe) building with a mini-atrium in the middle (kinda like the building next to Northbank, but I don't have a pic).

The most impressive thing to me is that more office space is being created and used up. I thought at best downtown Flint would just be the most urban neighborhood in Genesee County. I hate to jump the gun but this could actually become a fully-functional downtown.

That block definately looks hideous! I'm glad to hear that it's getting to total redo.

Good old Daystar Development...they obviously don't develop much. <_< I thought their offices were in the Dryden Building, although I could be wrong. Has any work been done to the 352 Building? Alfred Kloss (or at least I think that was his name) was supposed to be making renovations to that buiding, as well as redoing the Dryden and the Ferris Fur Building.

It would be great if Flint could pull this off. I honestly think that they will. It won't be without setbacks, I'm sure, but they've made a lot of progress so far. A fully functioning downtown has places to live, work, and play. There are plenty of offices. More people will be moving in. There are places like a bookstore, coffee shop, restaurants, and the like going in. The ingredients are all there, now it's just a question of combining them in just the right quantities.

Suddenly I have this urge to do another Flint tour. Sure, I've photographed the same exact buildings many times before, but why not again? Maybe next weekend....

Yes, Daystar owns the Dryden. And last I heard they were waiting for a tenant to occupy the first floor of the 352 Building so there will revenue to renovate the rest of the building. And yes, Alfred Kloss is the owner of Daystar Development.

If it saves you any trouble, only one building has been finished since your last tour, with 3 UC and one new business that hasn't had any work done on the exterior.

• 1 month later...

Archived