Racism in the South

Claws

I wanted to know if racism is still a widespread problem in the South, and if it's a problem where you live. Dickson still has a long way to go. It's a small town with small town "values," and it's in the South, so of course there're those who cling to their racist and die-hard confederate ways. Thankfully, though, it's not completely backward, as there are many that are not prejudiced in this way. Also, I'd like to know if Nashville is viewed as a racially intolerant city. I've never thought of it that way, but I was wondering what the majority of people thought.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never known bigotry, racism, etc. to be an exclusive domain of the South. If you look at the North it is just as bad if not worse than in any place in the South.

Where have all the race based riots been in the last 25 years? Not in the South. Remember that Rodney King was beaten in Los Angeles, not Atlanta.

When they inacted court ordered busing to desegregate the schools, all of the violent and blood ridden protests by whites took place in Boston, Detroit, Philly, etc. For the vast majority of Southerners, this was a peaceful event.

Its a myth the South is more racist than anywhere else.

I wanted to know if racism is still a widespread problem in the South, and if it's a p

Take it from somebody who lived in the north and the south. The south has gotten better. Chicago is so bad that black and white really don't live together its awful...

Nashville is better because everyone seems to live together and that stops a lot of

stereotypes...between the races..... Also its live the united nations living here in Nashville. I live by everybody..

I think in small towns it's still somewhat of an issue, but it's like that everywhere - the South is no different. It's the same with all minorities and immigrants, there is generally more acceptance in larger cities because people are more used to being around others that are different from themselves.

In my middle and high school, I went to the school with some kids who lived way out in the country, who would brag about having an uncle or so in the Klan. Other than that, I haven't noticed anything. My roommate is a big racist however, but is only all talk. You can add that to the extremely long list of why I think he's a giant douchenozzle and can't wait to move away from him.

monsoon hit the nail on the head.

The Late Mayor Ivan Allen (Atlanta) dubbed Atlanta the city to busy to hate, thus integrating lunch counters, etc.

As a Black woman born and raised in the South, I can say that I have always felt as though I can conquer the world. I was born and raised in a small, Conservative town in Georgia. I did well in school and both the Black teachers and White teachers nurtured that. Perhaps I have been discriminated against. However, I am oblivious to it because my parents always taught me that I was just as good as the next person, regardless of their race, religion, sex, etc.

There's racists everywhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would agree. The only difference I've noticed is that outside of the south, racism is less talked about and more of an *institutionalized* thing but just as bad. In that different races don't interact one another (work, live, etc). The thing I've noticed about the south (speaking of Texas mostly since I grew up there and some exposure to n/s carolina), is that it is more open and visible. For instance when I hang out with other anglos from these areas they make racial jokes and use racial slurs like there is nothing at all wrong with it. But at the same time they actually interact with and live side by side with other races, so they have come further in that respect. To put it simply I would say AMERICA is still fairly racist, be it subtle or outright, regardless of north, south, east, west we all have a long way to go. Despite the front we may put on.

Well it is a two way street. Blacks can't keep bringing out the word "racist" when Whites react negatively against the irresponsibility that exists in the Black community. Thankfully leaders such as Bill Cosby are finally bringing the issue to the front burner where it needs to be.

^ I think its a lot deeper than then Bill Cosby telling people what they already know. Both races have a lot to improve on, if we want to ultimately get rid of racism and inequality. Bill Cosby's act is the exact opposite of Jessie Jackson's. However, neither is offering real solutions to solve the problem, so imo, they're both not doing anything other than blowing hot air.

To put it simply I would say AMERICA is still fairly racist, be it subtle or outright, regardless of north, south, east, west we all have a long way to go.  Despite the front we may put on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget Europe. They are just a racist if not more so. Maybe not towards blacks, but then- how many black have you seen in Europe? The antisemitism is bad over there. France let a neo nazi make it to the run offs in their last presidential election. Europe's attitude towards Arabs and Turks its nothing to brag about either. America isn't the only racist country.

I think that humans in general will always have biases towards/against other races.

Regardless of racism anywhere else, I do think it's still a problem in the South. It may not be as out in the open anymore, but there's a lot of institutional racism that's keeping things from being equal. Look at our jails, look at the inequality in our school systems, look at our inner city neighborhoods.

Dont get me wrong, what happend to blacks was terrible, and most educated people respect that. But they must understand that anything derogatory said to them is not because of their race. It seems that people are scared to hire blacks cause if they dont preform they cant be fired without a lawsuite.

We have come a long way, but i agree. Both sides must change for race to no longer to be an issue.

^I'm black, I and the majority blacks understand this as well. Don't let a small minority cloud your perceptions of an entire race.

It seems that people are scared to hire blacks cause if they dont preform they cant be fired without a lawsuite.

People who, think this way, seriously need to take some time learning cultures other than their own. This is the same thing as people who claim they were discriminated against, because a black person got hired instead of them. When its most likely the other man was more qualified and a better fit for the position.

It seems that people are scared to hire blacks cause if they dont preform they cant be fired without a lawsuite.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That isn't true. Tennnessee has some of the most liberal work at will laws that will allow employers to fire people with or without cause.

IMO, the ethics of the business community in the state of Tennessee is ruining the quality of life for its people. After living in Missouri North Carolina and Tennessee, I would have to say Tennessee has the worse working conditions for the average joe.

I believe that racism exhist everywhere. In my experience I've found southerners don't like to be called racist but one can't help but to hear racial undertones in their conversations. Up "north" people are more up front with their racism. I've heard it isn't uncommon to hear the N word in places like New York and Boston.

To sum it all up "Southern whites like black people but hate black culture. Northern whites like black culture but hate black people".

I really think racism is everywhere but in some places its more noticeable. One particular civil rights leader during the 1960s mention that when he went to this particular Northern city, he felt that the people that were at this certain event fighting for segregation, were worst than the people in the South for segregation. Also I known some people from another major Northern city, telling me how they felt this particular city was racist.

As a young Black man in my early 20s, I was born and brought up in the South in a small city about 11,000 in population in North Carolina, in a lot of ways I haven't experience major racism towards me (that I know of) but I know racism is around everywhere.

A comment to what was said about North Carolina not having any established cities before the civil rights movement era of the 1950s and 1960s, since the late 1800's North Carolina has had established major cities. Wilmington, NC in particular was a very major port city with an electric trolley running downtown and other areas of the city, opera house and home to people of different cultures. At one time Wilmington had more Black owned businesses than anywhere in the world. In 1898 Wilmington had a major race riot that was fatal to some people.

In the early 1900's after Winston and Salem became Winston-Salem, NC this city became one of the most major cities in the South. Some people consider Winston-Salem having the first major skyscraper in the South.

Greensboro, NC was the city where the first popular known sit-in of this type happened at, when four Black college students decided to sit at an "Whites Only" lunch counter for equal rights in 1960.

Even before the civil rights era North Carolina had other major cities and civil rights events even before the major civil rights era of the 1950s and 1960s.

Getting back to the main topic, I think certain people on here are re-writing history for their own personal beliefs. The south is the land where there WERE riots. Birmingham, Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans. Who can forget the scenes of firemen spraying huge groups of blacks with extremely powerful and and hurtful equipment? ALL the large cities at the time had them. The only reason North Carolina would have had fewer is because there were no major established cities in North Carolina until after the civil rights movement. And in the event that NC really does have fewer race issues - it is an exception to the rule down here. There are still more exceptions in the north (if the standard is racism everywhere)....

Maybe you missed "in the last 25 years". In the last quarter century since civil rights came into being there have been no major riots in the South. They have all taken place outside the South and as I said earler, very bloody ones in the West an in the North East.

As to the comment about cities in NC. That was a pretty ignorant statement as there were a number of major cities in NC relative to the rest of the South. And in fact, Greensboro is the site of major Civil Rights milestone which is where the very famous Woolworth's "sit in" occured in 1961. This BTW was a peaceful event and you can visit the place today since it has been turned into a museum.

Heckles, I recommend you pack your bags and move from the South, because you are simply so blinded by your dislike for it that you fail to see anything positive about the area. I am very sorry you lost your job.

Archived