Racism in the South

Claws

Not to burst your research bubble Cpfaunmiller, but what skirby said is very true. While some people in the South believe that it is their right to display the Confederate flag, there aren't that many racist groups here. There is a HUGE concentration of KKK and other white-supremacy groups in Colorado and Wyoming, along with Missouri. I was truly amazed about that fact...Wyoming actually has the highest number of KKK groups. Just because the South started the Civil War, doesn't mean that the region reflects the same racism today.

Granted, we have our rednecks here, but during my time in the Air Force, I have discovered that rednecks are everywhere, in every state! :)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am having a very hard time not sticking my nose up at the South in a repugnant fashion.

Cpfaunmiller: I understand your views, and I think the solution is for you to never visit the South. Also, while you are at it, please learn how to spell and compose sentences in English.

It seems funny to me. I've been researching the topic of racism. Racism occurs everywhere, this is true. I am really impressed by the Civil War. Although (dependant on one's views) civil rights did not spawn the war, seperation from the Union was the main goal; I am having a very hard time not sticking my nose up at the South in a repugnant fashion. I am disguisted by some of the documentry's and other reliable sources explaining some of the Souths' views before, during, shortly after the Civil War...and still today.

Yes, racism is everywhere, but it seems SO blatant in the South. Now, I could be very wrong. But my observations have been to deem the south is a mess of intolerable, cruel, disheartening states. -weren't the one's who firsted dawned the o' so fashionable bed sheets (took root) in a southern state? Please, spare me the good old south stuff...and someone please reply with bit of honesty!

Cpfaunmiller

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! Have you not read how Black poeple were treated in the north after the war was over and slavory was abolished? With even less respect I would say! I suggest you look in to that. I can say being from London and having traveled all over the US many many times, that the southern cities are the most progresive in deeling with these matters - in fact they are the most prgressive in general I would say - northerners are moving to the area I live in drones!!

Wow!  Have you not read how Black poeple were treated in the north after the war was over and slavory was abolished?  With even less respect I would say!  I suggest  you look in to that.  I can say being from London and having traveled all over the US many many times, that the southern cities are the most progresive in deeling with these matters - in fact they are the most prgressive in general I would say - northerners are moving to the area I live in drones!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I have not..I'm still investigating. I just wrote a somewhat offensive, emotive post in order to get a response... I soppose if I kept it conservative I wouldn't have gotten nearly as many responses as I have. Actually, it has been difficult to find any info on what had occured in the North during and after the Civil War. Of course, the hype is on what (and has) occured in the south. I'm just curious if what I have seen and heard is cierto (or falso) in regards to racism in the south. I've read that segregation still occurs in southern states(?) I don't know, I've lived in Washington state all my life..and have only been in MO and VA briefly. Thanks for the insight, I will check it out!

Cpfaunmiller

Not to burst your research bubble Cpfaunmiller, but what skirby said is very true. While some people in the South believe that it is their right to display the Confederate flag, there aren't that many racist groups here. There is a HUGE concentration of KKK and other white-supremacy groups in Colorado and Wyoming, along with Missouri. I was truly amazed about that fact...Wyoming actually has the highest number of KKK groups. Just because the South started the Civil War, doesn't mean that the region reflects the same racism today.

Granted, we have our rednecks here, but during my time in the Air Force, I have discovered that rednecks are everywhere, in every state!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the insight. Yes, there are Plenty of rednecks in Washington state. Most of us out here are rural living people, and fairly simple. I have never traveled to the south, but hope to because of the rich historical roots. I surely didn't mean to offend with such a colored post (I have plenty of southern friends being in the military, and boyfriend contracted with a southern based company)--I just wanted to get responses and find out if what I have read and heard is true. People in Washington can be fairly ignorant when it comes to progressive things because we really don't see alot of african-americans in the small area that I live. --not speaking for everyone-of course.

Being a Redneck does not equate to being a Racist.  That crosses all levels of society and these days all races as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What does, being a racist or being a redneck?

i find that the south has now become a new melting pot. the explosion in population has included people of all race. sure, we have our bad apples, but not any more than the other regions of the country. the only reason that the south is portrayed as racist is because of something that happened over 160 years ago. most of those who still have this thought that we are racist most likely haven't been here. in fact, blackenterprise.com picked the 10 best cities for african americans and 8 of the 10 cities are in the south. i do appreciate cpfaunmiller of actually wanting to come here and see what it's truely like. while the first post was a bit "emotive", i do understand what you wanted to find out. hopefully, as you've found out, us southerners usually do not take kindly to being called racist. this is just another way that the south has grown into a more accepting society.

Do you all not find it amusing that the most popular/famous comedians have been raging racist? I.E. Richard Prior or Dave Chappell

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Raging racist"? Come on... I can't imagine anyone comparing David Duke and Dave Chappelle.

I had a professor that thought there was a difference between prejudice and racism. His belief was that racism = prejudice + power, meaning that there are black people that are prejudice, but because they lacked power in general, they weren't able to hurt anyone, i.e., prevent white people from getting jobs, moving into certain neighborhoods, etc.

So Dave Chappelle and other black comedians may hurt their feelings, but they can't prevent white people from say, becoming President, or from being CEOs of 95% of the fortune 500 companies, etc...

-J

i find that the south has now become a new melting pot. the explosion in population has included people of all race. sure, we have our bad apples, but not any more than the other regions of the country. the only reason that the south is portrayed as racist is because of something that happened over 160 years ago. most of those who still have this thought that we are racist most likely haven't been here. in fact, blackenterprise.com picked the 10 best cities for african americans and 8 of the 10 cities are in the south. i do appreciate cpfaunmiller of actually wanting to come here and see what it's truely like. while the first post was a bit "emotive", i do understand what you wanted to find out. hopefully, as you've found out, us southerners usually do not take kindly to being called racist. this is just another way that the south has grown into a more accepting society.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad you understand my intent..I do have a BS in psychology (and also a DS with the Army) and I figure a confrentational argument is the way to illicit sensitive information [sometimes]. Its good to hear a different swing to the story with the whole "Civil War--Confederate cr**". From my experience in Portland when I was a youth, I ran into a few arayean (?) hater people. Yes, I'm certain that if I had introduced this topic to one of my southern friends, they would have felt a bit intimidated---that's why I felt it appropriate to ask those that I don't know. Thank you so much for sheding light on the subject.

"Raging racist"? Come on...  I can't imagine anyone comparing David Duke and Dave Chappelle. 

I had a professor that thought there was a difference between prejudice and racism.  His belief was that racism = prejudice + power, meaning that there are black people that are prejudice, but because they lacked power in general, they weren't able to hurt anyone, i.e., prevent white people from getting jobs, moving into certain neighborhoods, etc.

So Dave Chappelle and other black comedians may hurt their feelings, but they can't prevent white people from say, becoming President, or from being CEOs of 95% of the fortune 500 companies, etc...

-J

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are an awful lot of poor, marginalized white people who don't particularly have a lot of power, and racism may have a special appeal to them. I'm not just talking about the southern US either. Industrial towns in northern England, Belgium, France, and so on, fit the bill as well.

Rednecks are usually associated with the uneducated and rural folks. Sometimes "Old South" -which is often associated with racism.

Do a search on Google for "race riots." The first thing is Detriot, Chicago Tulsa, etc. They are in places other than the South for the most part.

Do you all not find it amusing that the most popular/famous comedians have been raging racist? I.E. Richard Prior or Dave Chappell

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i wouldn't say they are raging racists. more like social satirists. they aren't really attacking people, so much as bringing to light the racism that happens in a humorous way. btw, they are really damn funny. red foxx is still my fav though :D

"Raging racist"? Come on...  I can't imagine anyone comparing David Duke and Dave Chappelle. 

I had a professor that thought there was a difference between prejudice and racism.  His belief was that racism = prejudice + power, meaning that there are black people that are prejudice, but because they lacked power in general, they weren't able to hurt anyone, i.e., prevent white people from getting jobs, moving into certain neighborhoods, etc.

-J

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is my preferred definition of racism, and it is one that has found acceptance in academia as well. With that in view, this is something that the nation as a whole must be prepared to deal with. The power of racism (as defined above) is in its subtlety. But as far as overt racial actions and prejudicial behavior go, I have not encountered a lot of this in the South. Although I've visited places in other parts of the country, I haven't lived anywhere else other than the South, so take that for what it's worth.

Rednecks are usually associated with the uneducated and rural folks. Sometimes "Old South" -which is often associated with racism.

Do a search on Google for "race riots." The first thing is Detriot, Chicago Tulsa, etc. They are in places other than the South for the most part.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. More northern cities dont receive the attention southern cities get when it comes to racism in America, primarily due to the geographic concept that more people are racist in the south than are in the north. History has proven that not to be necessarily true. Racial tension is and has been prevalent in the northern U.S. as well as the south. During the civil rights movement in the 1960s, the Detroit and LA riots were just as pivotal as any other violent and non-violent demonstrations in the south during that time.

As a 24 year old, Black college student

I believe there is still racism not only in the south but also in other aspects of American society as well, Although I dont believe that every time someone is not offered a job, or has been singled out in some kind of way is the victim of racism. I hate that my people are so quick to use the race card when its not necessary. Many people died to give us the freedom we now have and we should pick and choose our battles, because when I here Terrell Owens (NFL) saying he thinks its racism behind him not receiving another few million on his contract and Jessey Jackson meeting with the NFL because there are not enough black or minority owners is ridiculous. There are so many other issues that need that attention, and not when people think they can use it as leverage for an argument.

Racial tension is and has been prevalent in the northern U.S. as well as the south. During the civil rights movement in the 1960s, the Detroit and LA riots were just as pivotal as any other violent and non-violent demonstrations in the south during that time.

Very true. I don't think it's a well-known fact that one of Dr. Martin Luther King's most unwelcoming trips was one to Chicago, where he and his entourage were viciously pelted with rocks by racist residents of the city.

There are an awful lot of poor, marginalized white people who don't particularly have a lot of power, and racism may have a special appeal to them.  I'm not just talking about the southern US either.  Industrial towns in northern England, Belgium, France, and so on, fit the bill as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^ So you contend they use racism against others to boost their own status?

Its my contention the people that some here would deem as "rednecks" i.e. rural southern Whites, learned to live with Blacks long long ago and vice versa. Its the large cities where all the problems exist.

And the problems are caused by both blacks and whites.

Being a racist.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Around here (in Washington) people will oftentimes say "I'm just a redneck" i.e. I believe in the simple life, conservative views and values, old-school, some rednecks are farmers. Change and redneck generally do not go hand in hand, however, red necks are not racist. Just because one wears the tag of redneck..certainly does not imply they are racist (at all).

Of course, anyone can be racist, regardless of social or ethnic group. So, sometimes rednecks can be racist as well.

Very true. I don't think it's a well-known fact that one of Dr. Martin Luther King's most unwelcoming trips was one to Chicago, where he and his entourage were viciously pelted with rocks by racist residents of the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i dunno, his last trip to memphis wasn't too good for him.

Archived