Racism in the South

Claws

There have been more talks, discussions, panels, books, etc. now than ever before on the issue; you'll certain get no disagreement out of me there. But it doesn't seem as if the problems have been mitigated in any sense. So what IS (are) the missing link(s)?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been more talks, discussions, panels, books, etc. now than ever before on the issue; you'll certain get no disagreement out of me there. But it doesn't seem as if the problems have been mitigated in any sense. So what IS (are) the missing link(s)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a very good question. Perhaps the answer may be found in the relative inefficacy of discussion. In other words, maybe it's just time to stop talking about racial matters to the degree that we do. Would racial relations then deteriorate ? If talking does not help, then would not talking hurt ?

Just throwing stuff out there.

At this point, I'm really beginning to think that more of an impact would be made on a local grassroots level. I'm not really into the whole "national spokesmen" for the black community thing, as there are those that have failed the black community. Even on an organizational level, it seems that local representation lacks focus on local issues. And many times, it's simply reactive instead of proactive.

I don't necessarily think we need to stop talking, but we need to put more ________ behind the talk (fill in the blank with whatever comes to mind).

At this point, I'm really beginning to think that more of an impact would be made on a local grassroots level. I'm not really into the whole "national spokesmen" for the black community thing, as there are those that have failed the black community. Even on an organizational level, it seems that local representation lacks focus on local issues. And many times, it's simply reactive instead of proactive.

I don't necessarily think we need to stop talking, but we need to put more ________ behind the talk (fill in the blank with whatever comes to mind).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not even sure I want to fill in that blank. :blink:;)

It would be nice, as an additional measure, to acknowledge (no, celebrate) our marked progress in these areas (understanding, of course, that that might be an easier tac to take than for others).

I'm not even sure I want to fill in that blank.  :blink:  ;)

It would be nice, as an additional measure, to acknowledge (no, celebrate) our marked progress in these areas (understanding, of course, that that might be an easier tac to take than for others).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there has been progress. If anything the races get along less now, than they did in the 70s and early 80s. That could be more a symptom of the times.

my question is why we let words get the best of us? if someone calls you a derogatory name, then that's their loss for not having anything intelligent to say. that person just feels threatened (by what, who knows) and has nothing to show for himself (or herself) so they just blurt out a word and hope to get a reaction out of it. if someone calls you a ######, wish them a good day and enjoy the rest of your day knowing that you don't have to live with yourself like they do. the same thing goes with any word, be it honkey, cigar, chink, etc..... the worst thing to do is to react, because then it makes them believe that they ARE better because in their mind you've realized that you are inferior and are upset about it. the high road may be tougher to get to, but the view is awesome ;)

This is true ironchapman. It has been said, "Everything that is confronted cannot be conquered. However, nothing can be conquered until it is first confronted." We've got to recognize our prejudices (whatever they may be), confront them, and hopefully overcome them...and attempt to be as objective as possible during the entire process.

I think a lot of progress has been made with regards to race relations over the last half of the 20th century. To say that this hasn't happened would be naive. I think we are only a couple of generations away from race not even being a big deal for MOST people. Hopefully my grandchildren won't need to know what segregation and racism mean.

The problem is, you've got people throwing it in your face every where you go. The race card has been politicized to the point where it almost has no real meaning anymore. You used to be able to point out an act that is blatantly racist, bring attention to it and hopefully make sure that this act is eliminated from polite society (I say polite society, meaning that you will always always have extremists on both sides of an issue).

Now the discrimination card is played, not to bring attention to a problem, but as a way to make something happen politically. It has happened so much in my life time that I am almost numb to it. My ingrained response is not, what is the outrage, but what politician is trying to gain more power.

Racism is a worldwide problem, not just an American one. America is the scapegoat for it, like America is the scapegoat for a lot of the worlds problems. Hopefully America will do what is has done in the past when faced with this kind of scrutiny. Can we rise up and finally overlook race when dealing with people? If we could achieve this, the other hippocrites (i.e. Europe) of the world would need to follow. What we can do is take personal responsibility for our own actions, and when dealing with people - deal with the individual not with a prejudged sterotype.

You raise some good points, 120. The charge 'discrimination!' has been weilded so indisriminantly as to drain the term of any real meaning (although it certainly retains the power to inflame many who prefer to view themselves as aggrieved parties).

I agree I20North. Many times it's a case of crying wolf, so when discrimination really does occur, we're inclined to turn a deaf ear since it was falsely invoked in the past. This makes it all the more difficult to distinguish between bona fide discrimination and either someone's skewed perception or political ploy.

I agree I20North. Many times it's a case of crying wolf, so when discrimination really does occur, we're inclined to turn a deaf ear since it was falsely invoked in the past. This makes it all the more difficult to distinguish between bona fide discrimination and either someone's skewed perception or political ploy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

agreed

And as a gay man, I can tell you there are plenty of offensive words that have been used to dehuminize gays even to this day and unlike n**er ger, are still considered socially acceptable by 1/3 of the American population.  (by all races)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In England the word you speak of means "Cigarette"

Just a heads up if you go over there!

java script:emoticon(':thumbsup:')

The south is probably the least racist compared to the rest of the country of course theyre are those small hick towns so there are bound to be some racists but for the most part i think the north is the most racist. But as far as the world europe is  the most racist place in the world when i went there they asked me why i listen to "black music" note they did not say hip hop. And they had countless offensive jokes about them. I feel sorry for any black person who lives in europe they get talked behind their back its just awful somebody has to teach the europeans and its not only blacks but other races too and even countries is it me or they hate everyone but themselves i dont know. Its not all europeans but for the majority  -_- Also other races do make fun of whites which isnt right either my question is when will people learn?  <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That Europe is the most rascist part of the world is bullsh*t!!

1st of all Europe is huge, has more that 250 million inhabitants and has many Countries that are very different from each other.

Each country in europe has different thoughts and diferent cultures so saying that europe is the most rascist place is easy to say but i don

No one is hunting Mexicans at the Border. Please follow your own advice and come up with facts not sensational nonsense.

I think it is fair to say that Europe is no more racist than any other place on earth. There are racial tensions in your country and in other places like Denmark. There are racial tensions in America. There are racial tensions in Asia, Africa, Australia and just about anywhere you go. America may seem to be overtly racist but I think it just appears that way because every single aspect of the American way of life has the potential to be on TV. Media coverage is significantly more substantial over here, so you see more of these things happening. Most TV news has a sensationalistic slant to it.

I don't think Europe is innocent when it comes to racism but it is not any worse than anywhere else in the world. I think the problem in Europe is that you guys are very nationalistic. You take pride in your countries, and your way of life. You have healthy rivalries with your neighbors. I think that a lot of people may see this as racism. I think it is just more prejudical nationalism and good natured fun. How many times have you started a sentence with "All Amercians are...". Or "All French are...". "All Ajax fans are..." Americans are guilty of it as well. "All Europeans are..." Americans take a lot of undeserved heat from just about every corner of the globe and sometimes we like to give a little back.

The solution to racism should not be about measuring who is more racist, but it should be improving our own lives to the point where race is not important.

No one is hunting Mexicans at the Border.  Please follow your own advice and come up with facts not sensational nonsense.

I think it is fair to say that Europe is no more racist than any other place on earth.  There are racial tensions in your country and in other places like Denmark.  There are racial tensions in America.  There are racial tensions in Asia, Africa, Australia and just about anywhere you go.  America may seem to be overtly racist but I think it just appears that way because every single aspect of the American way of life has the potential to be on TV.  Media coverage is significantly more substantial over here, so you see more of these things happening.  Most TV news has a sensationalistic slant to it.

I don't think Europe is innocent when it comes to racism but it is not any worse than anywhere else in the world.  I think the problem in Europe is that you guys are very nationalistic.  You take pride in your countries, and your way of life.  You have healthy rivalries with your neighbors.  I think that a lot of people may see this as racism.  I think it is just more prejudical nationalism and good natured fun.  How many times have you started a sentence with "All Amercians are...".  Or "All French are...".  "All Ajax fans are..."  Americans are guilty of it as well.  "All Europeans are..."  Americans take a lot of undeserved heat from just about every corner of the globe and sometimes we like to give a little back.

The solution to racism should not be about measuring who is more racist, but it should be improving our own lives to the point where race is not important.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

120north, i saw a documentary on tv about some very patriotic people in the U.S. who are hunting down poor mexicans at night and they had army suites and m-16

O53e'de: People in the Netherlands (and I am part Dutch way back) are a little too accepting of outsiders, witness the impending takeover of your country by non-Dutch, Muslim radicals. As to the Minutemen militia which in part patroled the Mexican border several weeks ago, the policy of the organizers was to simply observe and to report illegals to the Border Patrol. As private citizens, they are not empowered to detain suspected illegals and they were not doing that (one rogue did and was arrested). In America, as opposed to Europe, we have a tradition of individual citizens, acting through voluntary groups, doing worthwhile things which the government will not or cannot do. This is a continuation of this tradition.

I believe the definition of racism, by the way, is the belief that one racial/ethnic group of humans is biologically superior to another, i.e. smarter, better looking, more athletic. I think it is wrong to confuse this with cultural preferences, such as most Americans would prefer to live in the American/British culture which our country has enjoyed for over 300 years and which made our country great rather than a Spanish/Mexican culture which is largely foreign to our country and has resulted in the impoverishment of Mexico and most of Latin America. This doesnt mean the Mexicans are bad or we are good, it just means that most Americans would prefer to leave things the way they have been (look at the polls).

That Europe is the most rascist part of the world is bullsh*t!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm. Just this morning, I saw a BBC video of Serbian forces executing unarmed civilian Muslem men by shooting them execution style in the back of the head. I am told this is known as "ethnic cleansing". The video was taken as a "trophy" to show off to other Serbians. Last time I checked Serbia was in Europe. And I won't even bother to bring up Northern Ireland. Nothing like this has happened in the USA in more than 40 years but it still goes on in Europe. And we all know the real reason the French voted against ratifying the EU Constitution. The USA Constitution in comparison is more than 200 years old.

Sorry but Europe is in no position to lecture others on human rights, racism, or any of the other ills of this type. In fact most of these acts of inhumanity were perfected in Europe and exported to the rest of the world as it conquered other nations.

Hmm.  Just this morning, I saw a BBC video of Serbian forces executing unarmed civilian Muslem men by shooting them execution style in the back of the head.  I am told this is known as "ethnic  cleansing".  The video was taken as a "trophy" to show off to other Serbians.  Last time I checked Serbia was in Europe.  And I won't even bother to bring up Northern Ireland.  Nothing like this has happened in the USA in more than 40 years but it still goes on in Europe.  And we all know the real reason the French voted against ratifying the EU Constitution.  The USA Constitution in comparison is more than 200 years old. 

Sorry but Europe is in no position to lecture others on human rights, racism, or any of the other ills of this type.  In fact most of these acts of inhumanity were perfected in Europe and exported to the rest of the world as it conquered other nations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

America is also in no position to lecture other on human rights, for instance abu ghraib, guantanamo bay or just U.S. privat prisons.

Europe is not a saint at all when it comes to rascism, i didn

Archived