Target coming to Blakeny!

DigitalSky

At my former employer in Charlotte, part of our business line was creating economic impact models.

We were contacted by local legal representatives for Wal-Mart to prepare a fiscal impact analysis on a town in the Charlotte metro area that Wal-Mart was trying to enter (they needed a zoning change, which is why they wanted an impact study).

Needless to say, we politely refused the work because we weren't in the business of "creating" a model that validates what the client wants it to.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to be kidding me. The second site you linked to is actually FUNDED BY WALMART! The study you linked to was funded by Walmart and performed by "Global Insight" who is well known for creating junk-science to defend major corporations.

And 9 of your links come from Wake up Walmart which is funded by The United Food and Commercial Workers Union. All of these reports on both sides have an adgenda.

BTW some of your links are dead.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart because of their well documented predatory tactics of setting up shop on the edges of towns and sucking the life out of Main Street.

Once again, Wal-Mart does nothing of the sort. It is the CONSUMER who chooses to go to Wal-Mart and, thus, kill the Main Street business.

It's all about free choice, something Liberals have a tough time with since they only want their choices and want to make up your mind for you.

The small businesses are ruined by Wal-Mart, they are able to put massive pressure on suppliers to get even lower prices and do business with them because of their hegemonic power and stranglehold on vendors. MomnPop shops cannot compete, are undercut even more when try to match pricewise and die even with continued patronage by loyal residents. If your logic is to be believed, the corporate world and retailers have no self interest, profit goals, and the consumers determine everything. This is shortsighted and ignores the entire picture. While personal customer preferences do have an impact that is clearly not the only factor.

And throwing in the "Liberal" label after every point is getting very old. I don't correlate your "Conservative" views to where you buy your underwear. I happen to be Liberal,but I don't see how this applies to this specific argument and seems to intended to inflame the discussion and not inform.

The small businesses are ruined by Wal-Mart

Once again, prove that Wal-mart goes in and shuts them down. It is the CONSUMER who votes with their wallet on whether or not a store remains open.

It's called free choice buddy. Live with it or go over to China with your Commie buddies.

Its seems that idea of positioning the same stores close to each other is a growing trend. Starbucks does it constantly in bigger cities. I guess the assumption in fast growing areas is that there is enough constant traffic for all the stores to feed off each other.

You know what's interesting is that when Starbucks was first opened, the owner saw the long line he bought the empty place across the street and opened another because he know people would not wait forever.

I don't think either of those Targets will suffer because there is plently of demand in that growing area.

I think Harris Teeter does the same thing just so the competition doesn't encroach.

They also seriously underpay employees compared to other discount retailers. Their health benefits are subpar.

Are there other employers who also pay low wages similar to Wal-mart? K-Mart, McDonalds maybe?

I don't hear about other employers being accused of low pay but there must be some. The market would dictate it.

• 2 months later...

Marshalls and Home Goods will be joining the Blakeney Project. In addition, upscale retailers Coldwater Creek and White House/Black Market will join the project. Also joining the project are Off Broadway Show Warehouse, and restaurants Five Guys, Sugar Magnolia and Salad Creations

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/15625906.htm

There's another interesting retail project, a mile or two down Rea Rd at its intersection with Tom Short Rd, called Longview South.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news...on/15652164.htm

They say it's roughly the scope of Birkdale Village.

Longview South is a proposed 164-acre development on the northwest corner of the intersection of Tom Short and Rea roads. The project would include offices, shops, restaurants and houses. It would be roughly the size and scope of Birkdale Village in Huntersville

They are creating their own little world down there.

• 2 weeks later...

Since Wal-Mart was brought up in this thread (a few times), anyone know if they are going to be building one down on Rea Road? I know the citizens in that area have been fighting it tooth and nail. Have not been down that far in bit.

Eventuallly it will happen, it's just a question of when. I'm sure there will be 3 or 4 Wal Marts in south Charlotte in the next 5 years. A handful of citizens who think having 2 dry cleaners, a salon, 12 restaurants, a Marshall's, and 3 banks is good but Wal Mart is bad wont stop a multibillion dollar company like Wal Mart from building a store. Especially because once it is open, they will go there and shop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why do you guys say the Wal-Mart on the corner of Tom Short and Rea Road will not come to Marvin? I thought Wal-Mart recently appealed the judges decision. I hope you are correct as I live in Marvin, but I'm worried Wal-Mart won't give up the fight. In addition, I'm not sure even if Marvin annexed that land whether or not they can do anything about the Wal-Mart project which was previously approved. After all, Wal-Mart wouldn't have likely bought the land. Does anyone have any comments on this or know the current status of this legal matter?

Archived