Downtown Durham Development Map

yfreemark

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. Might be moving to Durham after business school. Anyway, here's an interesting project proposed for Brightleaf. 7 - story condos on W Main St. This is about a block from the new Solis Brightleaf. https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/12/19/new-luxury-condos-planned-for-downtown-durham.html

• Like 1

I started reading the Herald-Sun comments on the story about the 7 story condo building....holy hell...Durham (and Probably Orange county folks were weighing in too) is full of disdainful armchair Architects. I'd say like 75% of them hate this project calling it bland, boring and eastern block. They obviously never come to Raleigh or they'd feel much more fortunate. Either that or it's bred in to them than anything less than a master work is commoner drivel. Anyway, I consider myself fairly left (apologies for any political anything) and I was super turned off by this super out of touch, elite uppity tone exhibited from top to bottom in those comments. 

Any Durham folks want to chime in with some thoughts? I'm flummoxed by it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Story and updated photos of 555 Magnum in downtown Durham and the 2 adjoining apartment towers.  https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/12/29/towers-rising-downtown-durham-office-building.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2017-12-29&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1514586884&j=79417881

http://www.555mangumst.com/

I like that all of NC downtowns from Asheville to Wilmington are booming now including the 3 in the Triangle. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 3:17 PM, Jones_ said:

I started reading the Herald-Sun comments on the story about the 7 story condo building....holy hell...Durham (and Probably Orange county folks were weighing in too) is full of disdainful armchair Architects. I'd say like 75% of them hate this project calling it bland, boring and eastern block. They obviously never come to Raleigh or they'd feel much more fortunate. Either that or it's bred in to them than anything less than a master work is commoner drivel. Anyway, I consider myself fairly left (apologies for any political anything) and I was super turned off by this super out of touch, elite uppity tone exhibited from top to bottom in those comments. 

Any Durham folks want to chime in with some thoughts? I'm flummoxed by it. 

This is a late response, but I thought I'd add my two cents anyway.  I do not live in Durham, but I find its downtown to be pretty amazing.  Granted, Durham currently doesn't have the most impressive skyline in the world, but that's partly due to the number of gorgeous early-20th century tobacco buildings that, in my opinion, look better than pretty much anything in Raleigh (or even Charlotte, for that matter).  I think the seven-story building looks alright for what it is, but the plot is bordered by an older church on one side and an older store on the other, so it just looks sort of out of place.

If you go a block or so down the street and compare the rendered building with (for example) Brightleaf Square, the rendered building does look pretty bland and boring.  I suspect that's likely what most of the commenters feel as well.  If East West Partners plopped their building down next to the government complex in Raleigh, however, everyone would probably think it looked awesome.

On 4/26/2018 at 1:03 PM, pgsinger said:

Awesome!  Thanks!  I didn't know there was one for Raleigh as well.  There is one for Durham out there somewhere.

Ah....somehow I didn’t notice you posted this in he Durham forum. Sorry. 

Edited by Jones_

• 3 months later...
On 4/25/2018 at 11:11 AM, pgsinger said:

Does anyone have the link to the Google map with the development overlays?  Similar to Charlotte's map:  https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/development-maps/charlotte-development-map/

Not exactly what you asked, but this is a map of current Durham developments. http://www.buildingbullcity.com/p/map.html

@pgsinger @SteveFromFuquay

Had some free time this morning, so I've been putting together a Durham development map.  I'm not sure how to fully utilize Google Maps to the extent seen in the Charlotte development map, so it would be awesome if a couple of other people with more knowledge of these projects/Google Maps joined the cause.

Here's what I've got so far if you want to check it out: 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YAFJRo50cngno2pB3RBQd1tSiz_wJJqv&usp=sharing

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nicholas said:

Had some free time this morning, so I've been putting together a Durham development map.  I'm not sure how to fully utilize Google Maps to the extent seen in the Charlotte development map, so it would be awesome if a couple of other people with more knowledge of these projects/Google Maps joined the cause.

I think it looks great.  I am completely clueless on this stuff.  I just find the map for Charlotte incredibly easy to use to access all the projects.  I am 99% sure there is already a substantially built out map for Durham.  I just have no idea who it was that maintained it where the link is to it.  Try asking for help in the Charlotte development maps thread.  Those guys know their $hit.

Tagging a couple here so they know what you are working on.  Maybe these guys can give you some direction. @dubone @archiham04  Just know that everyone in the community appreciates the time and effort put into these things...especially people like me that don't have a lot to add but get a lot out.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 11:51 AM, nicholas said:

You're doing a great job. Let us know when you're done and I'd be happy to compare your map to the list of projects in my head. 

• Thanks 2

On 8/23/2018 at 7:43 AM, SteveFromFuquay said:

You're doing a great job. Let us know when you're done and I'd be happy to compare your map to the list of projects in my head. 

Just added a few more projects.  I tried including a pic of the rendering for 555 Mangum, but it's somewhat tedious to get pics of everything.  Any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated, I can allow others to edit the map if anyone's interested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like another good condo development coming to Durham, this one is across the intersection from the modernist townhomes shown above. Scott Harmon is very good at these mid-rise developments, including Church & Main, and Mangum Flats.  Here's a rendering of the new building. YANCEY%20STREET%20CONDOS.JPG

Even if you're not wild about the design, it's replacing this: 

image.png

Edited by SteveFromFuquay
  • Like 2

On 9/6/2018 at 11:43 PM, Phillydog said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Northgate will be redeveloped as a smaller version of North Hills...

Well, there's definitely a lot of activity happening in the actual mall, though nothing so far with the surrounding area. This story from the Indy details a project to convert some of the movie theaters at Northgate to live performance theaters. https://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/with-manbites-dog-gone-the-future-of-durham-theater-might-reside-at-wait-really-northgate-mall/Content?oid=17860656

Northgate is so unique in how it's situated...it's right up next to the walkable, low density urban parts of the City already. The fact that it's not huge, and felt more like a neighborhood shopping district than a mall in the first place, might be it's saving grace. I bet just some tweaks and reorientation of some parts, vs a complete leveling, would work just fine there. Say, close Sears, move Macys into the Sears space, then level the rental car area, Macys and its parking deck and rebuild that with apartments over retail, fronting Guess and Club. 

• Like 3