Downtown Durham Development Map

yfreemark

On 9/12/2018 at 11:43 AM, Jones_ said:

Northgate is so unique in how it's situated...it's right up next to the walkable, low density urban parts of the City already. The fact that it's not huge, and felt more like a neighborhood shopping district than a mall in the first place, might be it's saving grace. I bet just some tweaks and reorientation of some parts, vs a complete leveling, would work just fine there. Say, close Sears, move Macys into the Sears space, then level the rental car area, Macys and its parking deck and rebuild that with apartments over retail, fronting Guess and Club. 

Kinda what I said.  BTW, Macy's is closed.  

Thought I'd try to put together a list of the projects I'm aware of currently underway in and around DT Durham.  Nicholas' map is a good tool for visualizing the locations, but sometimes a list helps illustrate the sheer volume of activity.  I tried not to include things that are already finished like the Unscripted renovation or Bullhouse Apartments. I'm sure I missed a few, but this is still a pretty solid list considering it's all basically within a single 1.5 mile radius.

The one that excites me the most is the University Kia/Ford site (it's the big car dealership that's between American Tobacco the NC Mutual Life building). Going back to my childhood I was always flabbergasted that a big car dealership was right downtown next to the DBAP, I used to walk by on my way to games imagining what could be there instead. CBC did such a good job on American Tobacco that I know this will be a very good addition to Durham. Anyway, no more soapbox, feel free to add any missing projects. 

Active

• One City Center 
  • 555 Mangum
  • Durham Gateway Center Apartments
  • Broadstone Apartments
  • Gordan St Townhomes
  • Durham ID
  • Golden Belt Renovations
  • Leyland Post
  • Eleven Durham
  • Solis Brightleaf
  • Bartlett Durham
  • Springhill Suites
  • 500 Block Redevelopment
  • 300 Block Redevelopment
  • Durham Main Library Renovation
  • Mixed Use Parking Deck
  • Old Courthouse Renovation
  • Old Police HQ redevelopment
  • New Police HQ
  • Willard St. Mixed Income
  • Durham Belt Line
  • South Ellerbe Wetlands
  • 802 Washington
  • Yancey Condos

Potential/Conceptual

• University Kia Redevelopment
  • NC Mutual Life 2nd Tower
  • Golden Belt Expansion
  • Five Points Redevelopment
  • 614 Rigsbee Lot
  • Roxboro/Jackie Robinson Dr Tower
  • Oldham Towers/Liberty St Redevelopment
  • Fayette Place Redevelopment

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched this PBS special, all of these restaurants are located in DT Durham (depending if you include Little Five Points in DT), though a couple have closed. The people are all still active in the local food scene as far as I know. Thought I'd share it for anyone having a lazy Saturday. https://www.pbs.org/video/durham-jdk0nf/ 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just found this board - what a great resource for people interested in development in Durham.

To add to the conversation (in addition to making sure I get notifications on posts), there was an update on the Scott Harmon project - Yancey St/S. Duke St apartments. Wrote a quick update on my blog: http://www.buildingbullcity.com/2019/04/quick-update-city-port.html

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, rolly said:

@rancenc here's the gist of the article.

A condo complex is planned for downtown next to Durham Central Park.

6 stories, mixed-use commercial / residential with:

• 59 condos
  • 2 levels of parking with 81 spaces
  • 6K square feet for retail

I wonder what the address will be.  I can't figure out which parcel it is.

• 5 weeks later...

The Durham Police HQ moved to a new building, leaving the old structure built in the 50's to be re-developed. The city narrowed proposals down to two developers. Which looks better to you? I think the Durham politicians are going to fumble this one (looks like they want to go with Fallon).  But we'll see...

Akridge 
dp1.png.185a7f06cafcec5edfeb2969889279d1.png

dp2.png.b06a67730a78f9a6511542edb1985c96.png

Fallon
dp3.png.94dfd2ee62db7dfa4ea9ed612d9ebc4b.png

Edited by rolly
spelling

29 minutes ago, rolly said:

The Durham Police HQ moved to a new building, leaving the old structure built in the 50's to be re-developed. The city narrowed proposals down to two developers. Which looks better to you? I think the Durham politicians are going to fumble this one (looks like they want to go with Fallon).  But we'll see...

Akridge 

Fallon

It's Durham, of course they will fumble it. I was there in May for business and the downtown was deader than dead. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rolly said:

Akridge 

Fallon

Neither are terrible. Akridge looks the most interesting, but that always means more $$$. Both look pretty great from a street level perspective, and I'm probably one of the few that is happy this isn't super tall. I think Durham has a great critical mass of midrises forming at the moment, which will push for taller buildings on prime land. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 8:02 AM, DanRNC said:

It's Durham, of course they will fumble it. I was there in May for business and the downtown was deader than dead. 

That must be why NYC based PolicyGenius decided to open their office in downtown Durham as their 2nd HQ with 377 jobs

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/10/31/policygenius-picks-site-for-new-headquarters-in.html

Downtown Durham dead?  Not true. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1