Downtown Durham Development Map

yfreemark

3 hours ago, Durham_Transplant said:

This line of thinking is so frustrating. Here’s a thought: maybe having hundreds of people living across the street would actually *improve* the outlook for the Carolina Theater. With the major residential and office developments planned for that stretch in addition to new retail/restaurants I would think the theater could thrive as the arts centerpiece.

I agree.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/7/2022 at 8:40 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I don't really like the design, but it's better than having a huge parking garage.

620234328_DurhamConfidential.thumb.jpg.4d65acbbfbcd80094c2939eb30fbed97.jpg

Love that it's mid century modern.  More buildings in downtown Durham is great.

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

There goes my support for the Carolina Theater.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article263414508.html

Developer Nish Evans plans to demolish a downtown Durham building and replace it with a 12-story tower, records show. The Historic Preservation Commission unanimously granted Evans’ request this month because although the building is around a century old, it has been so dramatically altered that it is no longer thought to contribute to the district’s historic character. The building, at 216 Rigsbee Ave., is just south of the city’s Morgan-Rigsbee parking garage and opposite the U.S. Post Office….

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article263414508.html#storylink=cpy

D018B747-BA62-44A7-B431-9EB6EFC5EC5B.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Durham is considering an unsolicited $5 million offer for one of its downtown parking decks from a developer who wants to build the city’s tallest building on the land, but the City Council reacted with skepticism to the proposal Thursday. 

“We’ll find a way to make this happen,” - Craig Davis 

AF2E49C0-4864-4FCD-9D3D-B75381ED585C.jpeg

20994766-6B7F-4A06-ACC2-75499962B0B1.jpeg

Edited by Mid South NC
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Mid South NC said:

Durham is considering an unsolicited $5 million offer for one of its downtown parking decks from a developer who wants to build the city’s tallest building on the land, but the City Council reacted with skepticism to the proposal Thursday. 

“We’ll find a way to make this happen,” - Craig Davis 

AF2E49C0-4864-4FCD-9D3D-B75381ED585C.jpeg

20994766-6B7F-4A06-ACC2-75499962B0B1.jpeg

That would be an extremely short-sighted move on the city's part, that block is DEAD currently as it is a completely exposed ugly parking deck.  No one lives there, tax value is minimal, it's ugly....I mean name a single upside to the city killing/significantly watering down this project.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, nicholas said:

That would be an extremely short-sighted move on the city's part, that block is DEAD currently as it is a completely exposed ugly parking deck.  No one lives there, tax value is minimal, it's ugly....I mean name a single upside to the city killing/significantly watering down this project.

It makes so much sense and yet people have already started making silly complaints about it. That area could be the beginning for a true downtown core with the Y redevelopment project, the next phase of Durham ID, the Novus tower (plus phase 2 of that project) and this proposed tower. But leaving this huge chunk of that block as a parking deck really kills that momentum. I’m optimistic that it will get done in some form but it’s frustrating how much Durham gets in its own way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2022/10/durham-development-affordable-housing-city-council-research-triangle-park-earl-guill-dedreana-freeman-leonardo-williams

Durham City Council discusses proposed $5 million development, raises affordable housing concerns

a1db9e88-f7ad-4df9-a718-4cfc61620db6.siz

Photo by Irma Lopez | The Chronicle
By Ranjan Jindal
October 2, 2022 | 10:00pm EDT

It’s lame that they include a photo of Raleigh in an article about Durham…
Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Confused 1

We need affordable housing in Durham but we also need more market rate housing, commercial space, retail, etc. You can’t have a thriving downtown without these things. Yet every single project that is proposed in Durham is met with “we don’t need this, we need affordable housing”. We can have both and in fact a meaningful amount of affordable housing is getting built right downtown today. I’m very concerned that city leadership is going to end up squandering a generational opportunity for the city. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...