Downtown Durham Development Map

yfreemark

37 minutes ago, Raleigh Walker said:

Anyone know what's up with this DTD building being torn20220202_125056.thumb.jpg.62d2d3589a1b30ca167563e3d3f73623.jpg down?IMG_4117.thumb.jpg.3185f3c61fc0709ad3a7968db8df1508.jpgIMG_4112.thumb.jpg.845a375389f178c4b23500a73d216dfa.jpg

New 27 story residential tower soon to be underway. https://www.thenovus.com/

Second phase will supposedly be announced sometime this year and there have been allusions to that possibly being a hotel. It’s a ridiculously large site.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Durham_Transplant said:

New 27 story residential tower soon to be underway. https://www.thenovus.com/

Second phase will supposedly be announced sometime this year and there have been allusions to that possibly being a hotel. It’s a ridiculously large site.

Ahhhhhhh okay very very nice- I remember reading the news about that tower, just didn't realize that was the site or that a teardown would be required. I just wish they would tear down that prison looking NC Mutual building. SUCH an eyesore. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Raleigh Walker said:

Ahhhhhhh okay very very nice- I remember reading the news about that tower, just didn't realize that was the site or that a teardown would be required. I just wish they would tear down that prison looking NC Mutual building. SUCH an eyesore. 

Yeah I was definitely ready to see the old South Bank building go. According to those more well-versed in architecture it did have some level of historical value as a period-specific example but I always thought it was just hideous. This new project will also be going basically right across the street so significant changes to that piece of downtown: https://craigdavisproperties.com/our-work/durham-center-ii/

Regarding the Mutual Life building, I also don’t find it to be very aesthetically pleasing but given its ties to Black Wall Street and the black community in Durham seriously doubt it will ever be demolished. I do think that with the ATC West project and ultimately the redevelopment of the old police HQ site next to the Mutual Life building it will be less prominent in the future. Right now it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Raleigh Walker said:

I totally agree about the NC Mutual building.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 2:20 PM, Raleigh Walker said:

NC Mutual is a legacy tower for Durham.  I think there were plans announced not too long ago to give it a slight update, but not sure what the status is currently.  To me it's similar to the Winston Tower in Winston-Salem, which isn't the most attractive building in the traditional sense of the word, but is an icon in its skyline - and I am not a fan of that tower's lettering being replaced by Truliant.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Durham_Transplant said:

East West Partners developing the downtown Y site into a two tower complex with 27 stories residential and 11 stories office plus a state of the art new Y. Very big news. This is the third 25+ story tower announced within a couple blocks over the last few months.

Durham starting to look like South End Charlotte... Yet Raleigh seems to be struggling to get much out of the ground. I don't understand that. Is it really the affordable house aspect? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

Durham starting to look like South End Charlotte... Yet Raleigh seems to be struggling to get much out of the ground. I don't understand that. Is it really the affordable house aspect? 

I don’t have any real insight. My casual observation is that it feels like a lot of Raleigh projects are announced very early. Things to the effect of “New York developer eyes 40 stories in the Warehouse District” with no real formal plans.  A lot of the Durham projects, for whatever reason, are basically only publicly promoted once the final plan is pretty much baked and they then move to construction in fairly short order.

• Like 2

From the Triangle Biz Journal article about the new East West Partners tower at the YMCA site.  Construction should start in Oct. 

""This week, the YMCA announced that Chapel Hill developer East West Partners won out in a quiet contest to redevelop the Downtown Durham YMCA. Plans for the project call for a pair of buildings wrapping around a parking deck – including a 27-story residential tower and an 11-story office building with the new YMCA using the two bottom floors. Plans call for 295 apartments and 120,000 square feet of space for office use and ground-level retail.  The site is situated at 218 E. Morgan Street by Durham Central Park and currently features the existing YMCA building and surface parking.  East West Partners is paying for a 99-year ground lease, though it did not disclose the price.  The YMCA estimated the cost of its portion of the project to come in at $23 million, with a large portion of that paid for by the land lease and the rest made up through its recently-launched Heart of Durham Capital Campaign.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/02/09/east-west-partners-durham-ymca-development.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Durham_Transplant said:

I don’t have any real insight. My casual observation is that it feels like a lot of Raleigh projects are announced very early. Things to the effect of “New York developer eyes 40 stories in the Warehouse District” with no real formal plans.  A lot of the Durham projects, for whatever reason, are basically only publicly promoted once the final plan is pretty much baked and they then move to construction in fairly short order.

Raleigh development process is long and drawn out and very public with bits of NIMBYism baked into the process to discourage development by previous city councils. Anyone can comment on any part of the redevelopment process. It needs reform for sure. 

16 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

I thought the very same thing and wrote it two minutes ago before seeing this.  I totally agree with you on both points.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

You, strangely enough, would agree with anything that is negative towards Raleigh.

I was agreeing primarily on the comparison between Durnham and SouthEnd.     That being said, compared to Charlotte, projects in DT Raleigh are lagging.  It seems that within the Triangle, there's more demand for space in office parks or in North Hills.   I had hoped that the Fayetteville St project, which was to replace the garage, would inject some life into DT Raleigh, but it seems dead.

Trust me, I'd like to like Raleigh, but the DT just seems stagnant.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1