Downtown Durham Development Map

yfreemark

35 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I was agreeing primarily on the comparison between Durnham and SouthEnd.     That being said, compared to Charlotte, projects in DT Raleigh are lagging.  It seems that within the Triangle, there's more demand for space in office parks or in North Hills.   I had hoped that the Fayetteville St project, which was to replace the garage, would inject some life into DT Raleigh, but it seems dead.

Trust me, I'd like to like Raleigh, but the DT just seems stagnant.

You don't live here, but I do. Raleigh has one of the most active and vibrant downtowns in the state.

Sometimes I think that you need your head examined, or maybe with you it's just an integrity issue.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

26 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

You don't live here, but I do. Raleigh has one of the most active and vibrant downtowns in the state.

Sometimes I think that you need your head examined, or maybe with you it's just an integrity issue.

I live in Chapel Hill and am in Raleigh regularly.    There's no need to be rude.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 2/10/2022 at 12:02 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I was agreeing primarily on the comparison between Durnham and SouthEnd.     That being said, compared to Charlotte, projects in DT Raleigh are lagging.  It seems that within the Triangle, there's more demand for space in office parks or in North Hills.   I had hoped that the Fayetteville St project, which was to replace the garage, would inject some life into DT Raleigh, but it seems dead.

Raleigh has half the population and half the land area of Charlotte. I would be seriously confused if it had the same number of development projects. Keeping the low population and smaller city limits in mind- DTR is far, far from dead. Conversely, when you consider the fact that Charlotte is closing in on 1M, when you're downtown you can't help but think "... where tf is everyone?" 

Additionally, this is the downtown DURHAM thread. I know you like to troll Raleigh whenever you get a chance, but do not turn a DURHAM development thread into another Raleigh v Charlotte ****show. 

Edited by Raleigh Walker
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Raleigh Walker said:

Raleigh has half the population of Charlotte. I would be seriously confused if it had the same number of development projects. DTR is far, far from dead keeping the low population in mind. Conversely, when you consider the fact that Charlotte is closing in on 1M, when you're downtown you can't help but think "... Where tf is everyone?" 

Despite its population and number of tall buildings, Charlotte is far from the urban destination that some would like to pretend that it is.

I'll take Raleigh's culture and class any day over what's available in Charlotte.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/10/2022 at 12:02 PM, SydneyCarton said:

On 2/10/2022 at 12:32 PM, RALNATIVE said:

This thread is getting so off topic and delusional.  A ton of people are working from home currently, so obviously the downtown areas in cities like Raleigh and Charlotte where the largest draw for people has pretty much always been offices, are not going to be very active right now.  Basically the only thing that's getting people on the streets in downtowns right now is nightlife and other various attractions (parks, museums, etc) because there's very little shopping.  However, urban neighborhoods like Glenwood South and South End are becoming increasingly active and vibrant at basically all hours of the day, and I don't get the impression that yall have visited either one in a while.

I will say though, I do think there is a sentiment among a lot of outsiders that nothing is ever built in Raleigh, which lends itself to the perception that nothing really happens there.  Probably partly because they never visit, and partly because so many projects never actually make it beyond the proposal stage.  Of course every growing city has its share of proposed towers that never make it out of the ground, or are drastically downsized, but for some reason Raleigh seems to have an inordinate amount of them.  Hopefully this current wave of proposals will help break that perception, but honestly at this point I kind of have to see actual construction starting before I get excited about a new tower.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, nicholas said:

This thread is getting so off topic and delusional.  A ton of people are working from home currently, so obviously the downtown areas in cities like Raleigh and Charlotte where the largest draw for people has pretty much always been offices, are not going to be very active right now.  Basically the only thing that's getting people on the streets in downtowns right now is nightlife and other various attractions (parks, museums, etc) because there's very little shopping.  However, urban neighborhoods like Glenwood South and South End are becoming increasingly active and vibrant at basically all hours of the day, and I don't get the impression that yall have visited either one in a while.

I will say though, I do think there is a sentiment among a lot of outsiders that nothing is ever built in Raleigh, which lends itself to the perception that nothing really happens there.  Probably partly because they never visit, and partly because so many projects never actually make it beyond the proposal stage.  Of course every growing city has its share of proposed towers that never make it out of the ground, or are drastically downsized, but for some reason Raleigh seems to have an inordinate amount of them.  Hopefully this current wave of proposals will help break that perception, but honestly at this point I kind of have to see actual construction starting before I get excited about a new tower.

Bingo. These threads are full of armchair quarterback types who have rarely, or at least not in recent years, visited the cities that they profess to know so much about.

All one has to do is review the statistics and publicly available data, rather than relying on subjective posts in a forum like urbanplanet for information, and you can easily understand how any city is growing and developing.

3 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Um, what???  I live in San Diego, which has a super vibrant downtown and many happening, walkable neighborhoods far outside of downtown, so I don't really have a dog in this fight.  Although, full disclosure, I lived in Charlotte for six years in the 1980s, I visit a couple times a year, and it still holds a piece of my heart.  But it is NOT the place I remember when I lived there way back when.  Your comment "where tf is everyone" with respect to Uptown Charlotte seems perfectly suited for the Uptown Charlotte of my memories,  but not the actual Uptown Charlotte of today.  Back when I  lived in Charlotte in the '80s, Uptown shut down at 5:00 every weeknight, and all the office workers got in their cars and drove to their homes way out in the suburbs.  On Friday at 5:00 PM, UT Charlotte shut for the weekend, not coming back to life until Monday morning.  That's the Charlotte of my memories.  But I was there in October and was shocked to see that it is no longer anything like that AT ALL.

It was a Friday evening in October when I arrived at Charlotte-Douglas Intn'l Airport.  I rented a car and was going to meet some friends for dinner at Optimist Hall, just north of Uptown.  They said they would call me when they left their house and were on their way to Optimist Hall.  So I decided to kill some time while waiting for their call and went for a drive around South End.  Of course, I was immediately stuck in traffic there as hoards of people were out and about.  I was on the north side of South End -- the part closest to Uptown -- when my friends called to let me know they were on their way to Optimist Hall.  I immediately started heading north and figured the quickest route from northern South End ti Optimist Hall was right up Tryon St. through Uptown.  In the Uptown Charlotte in my mind -- the Uptown Charlotte of the 1980s -- that route made perfect sense because that was always a five-minute trip.  But I was shocked to learn that's not how it is at all in the Uptown Charlotte of the 2020s.  It took me half an hour to get through Uptown as people literally were everywhere -- all sorts of people.  There were people in cars, people on bicycles, people on scooters, pedestrians.  I saw young people, I saw older people.  I saw families, couples, single people.  I saw people of every color and hue.  I saw people in casual clothes and people dressed to the nines, coming in and out of museums and the  theater and restaurants and bars.  I heard all the sounds of the city, I saw excitement everwhere.  I had to pinch myself:  Am I really in Charlotte?  It felt like I was dreaming.

That said, I visited downtown Durham about a year ago.  It was my first time in Durham in decades.  I was pleasantly surprised because that city always got a bad wrap.  But the downtown looked beautiful.  I love that (unlike Charlotte) so many -- most, probably -- of its older buildings are still there.  And they are wonderful buildings.  And nice little urban park spaces.  There was some activity on the streets and a few restaurants and shops open for business.  I saw so much potential, and I sincerely hope that potential is realized without sacrificing any of those wonderful old buildings.

Couldn't  agree more! I spend half the week in town, and even on this side of the pandemic Charlotte is thriving. Uptown is booming, construction in every ward, the city is vibrant, people are everywhere, and the ongoing growth is phenomenal. 

Edited by Mid South NC
  • Like 4

On 3/2/2022 at 11:57 PM, JorgiPorgi said:

There is no way you have been in uptown charlotte in the past ten years if you think people are saying “where tf is everyone” LOL.  

Anyway, why is there rivalry between NC cities? I like seeing all the major cities thrive and regularly check all of their threads in here for updates. I can’t imagine anyone going into any thread wanting to troll because they have a rivalry or vendetta against another fellow NC city. Get that garbage outta here. 

Relax- I didn't mean anything by it, I was just annoyed with Syd's attempted slight on DTR. Of course downtown Charlotte is active and has lots of people. Last time I was there was admittedly in 2019 before the pandemic, but it was a Friday night and I was just a bit surprised to see so few people out and about for a city with that large of a population. My wife and I are planning to stay in Charlotte for a weekend this spring, as I definitely want to go back. I like Charlotte quite a bit. I do think we are all getting off topic- this is a downtown Durham thread. On that note, this building now reminds me of a fish bone :D 

20220304_180319.thumb.jpg.cd414b1ded4b7fde6ee99badeb080739.jpg20220304_180336.thumb.jpg.d93d7fdab6aced6e082f30e8f51697e5.jpg20220304_180414.thumb.jpg.24d3bd5e799eacce038efabfb7cf9f36.jpg20220304_180334.thumb.jpg.f3c0e1b75f2201d17691f63add697ca0.jpg20220304_180312.thumb.jpg.d97d9edf80e42bc6b2a8b9e8820926a8.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/5/2022 at 1:30 PM, Raleigh Walker said:

Relax- I didn't mean anything by it, I was just annoyed with Syd's attempted slight on DTR. Of course downtown Charlotte is active and has lots of people. Last time I was there was admittedly in 2019 before the pandemic, but it was a Friday night and I was just a bit surprised to see so few people out and about for a city with that large of a population. My wife and I are planning to stay in Charlotte for a weekend this spring, as I definitely want to go back. I like Charlotte quite a bit. I do think we are all getting off topic- this is a downtown Durham thread. On that note, this building now reminds me of a fish bone :D 

I was responding to someone who said that development in DT Raleigh seemed slow compared to Charlotte, and I simply agreed.  Neither he, nor I were knocking Raleigh.  It's a fact that DT Raleigh has a lot less development than Charlotte.   It's my understanding that the Triangle and Charlotte have similar metro populations.  However, office space seems to be far more spread out in the Triangle than it is in Charlotte.  Also, the types of businesses in this area (e.g., biotech and tech) may not be suited to traditional downtown offices.  Perhaps that explains it.

In any event, there's no reason to feel insulted.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, rancenc said:

I am super stoked to see how she looks from 147 once some of these 20+ story buildings are up. Sounds like we should start seeing Novus work pretty soon. The building that's being demolished seems like it will be totally done with in another week or so. Just a little nub left.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MidTenn1 said:

I used to visit Raleigh-Durham quite often when my daughter lived there, so I still have an interest in the boom that is to occur soon in these cities.

From the Craig Davis website, a couple of slides I made of the Durham Center II project.

1335633547_DurhamC.thumb.jpg.6f96020d9b1593c1f5801899d72247b8.jpg

1978464227_DurhamC2.thumb.jpg.6730817a4532c199d2ff7f20202e0d86.jpg

Love this building's mid century vibe.  I pray it gets built!

• Like 1