For sure projects?

larry

Over the last several years, I have constantly read of fantastic projects that were planned for Charlotte and the result was disappointment. Since I do not live in town but may be moving there eventually, could someone please tell me what is 'definately' going to be built or what has already broken ground? I have read about the Park for several years. I believe that it has gone away? Anyway, please update me on current 'non-speculated' status. Thank you very much. And, does the two Indian restaurants still exist in downtown? One was the Curry-in-a-Hurry and the other one was located downstairs of some building on Tryon Street.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as restaurants, I just ate at Curry House the other day (the one in the old Ivey's on Tryon). I'm not sure of the other one.

Things that are definetly happening. Courtside is under construction and they are starting on the 2nd floor now. TradeMark (28 stories) is for sure and is starting in March. Novare's 35 story condo is about 95% for sure and is starting in April. The Park I believe is dead though technically they are still wading through the permitting process. The Wachovia tower is about 75% for sure but might not start till late this year. The uptown arena's exterior is almost complete as is the Children's Learning Center. Both will be opened by years end. The courhouse is topped out and will be completed sometime next year. The parking deck for the courthouse is U/C though they removed the most interesting design feature due to the cost. EpiCentre (the big convention center redo) is nebulous at best. I believe that the retail/entertainment portions will begin by years end. I also do believe that their will be a large apartment tower somewhere in the 50 story range. They still need financing and site plan approval, but it they will likely be able to get these and I would assume start construction either very late this year or early next year.

On the smaller project side Citiview (J&W's 8-story student apartments) is almost completed on the exterior and should be finished by this summer. Court 6 is for sure and will be started once the Courtside parking deck is completed. The Renwick (4-story condos) are about 85% for sure and should start next month. M Street which are townhomes and flats are for sure and should start in March. The Garrison at Graham still needs zoning approval which it will likely get. I expect it is a sure thing and should start construction this summer.

Have I left anything out?

As far as restaurants, I just ate at Curry House the other day (the one in the old Ivey's on Tryon).  I'm not sure of the other one.

Things that are definetly happening.  Courtside is under construction and they are starting on the 2nd floor now.  TradeMark (28 stories) is for sure and is starting in March.  Novare's 35 story condo is about 95% for sure and is starting in April.  The Park I believe is dead though technically they are still wading through the permitting process.  The Wachovia tower is about 75% for sure but might not start till late this year.  The uptown arena's exterior is almost complete as is the Children's Learning Center.  Both will be opened by years end.  The courhouse is topped out and will be completed sometime next year.  The parking deck for the courthouse is U/C though they removed the most interesting design feature due to the cost.  EpiCentre (the big convention center redo) is nebulous at best.  I believe that the retail/entertainment portions will begin by years end.  I also do believe that their will be a large apartment tower somewhere in the 50 story range.  They still need financing and site plan approval, but it they will likely be able to get these and I would assume start construction either very late this year or early next year.

On the smaller project side Citiview (J&W's 8-story student apartments) is almost completed on the exterior and should be finished by this summer.  Court 6 is for sure and will be started once the Courtside parking deck is completed.  The Renwick (4-story condos) are about 85% for sure and should start next month.  M Street which are townhomes and flats are for sure and should start in March.  The Garrison at Graham still needs zoning approval which it will likely get.  I expect it is a sure thing and should start construction this summer. 

Have I left anything out?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why do you think the Park is finally kaput?

As far as the Park.....right now they are being held up by a wastewater permit. They can still correct that and continue. The problem is that they've been denied on about every permit they've tried to receive on the first time around. Granted they've been able to get approval after revising their plans but this has taken since May when they first started applying. This does not bode well for the project in general. Also, seeing as 2 more towers will be coming out the ground in the next few months, their will be a considerable amount of pressure to retain those already committed. Granted, it is a slightly more upscale project aimed at an older clientelle, but considering the numerous delays and competition I say it's dead in the water. Now, seeing as that the parking deck was built to support a high-rise, I think someone in the future may be able to revive these plans, but probably not in the next few years.

I have my sources :-) I'll just say that are directly from the developers mouth, trusted people that I work with who have spoken to the developers, lenders on these projects, and city planners. I'd say in general, that the newspapers, while a great source of information usually only have about half the details.

The whole reason that The Park is being held up is that its a revolutionary design for utilites in the building that no other condo highrise has...since its new to Charlotte its taking a few rounds of permitting to get things up to code. I hold out hope for The Park...but every week that goes by with no permit approval...my hopes dim.

The whole reason that The Park is being held up is that its a revolutionary design for utilites in the building that no other condo highrise has...since its new to Charlotte its taking a few rounds of permitting to get things up to code. I hold out hope for The Park...but every week that goes by with no permit approval...my hopes dim.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is so upscale, you can't even see it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've said this before, but if I reserved a unit in the Park, I would either be demanding my $ back or some sort of discount on the price. The longer it's held up, the longer they are holding my deposit for free as I hear announcement after announcement of more reasonably priced and exciting developments being planned. People must be bailing out at this point on their reservations.

I've said this before, but if I reserved a unit in the Park, I would either be demanding my $ back or some sort of discount on the price.  The longer it's held up, the longer they are holding my deposit for free as I hear announcement after announcement of more reasonably priced and exciting developments being planned.  People must be bailing out at this point on their reservations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On the flip side of that, each passing month the price they originally paid (if they reserved a place waaaayyy back when the building first hit the scene at $200 per square foot (if I recall correctly)) is getting a great bargain. Like a rental with no renters and free price appreciation.

However, if I were looking for a place to live, yeah, I would be PO'ed.

In regard to one of the earlier messages, BTW, they've poured the 3rd floor on Courtside. Looks like the first floor, but the retail space is two floors high with a balcony.

Fingers are crossed for an ESPNZone, then all I have to do is take the elevator up after drinking too much.

On the flip side of that, each passing month the price they originally paid (if they reserved a place waaaayyy back when the building first hit the scene at $200 per square foot (if I recall correctly)) is getting a great bargain.  Like a rental with no renters and free price appreciation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point. I guess I am looking at it like a project that definitely won't happen. But like you say, if it does get built, it's like having a free call option that's appreciating. Well, fingers crossed that it gets built.

Just outside the loop is the Elizabeth and Midtown Projects...bringing movie theatres, restarants, grocery stores, EXPO, Target, residential. All that will be coming online in the next 2-4 years. And its a 100% definite.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also just outside the loop, the Belmont Plan/Piedmont Courts redevelopment is a 100% definite.

• 3 weeks later...

There are two projects that I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not they have started construction.....anyone who knows for sure please let me know if they have broken ground.

1. The Charlotte Whitewater Park by the Catawba River.

2. The Embassy Suites and Convention Center in Concord.

as far as i know, the embassy suites in concord....they have been clearing the brush and grading the land since early January. that is supposed to end by March. and then construction should start and take around 18 months.

as far as i know, the embassy suites in concord....they have been clearing the brush and grading the land since early January. that is supposed to end by March. and then construction should start and take around 18 months.

I can vouch for this construction being started as I work extremely close to this project.

I thought I'd add Piedmont Town Center to the list of for sure projects.......it doesn't have the same height as the other projects, but it's not too bad either.....2 8-story office buildings, 1 9-story condo tower and 1 10-story condo tower.....plus 2 6-story apartment buildings......the office buildings and apartments buildings will have ground floor retail and all the parking for this project is decked.

It is still somewhat suburban in design, but the connectivity with existing streets is better than most projects and their will be pretty good public space. Also, the apartment/retail buildings' facade will feature a variety of materials and coloration in a well executed manner. This is by far the best suburban development in the city at the moment.

Grubb's Morrison Place will also be better than average, though the building heights don't make much sense to me......2 story by the major roads working up to 6-7 stories against the neighborhoods.

All in all, Southpark is transforming into a more urban feeling community, I would imagine it will soon be similar to much of suburban DC.

Archived