Nashville Revitalization

linclink

Hi Guys!

Am rather new here, and this is my first post. I live in Fort Lauderdale Fl. and am considrering buying a property in Nashville, so my question is for the Nashville residents out there! I have found a property one block north of Charlotte Ave (off of D B Todd Jr Bv). We would not live in the property, (we will move to Nashville in 1 1/2 years) but it would be an investment. I have researched the area and noticed that there is revitalization occuring off of Church Street, as well as west End. My question is, do you think Charlotte Ave will ever see any improvement or should I maybe look elsewhere to invest? I don't have tons of money to invest, so it would have to be an area that is not yet good, but that is promising. I am also looking at a house in east Nashville close to Shelby Park in Edgehill. Which are do you think has more potential? Since I don't live there any and ALL opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

Paula

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that area of town is not the best in the city. it's right next to metro general hospital. but it is close to tennessee state university which is nice. that whole section of charlotte is kind of high in crime. i would suggest maybe something in east nashville. there is a renovation going on out there and a lot of people are buying the old houses and refinishing them. plus if you like football, that's where the football stadium is. so that being said, i'd go for the house by shelby park. the values will be more likely to jump there than off of charlotte ave. and d.b. todd.

Wow!

Thanks for the heads up. Since the Charlotte location is less than a mile from downtown, one street north of Church street, etc.. .etc... I was really leaning toward it.

Even though there is the revitalization in Historic Edgehill, I thought Charlotte would get better faster. Like I said, I will not be living in Nashville for another 1 - 1 1/2, and even then I think we would buy something in Cool Springs/Franklin, or Bellevue (would love to live in Green hills, or Belle meade, but am toooooo poor for that.. hehehehehe)

Well, thanks so much for the heads up!!!!

Hope to hear some input from some other Nashvillians!!

Paula

btw, welcom to the forums!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, you definatly should talk to other nashvillians. especially ones who live in the areas you're planning on looking at. cool springs and franklin are beautiful areas, but i hope you like subdivisions because that's all there is out there and it'll only get worse (or better depending on how you look at it). bellevue is a nice area, but pretty far from everything. you should check out south nashville. it's close to everything and has a lot to choose from. it's also cheaper than it's southern neighbors in williamson county. good luck with whatever you do though!

You might also check out Hendersonville or Gallatin in Sumner County. The schools are on the same level as Williamson County and there's not much in Williamson that can't be found here anymore. The home's are also considerably cheaper....thought not as low as Bellevue or Wilson County. The lake is a nice added bonus too.

Good advice.

ALSO:

Avoid Rutherford County like the PLAGUE!

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D

Well THANKS !!!!!

I have to say, I have only been to Nashville twice. I lived in Chicago until I was 11, and have been in Fort Lauderdale for the past 17 years. I LOVE IT here. My husband wants to go into music (what else?!!??!) and had to spend a good 5 years convincing me to move to Nashville. Once we went there I was hooked though (even thought theres no beaches, and very little canals and lakes and rivers.... :( ) But truly, I found it to be an amazing place, with the nicest people I have ever met!!! I DON'T like developments, so I guess cool springs/franklin would be out of the question... I figured they had some nice residential neighborhoods there, though come to think of it, I didn't see any (accept close to downtown franklin ,and I can imagine the prices there).... Like I said, I fell in love with the Green Hills, Belle Meade area, but.... who wouldn't... hehehe I did consider Rutherford County... but I guess I wont anymore.. heheheh As for Bellevue, I thought it had some nice neighborhoods, thats what I liked about it... if there are other areas with nice residential neighborhoods, please let me know!!!

As for the investment properties.... You know, 6 years ago we had realtor friends who tried to get us to buy some VERY cheap homes in one of the worst parts of town (Fort. Laud.).... we said NO WAY... today its worth ALOT... Why? Revitalization, and people moving downtown! So, with that said, I'm hoping not to make the same mistake twice. It seems that Nashville is starting to go down the same road we're currently on in South Florida, and thats a good thing. Fort Lauderdale certainly looks AMAZING since all this has happened. However, you can't even buy a shack in the worst part of town for less then 200,000!!! And even then only if your lucky!!! So in that regard it's not been good. Median home prices went from the 90's 8 years ago, to 360,000 and its still rising with no end in site!!!

Well, again, thanks for the heads up!!!

Paula

Thanks for the heads up on Sumner County, I had not considered it!!! Will definetly look into it!!!

I'm no Nashvillian (I'd like to be), but I'd say living as close to downtown as possible is a good idea. A lot of stuff is going to happen there in the next few years, and I would love to be a part of it. Don't know if you feel the same way, though. But if you don't really care about that, the Sylvan Park area in West Nashville is a very nice place to live, and it's not terribly far from downtown. My grandma lives there.

Thanks for the heads up!!!

I am SUPER excited about all the proposed projects and changes! The Gulch, The Souds Stadium, Symphony Concert Hall, etc... etc... I'd love to stay downtown, or at least across the river in the edgefield area. My only concern is the crime rate and the schools. We have 3 children ages 3, 5 and 8 and so we really need a place where they can play outside, and where we don't need to worry too much about their safety (of course we worry no matter where we are... but you get what I mean...)

If it weren't for the kids, we would be alot more flexible in terms of where we could live. But I will definetly check out the sylvan park area!

Thanks again!!!!

Paula

I'm no Nashvillian (I'd like to be), but I'd say living as close to downtown as possible is a good idea.  A lot of stuff is going to happen there in the next few years, and I would love to be a part of it.  Don't know if you feel the same way, though.  But if you don't really care about that, the Sylvan Park area in West Nashville is a very nice place to live, and it's not terribly far from downtown.  My grandma lives there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the heads up on Sumner County, I had not considered it!!!  Will definetly look into it!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a lot going on in Sumner Right now and you definitely have many choices. Gallatin has a great stock of historic homes as well as new developments and Hendersonville has some beautiful homes lining the lake and older neighborhoods in addition to shiny new subdivisions and planned communities. Since you have kids, Hendersonville boasts the finest elemetary school in the state. (Indian Lake Elementary) and the rest are all well above state and national averages. H'ville also has an extremely large parks department with lots of local greenspaces and community activities.

Charlotte Pike currently isn't an area noted for redevelopment.

East Nashville is a far better bet, however prices there have skyrocketed already. From homes that were $100,000 in 1995, they would be $300-500k in 2005. For homes that were $25-50k they are now $150k.

Germantown is probably a good idea. Its actually within the downtown loop and is undergoing revitalization, but isn't quite outrageous yet. In 5 years it may be...

Charlotte Pike currently isn't an area noted for redevelopment.

East Nashville is a far better bet, however prices there have skyrocketed already. From homes that were $100,000 in 1995, they would be $300-500k in 2005. For homes that were $25-50k they are now $150k.

Germantown is probably a good idea. Its actually within the downtown loop and is undergoing revitalization, but isn't quite outrageous yet. In 5 years it may be...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i totally forgot about germantown. it's an awesome little area and in downtown's backyard. did anyone ever eat at monell's out there? oh man, talk about awesome food.

Hey guys!!!

Thanks a million!!!! All your suggestions have been taken to heart!!! I really like the idea of living in the germantown area, since it is so close to downtown! Is it safer than east Nashville?

Heckles, you mentioned how you would not live in the suburbs.... having been born in Downtown Sao Paulo, Brasil (and having lived there till I was 3) then, having grown up in DOWNTOWN Chicago until I was 11... and moving to Fort Lauderdale (ok.. thats now a big urban city...)... but even in Fort, we have always lived pretty much downtown... I would prefer to live in the city.

However, having said that... with 3 kids... I now have to think about yards and schools, and quiet streets... etc... Of course, I have to draw the line somewhere, and that would be at developments. I can't STAND THEM!!! Give me a nice 100 year old fix me upper and I will be SOOOO happy!!! New homes are not my thing... unless it's a modern house which then is a whole other story....

As for the Gernmantown area... what is being planned for that area?!?!? Anyone have sketches or projects that they can post?

Thanks again guys!! Nashville really seems to be coming into its own! I really liked the website about the Gulch, and really hope the signature tower comes through!!!!

Paula

They also opened one in Gallatin.  The food is great and so is the concept.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nashville is such a long way from "being there" I doubt it'll ever "get there" so to speak.

BUT, Germantown is an up and coming urban neighborhood. Its generally safe, but to the northwest of Germantown lies a public housing district. So I think its safe to say you wouldn't want your kids walking around past nightfall. Yes you certainly have to think about education and what-not, but if you are wanting to live in the city in a district that has both good schools and isn't that far out of downtown, you may want to consider West End neighborhoods. Problem is cost of living - can be sky high.

Germantown may not be good for educational opportunities, although I don't know what schools your kids would be going to. You may want to check on that yourself.

Archived