Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

i really hope that they don't keep all of that parking. our downtown needs more density and less parking lots. I wish that they would put a building on top of that lot across from the entrance of the QS-1 building too, but i guess that space needs to be there for Sonny's pizza.

are those apartments behind the converse plaza housing authority? even if they are, i think that it would be great if someone bought that property and replaced those with some nice condos or apartments. something with nice landscaping too. i wish there was some more business in the converse plaza also. i think that shopping center has potential, but i don't think it's nearly as great as it could be. something needs to replace that run down cinema. another question. does anyone know if they're going to build any new apartments where those ghetto ones used to be on woodburn road. they were located right on the other side of the old bridge near the entrance of converse heights.

Where is the Converse Plaza Housing Authority? I'm having trouble placing that one. the Converse Plaza isn't very well organized IMO. They need to tear down the entire easten section and bulid something better there. But if not, it need an anchor better than the theater.

As for the apartments on Woodburn Rd, yes. Johnson Development bought that, and cleared it. Something great will go there I'm sure, but they haven't announced anything officially yet. I suspect that some townhomes will be put there. That is just speculation though

As for the apartments on Woodburn Rd, yes. Johnson Development bought that, and cleared it. Something great will go there I'm sure, but they haven't announced anything officially yet. I suspect that some townhomes will be put there. That is just speculation though

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard that Mr. Johnson bought those apartments and bulldozed them to help clean up walkthrough traffic in Converse Heights with no intention of ever putting anything else there. If I lived there and had his money...there is NO way I'd put apartments back in my neighborhood...

I have to disagree with you. Johnson has a better reputation than that, and he won't let a property sit while not making him money for too long. He WILL do something with that lot. The big question is what.

I want to see something with moderate density. Considering where it is located, I think some upscale apartments or townhomes would be the best fit.

I have to disagree with you. Johnson has a better reputation than that, and he won't let a property sit while not making him money for too long. He WILL do something with that lot. The big question is what.

I want to see something with moderate density. Considering where it is located, I think some upscale apartments or townhomes would be the best fit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i wasn't saying it as if it was BAD thing against Johnson by any means by letting it sit...that's a lot better than what it was...just relaying what i was told...can't imagine him being so quick to make a buck on area where some of Spartanburg's most prominent citizens live...just my 2 cents..i guess we'll just have to wait and see what he does...

Very true. This is why I am saying it will be an upscale development. The people in that area won't let another Woodridge apartments be constructed. But I don't think they would want that land to sit barren for too long either.

Those apartments were an eyesore in anotherwise attractive area. I can't think of anyone who wasn't happy to see them torn down.

i'm not even sure if the apartments near converse plaza are housing authority, i think they are, not positive. anyway, they're right behind blockbuster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those apartments are not housing authority. I've seen them in the apartment guide.

I'm a little concerned about the Marble Slab being in Converse Plaza.  Not a whole lot of visibility and walk-by traffic.  Put it downtown!!!! (so I can walk)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the idea would be movies then ice cream, so it will get exposure since that theater gets half of the movies in Hillcrest. That said, I would rather see it downtown. I thought about it when Scott Talley told me about it, but I didn't say anything. I should have though. But you can franchise these things, so we could all get together and put one there ;) If I had any money I would seriously consider it though.

Those apartments are not housing authority. I've seen them in the apartment guide.

Well, the idea would be movies then ice cream, so it will get exposure since that theater gets half of the movies in Hillcrest. That said, I would rather see it downtown. I thought about it when Scott Talley told me about it, but I didn't say anything. I should have though. But you can franchise these things, so we could all get together and put one there ;) If I had any money I would seriously consider it though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too agree that Marble Slab would be a great addition to downtown but Converse Plaza is an attractive, well run (Johnson Development, as in George Dean Johnson) development. The cinema still draws decent crowds to it's first run shows and Bloclkbuster and Gerhard's anchor the center well. This, inspite of the vacant grocery store at the far end.

I hope it does great. I'll do my part. Fell in love with their ice-cream while visiting New Orleans several years back. I also hope the location serves them well. The way it is orientated (sideways to the road) just doesn't lend itself to a lot of visibility toward the back. I have several friends who live on the Eastside that didn't even know that Gerhards was even there. Also, Brusters ice cream already has a headstart for that Eastside business.

I hope it does great.  I'll do my part.  Fell in love with their ice-cream while visiting New Orleans several years back.  I also hope the location serves them well.  The way it is orientated (sideways to the road) just doesn't lend itself to a lot of visibility toward the back.  I have several friends who live on the Eastside  that didn't even know that Gerhards was even there.  Also, Brusters ice cream already has a headstart for that Eastside business.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My wife loves Marble Slab. Everytime we head up to Pigeon Forge, Tennesee she has to have their ice cream. Bruster's is excellent too.

I think Marble Slab could be an additional traffic generator for this center and perhaps might improve the chances for the empty grocery store. Most of the center is leased except for the grocery store.

I have my fingers crossed that the cinema will remain open. Spartanburg has a ton of screens right now.

I hope it does great.  I'll do my part.  Fell in love with their ice-cream while visiting New Orleans several years back.  I also hope the location serves them well.  The way it is orientated (sideways to the road) just doesn't lend itself to a lot of visibility toward the back.  I have several friends who live on the Eastside  that didn't even know that Gerhards was even there.  Also, Brusters ice cream already has a headstart for that Eastside business.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that they can share quite easily. Brusters is a different atmosphere altogether. I like them both :)

My wife loves Marble Slab.  Everytime we head up to Pigeon Forge, Tennesee she has to have their ice cream.  Bruster's is excellent too. 

I think Marble Slab could be an additional traffic generator for this center and perhaps might improve the chances for the empty grocery store.  Most of the center is leased except for the grocery store.

I have my fingers crossed that the cinema will remain open.  Spartanburg has a ton of screens right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The new theater shouldn't affect traffic on the Eastside at all. There are those of us who would rather not drive to the Westside just to see a movie. As I understand it, there are zones for movie viewing, and the Eastside is its own area, so it will still get all the major flicks. This means Carmike and Converse can still split eveything, but Wynnsong and Westgate have to share with the new one. Unless we get a new theater (or more screens in an existing one) on the eastside I won't worry about one closing up.

i think that they need to at least renovate that theater.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember back when that one and Carmike were state-of the art facilities :) It wasn't that long ago either.

What would everyone think about a theater located downtown? I know Greenville is talking about this... why can't we do it first? There are enough empty lots to where it could happen :)

does anyone have more info on the renovation of the theater in the bottom of the montgomery building?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont't. But if Arthur Cleveland still owns it, then it could have easily gotten hung up. Does anyone know if he does still own it? I know that he didn't make payments on it and it went up for auction a while back. I am not sure if he managed to keep it.

i think that a theater downtown is a great idea. anything to bring some more nightlife to the area. If they brought one to downtown how many screens do you think it should be and where do you think the best location for it would be. I think maybe somewhere in walking distance from wofford. If we had an attraction like that in the downtown area maybe that would spur more late night resturants or coffee shops and our Marble Slab to open so there would be more to do before or after a movie.

Ideally, I would like it to be at St John and Church. There are law offices there that are very unattractive. It would be near Morgan Square and could potrentialy spur redevelopment into other sections of downtown. If it is located there, it would be a big draw in itself. It would only need to be a few screens (4 or 5) to make a profit I would think. I don't want a big megaplex like the Spartan 16 downtown. That would be extremely bad.

Another location could be along Kennedy St or in the Renaissance Park. West Main st could use it to try to bring that part of town up. Does anyone else have any other locations in mind?

Ideally, I would like it to be at St John and Church. There are law offices there that are very unattractive. It would be near Morgan Square and could potrentialy spur redevelopment into other sections of downtown. If it is located there, it would be a big draw in itself. It would only need to be a few screens (4 or 5) to make a profit I would think. I don't want a big megaplex like the Spartan 16 downtown. That would be extremely bad.

Another location could be along Kennedy St or in the Renaissance Park. West Main st could use it to try to bring that part of town up. Does anyone else have any other locations in mind?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spartanburg has a real gem in the old Carolina Theater located in the Montgomery Building. It was built in the 20's, during the golden age of theater construction. My hope is that someone will buy the building, renovate the floors for residential use, and refurbish the theater. I'm not that old but I remember when the Carolina had a big marque facing Church Street. I attended one movie there in the early 70's and recall that the auditorium was large and ornate.

I think the city is going to build a parking deck right behind the Montgomery Building. That would encourage a developer to investigate creative uses for the building. There has also been talk that the city might purchase the building for a new city hall.

I'm curious what everyone thinks about that.

I'm not sure if the Carolina theater can be used for the style we were talking about. Or at least what I was talking about.... the arena style seating like the Spartan 16 has.

The Mongtomery building would be an awsome city hall. The current one leaves alot to be desired. I hope they do it. They would make fantastic apartments too... so long as its not a Schuyler repeat.

I'm not sure if the Carolina theater can be used for the style we were talking about. Or at least what I was talking about.... the arena style seating like the Spartan 16 has.

The Mongtomery building would be an awsome city hall. The current one leaves alot to be desired. I hope they do it. They would make fantastic apartments too... so long as its not a Schuyler repeat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the Carolina could have the potential to be something similar to the Fox Theater in Atlanta or Detroit. Not quite as large but big enough for small concerts, musicals, etc. Not necessarily for movies.

I think everyone would agree the Montgomery Building is an icon and must be preserved. Whether for a city hall or apartments the building is a classic.

I believe the idea for city hall to be in the Montgomery building, was just a Clemson Architecture student's suggestion for a final project. Probably not a whole lot going to happen there. I think it would be ideal for upscale living, and restore the theatre and shops in the bottom. Put all the glass back, and make it more retail.

I also think the auditorium would be a great home for the littlde theatre. They're getting some new digs with the Arts Center, but I personally feel that the new facility would have made for a awesome symphony hall. Not as large as the Peace Center, but significant enough to hold concerts.

I'm pretty sure that Cleveland still owns the Montgomery, so be prepared for it to sit a while. There is a lot of big players in Spartanburg, but they sometimes don't like to play together. I believe that there are those waiting for Cleveland to go "belly-up" and then get his holdings for a steal. Probably good business sense, but the delays only slows down progress.

Edited by hub-city

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is an effort to build an UNDERGROUND multiplex in DT Greenville. Logistically, it seems difficult to me, but that is the supposeded plan.

I was in Sburg yesterday. The Sburg City Hall does leave a lot to be desired physically. It is an excellent example of uninspired '60's architecture. The city should do a public/private joint venture to be part of a larger office/mixed use project.

Can you explain what you mean by Schuyler repeat??

The Montgomery building would be a great apartment or condo project. It may be ahead of it's time though to do it now. It should definitely be saved.

I think the Carolina could have the potential to be something similar to the Fox Theater in Atlanta or Detroit.  Not quite as large but big enough for small concerts, musicals, etc.  Not necessarily for movies. 

I think everyone would agree the Montgomery Building is an icon and must be preserved.  Whether for a city hall or apartments the building is a classic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An excellent post that I agree with completely. A small performing theatre would be an awesome addition to DT Sburg. One thing about the Montgomery building that I don't like, is it seems to not stand out very much as you would expect a building of it's height to do. I think it's the all-white exterior color. Has it always been that way?

BTW, I loved the Palmetto fountain next to Morgan Square. Yesterday was the first time I noticed it. Sburg does need to be sure that offices don't overwhelm downtown. It may be time to start stressing more housing there.

I think it would be ideal for upscale living, and restore the theatre and shops in the bottom.  Put all the glass back, and make it more retail. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. They need to asjust the sidewalks though. They are not very condustive to pedestrian traffic at all.

Can you explain what you mean by Schuyler repeat??

The Schuyler Building, is an apartment building in downtown. A rather large one at that. It is my understanding that it used to be a fairly decent apartment building, but over the years it went down hill. It now houses alot of lower-income people. Not that this is a bad thing. But the building itself is very unattractive to me.

This is the only picture I have of it:

citySpartanburgSC03apartments.jpg

The Montgomery building would be a great apartment or condo project.  It may be ahead of it's time though to do it now.  It should definitely be saved.

An excellent post that I agree with completely.  A small performing theatre would be an awesome addition to DT Sburg.  One thing about the Montgomery building that I don't like, is it seems to not stand out very much as you would expect a building of it's height to do.  I think it's the all-white exterior color.  Has it always been that way?

BTW, I loved the Palmetto fountain next to Morgan Square.  Yesterday was the first time I noticed it.  Sburg does need to be sure that offices don't overwhelm downtown.  It may be time to start stressing more housing there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The "bay" windows that scale the buligind used to be a beautiful copper, and all of the windows used to be open on the ground floor. There were awnings that added alot to the building. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of that on the internet, and this is the only one I have:

citySpartanburg_NChurch_St.jpg

You can see the Montgomery Building in the center background with the copper sides. The awnings/canopies aren't there though. My point is that this buliding has seen better days.

I agree the the city needs to focus on housing more. It is slow in coming. I think that when Renaissance Park is completed that the city will move forward in that regard. That area is a massive hole in the fabric, if you will.

I think that while ESA is a great building, it didn't do a good job with creating more room for retail business. The first floor should have shop or restaurant spaces so that side of the Square is not just a showpiece. If I could buy the building I would gut the first floor and re work that landscaping along the front in order to have that.