Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

I came accross this at justicestudio.com

Cherokee Springs Village Spartanburg, South Carolina

The design for this residential/commercial development included 300 single-family, attached and detached houses; 350 apartments; 100,000 square feet of retail/office space; a hotel; a church; a charter school; community greenspace/parks; and a neighborhood center, with a library and community clubhouse/pool facility. As the prime design professional, Justice Design Studio provided programming, master planning, and cost estimating services on the project.

Cherokee%20Full.jpg

Anybody know anything about this?

Wow. I've never heard anything about this. I like it though. It would be nice to see this type of development in Spartanburg County.

Cherokee Springs isn't exactly on the beaten path, and it isn't in a booming part of town, so I question the motives for it there. I'd rather see it in the Boiling Springs area or closer to downtown.

-Cherokee Springs-

cherokeesprs.gif

What would everyone think about a theater located downtown? I know Greenville is talking about this... why can't we do it first? There are enough empty lots to where it could happen :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think a movie theater DT is a great idea, but several problems can occur that might doom it to failure. Charleston had one called the American Cinema Grill on upper King Street. This theater was part of the backdrop in the film "The Notebook".

Many problems have now made the theater merely a small auditorium for plays and comedians. Theaters, to be successful, need multi-screens, and ACG only had room for 2. Next, of course, was the lack of parking. People would have to park 3-5 blocks away from the theater if a popular film was playing. The theater was neatly renovated, but it didn't have state-of-the-art, surround-sound seating. It eventually was renovated with those innovations, but too much money had been spent, and movie-going interest there faded away.

If Spartanburg can overcome these problems with a properly built movie theater, it should be a successful one DT.

I think a movie theater DT is a great idea, but several problems can occur that might doom it to failure. Charleston had one called the American Cinema Grill on upper King Street. This theater was part of the backdrop in the film "The Notebook".

Many problems have now made the theater merely a small auditorium for plays and comedians. Theaters, to be successful, need multi-screens, and ACG only had room for 2. Next, of course, was the lack of parking. People would have to park 3-5 blocks away from the theater if a popular film was playing. The theater was neatly renovated, but it didn't have state-of-the-art, surround-sound seating. It eventually was renovated with those innovations, but too much money had been spent, and movie-going interest there faded away.

If Spartanburg can overcome these problems with a properly built movie theater, it should be a successful one DT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we could. Spartanburg has alot of empty space that could be used for a multi-screen complex, and the use of a parking garages would solve the parking problem. It doens't have to be 16 screens. 4 would be plenty. You just need enough to stagger the incoming and outgoing people.

That is not a part of the Morgan Square Plan, but it is my understanding that it is part of the larger DT planning process. Main St cannot sustain the increase in traffic volume it is going to recieve while still having the serpentine. Plus, it is largely proven that serpentines don't serve their designated pupose at all. I wish they would get rid of it soon after they finish Morgan Square. I believe that until they make that road straight, there won't be any substantial redevelopment on that part of Main st.

On a separate note- does anyone have the link to the discussion board at GoUpstate.com? I want to try to recruit some of those people here :)

Its not a huge development, but good news for the Marriott. The Starbucks is finally coming. I'm a little confused because it is going in the Club 299 space. It will be a great location, but I don't know if they are going to put the lounge as part of Dupre's or what. I guess the area they had designated for the Starbucks could become a small gift/sundries shop. They also announced a huge increase in occupancy this first quarter. In any case, I'm just happy to see more forward progress over there.

On the flip side. Cleveland lost the Boardwalk development. For those not familiar with downtown, that is the curved complex beside the Denny's tower in the photo. Cleveland also filed for Chapter 11 protection with the Montgomery building. Have to wait and see on that outcome. Great potential for renovation, but needs to be done right.

Did Club 299 go out of business? I thought they were doing great? I thought the Starbucks was going to go in that area where you come off of the elevators.

I think that Cleveland needs to cut his loses and regroup. Its obvious that he has more stuff he needs to pay than he has money coming in.

Anyone have any information about the contractor for the 601 East Main project or the Arboretum project in Spartanburg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not familiar with the Arboretum.

As for 601 E Main- this is all I know about the parties involved. If you are seriously interested you could probably get the info from the realtor.

• Pulliam Investment Co will be handling Marketing
  • Francie Little of Coldwell Banker Caine Realtors is handling the sales.

Did Club 299 go out of business? I thought they were doing great? I thought the Starbucks was going to go in that area where you come off of the elevators.

I think that Cleveland needs to cut his loses and regroup. Its obvious that he has more stuff he needs to pay than he has money coming in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I read the paper, and I figured this one out- Starbuck's coffees will be sold at Club 299. It won't be an actualy startbucks store, which suits me just fine.

does anyone have more info on the renovation of the theater in the bottom of the montgomery building?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be a great thing. I've been in the theater and it's is amazing. From what I could tell, it's mostly intact. The old curtains are hanging, the ceiling is in place, and most of the decoration is there. The exception is that some of the seats are missing where the hallway for the rear entrance cuts right through the middle of the theater.

The building was designed by Lockwood Greene back in the late 1920's. Legend has it that because the depression started just about the time the building was finished, the owners could not pay LG their fee. So a deal was struck to allow LG to rent space in the building for cheap. I don't know if this is true or not, but the story is a good one and LG has had offices there off and on since.

In fact, for a time while I was at LG, we occupied two floors in the Montgomery building because the headquarters building on I-26 was just slam full. The original drawings of the front elevation are framed and hanging in LG's offices. There used to be a marqee for the theater hanging over the right-hand-side front door. I think it had to be taken down when Church St. was widented years ago. I think it would be great if Church St. was moved over to allow the awnings and marquee to be reinstalled. I'm sure LG has all of the original architectural drawings for the building, so restoration information should be easy to come by.

Restoration would probably be expensive, expecially if it becomes residential. The elevators are wonky and the staircases are impossibly narrow. There's no way they would meet code today. Lots of work would be required, I'm sure.

As far as ownership of the building is concerned, I hear the bank owns it now.

This is from the SHJ (link below). There were many other items, but I think this is the biggest/best news.

A $35 million cultural facility at Renaissance Park took a giant step forward Monday night.

Spartanburg City Council adopted an ordinance allowing City Manager Mark Scott to enter a development agreement with The Arts Partnership of Greater Spartanburg.

The Arts Partnership is planning the facility, which will include a 500-seat theater, classrooms, dance studios and office space.

The agreement gives The Arts Partnership 5.3 acres at North Converse and St. John streets.

Construction is expected to begin by the end of the year.

Full Article

I am looking forward to seeing some design plans. The location they are using was to be used for an office building at one point. I am not sure what bas become of those plans. I think the city should put out a new design plan for Renaissance Park.

I'm rather excited about this development. It will be a great shot in the arm for the city, just as Greenville's theatres are for its downtown. Last Saturday I went to see one of the many sold-out performances by The South Carolina Children's Theatre. The quality was unbelievable! :thumbsup: They get big actors and actresses in from all over the country. The director was from NYC. :)

This is from the SHJ (link below). There were many other items, but I think this is the biggest/best news.

A $35 million cultural facility at Renaissance Park took a giant step forward Monday night.

Spartanburg City Council adopted an ordinance allowing City Manager Mark Scott to enter a development agreement with The Arts Partnership of Greater Spartanburg.

The Arts Partnership is planning the facility, which will include a 500-seat theater, classrooms, dance studios and office space.

The agreement gives The Arts Partnership 5.3 acres at North Converse and St. John streets.

Construction is expected to begin by the end of the year.

Full Article

I am looking forward to seeing some design plans. The location they are using was to be used for an office building at one point. I am not sure what bas become of those plans. I think the city should put out a new design plan for Renaissance Park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At one time, I heard that the city was going to approach the architect of the cultural arts center to redesign Renaissance Park, but haven't heard anything since. As for office space, there is still plenty of room on St. John for the buildings. The space that the arts center is using is the If It's Paper location, land that was originally scheduled for the golf course, and maybe one of the office locations. I'm not sure if Cleveland has any control over the other office space or not. Some of the land he owned, and some was in a land use agreement with the city. Sure would wish someone would clue us all in.

According to the SHJ, a developer is building a 72 unit apartment complex at USCS called College Pointe, which will cater to students. It is being built at Valley Falls Rd and Smith Cir. It is to be completed by August. They also want to construct a sidewalk to connect directly to the main part of campus.

Currently, Pine Gate is the only "off campus" apartment complex available. It is literally right next to campus though.

This summer, USC Upstate will do a major makeover to its other residential facility, University Commons, which is accross 176 from USCS. You can't walk to class from here.

Article

I think this is good if USCS is to continue to grow and be come a larger university.

I took the grand tour of Spartanburg today. I wish I had the foresight to bring my camera home. It would have been a great day for a photo tour. Anyway- I have some updates-

• First is on Viking Village (after the Spartanburg High School mascot)- a new 20,000-square-foot strip mall that is to be constructed on the empty lot infront of the Eastside Walmart.

• Dollar Tree will be the anchor tenant, occupying about half of the center's space.
    • First American Cash Advance
    • Other tenants may include a nail salon and an athletic shoe store.
    • Should be completed this fall

VikingVillage.jpg

Article from the SHJ

[*]The Exxon on S Pine and Glendalyn St has closed. I have decided that I don't like this. I used to get gas there a lot. Now the only gas station is the Shell on Converse St. Downtown needs another gas station somewhere.

[*]Morgan Square is a mess. It looks weird with just the base and no statue. The trees they took out makes everythign look weird too. I'm sure the new square will be fine. It will just take a while.

[*]There is some parking on Broad St now, but I found it confusing since the old lines are just blacked over- but still more visible than the white.

[*]There is a new Spot of Pride at the railroad bridge over St John St. It looks great! The paint and shrubs and everything make the thing looks presentable, and a much better gateway into downtown.

[*]The new shops at Hillcrest are coming along nicely. They look to be nearly finished with the exterior.

[*]The City Range near the Summit Point/ Westgate Point or whatever that area is called has been started. The foundation looks to be almost complete.

That's all I can think of for now. I wish I had my camera. This stuff woudl have been much more informative with some pics. Maybe next time.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the Exxon is going to rebuild down Pine Street toward Country Club Road. Rent just got to high in their previous location. There is also a BP behind Wofford on Pine Street across from the Beaumont Mill.

I also heard that spartanburg is getting a Kohl's in Franklin Square. While it is right outside the city across I-26, it will still be great to see the old Ingels and Goody's be torn down and a new development in their place. Hobby Lobby will love the company.

Oh it is. Infact, it is already there. They moved in to a former Exxon station that was in the same spot at S Pine & COuntry Club :)

I've never considered that BP as "downtown" though. Maybe its just me?

I thought Franklin Square is where Walkmart used to be? Hobby Lobby is there now. Either way, any re-use of these old boxes is great! Spartanburg has made an excellent effort with these in the past year or so.

On a separate development issue- I read in the paper than Hub City Coffee is putting another location downtown, but instead of a drive-thru only it will have a "cafe" deal where you can go inside and get a pastry or a muffin. They use beans from the Little River Roasting Company over on Marion St. Hub-City Coffee will be located at Church & St John at the site of a former bank. It looks like the location is where that tacky cash advance operation is (or was).

In addition, they are working on locating 3 other facilities around the county, one of which is in Boinling Springs.

I am glad to see a local coffee place open up downtown. I am also glad to see the cash advance place go away. I hate those things.

Here is the source article