Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

The new GSA Business has an article about a new Condo project for downtown Spartanburg next to converse college. IT is 13 high end units in a building of similar aritecture to the school. I had wanted to tell you guys about this months ago, but I really didn't ahve any details other than the land had been sold for a condo project.

I have heard a rumor that BMW North America may move is HQ to its Spartanburg County facility. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That rumor has been around for a long time. At one point BMW had optioned a very large tract of land on lake Blalock. People I know on the lake said there was enough local opposition to cause BMW to cancel the project.

It would make sense for BMW to be here. I mean, who wants to live in NJ? :)

I think that we really need to promote the ENTIRE Upstate and not put all our eggs in one basket. If that logic were followed then ICAR should have been placed over in Spartanburg county with BMW.

I pick fun at Greenville/Spartanburg relations, but yhere are those that are still stinging from Hubbell's decision to relocate in ICAR. Spartanburg is sometimes stereotyped as blue collar only, but I assure you the city and surrounding areas can support white collar jobs as well.

I'd like to see them locate downtown. What a great centerpiece tower BMW could make! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Maybe it could go diagonal to the new Marriot. The BMW HQ in downtown Spartanburg would create a cascading effect on the entire office market. I am certain that in a short period of time the BMW suppliers would fill all currently available space in the area, including:

BBT Building

Extended Stay Building

Montgomery Building

Downtown Office Condos

New Johnson Spec Offices on Main Street

It also would keep the Marriot full as well.

BB&T/Denny's Tower is full. Denny's occupies the whole thing except for about two floors that are occupied by some law firm. Last I heard Denny's had some other offices in the Broadwalk. The rumor was that they were being moved to the tower though.

Those other offices are definately in need of filling. I would very much like to see their space utilized and not have the Spartanburg market over saturated with office space.

I bet that the Marriott already gets alot of business from BMW. I hear that it is doing quite well, depite Mr. Cleveland's mismanagement of money.

I did not realize that the BBT/Dennys Building was fully leased. That is impressive.

I am glad to hear that the Marriot is doing well too. Many people that I know were concerned with the negative image and impact that would have been projected if it had floundered. By succeeding, it will continue to bring more investment into the downtown.

The office market in Spartanburg must be warming up, with the new spec office building that Johnson Development is building, even with the vacancies or shadow space of the other office buildings.

The new GSA Business has an article about a new Condo project for downtown Spartanburg next to converse college.  IT is 13 high end units in a building of similar aritecture to the school.  I had wanted to tell you guys about this months ago, but I really didn't ahve any details other than the land had been sold for a condo project.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Saw this in GSA Business......looks like a very nice development. Glad to see this kind of development catching on in Spartanburg!

I'd like to see them locate downtown. What a great centerpiece tower BMW could make! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would too. In downtown Greenville. :D That would make the most sense as Greenville is the center of the entire Upstate - and is also disputably the center of business in the entire State. How serious is this rumor? Just a local discussion, or is it national buzz?

Speaking of rumors, has anyone heard anyting about a grocery store chain moving their headquarters to Spartanburg?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not see Bi-Lo and Ingle's headquarters relocating anytime soon. Ingle's headquarters accompanies their distribution facility in Black Mountain. NC. Bi-Lo has a fairly nice facility in Mauldin, and ICAR will give it some boost. As for any grocery stores moving into the Spartanburg area, I am sure one may spring up at the old K-Mart near Pine Street. Bi-Lo and Publix currently do not have a store out that way.

The tower was just dreaming, and so long as its my dream, Sparkle City gets the tower ;) Greenville has enough tall things going up these days.

Realisticly, those damn efficient Germans would only bulid an HQ at their plant :( ... It was a serious rumor. But just becuase they are looking doesn't mean they will do it. However, like someone said before, it makes more sense to have their HQ at their ONLY manuifacturing facility in North America. It can go either way, but it seems like a plausible move.

Never heard baout a grocery store HQ moving in. I know that we have way to many grocery stores in Spartanburg though.

201 E. Main (right accross from Denny's tower) has the sidewalk blocked off, and the store boarded up like they are rennovating it. Anyone know what that is?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not a clue, and I also don't know what is happening in the old Celena's on the corner of Church and Main across from Wild Wings.

On some other notes:

The old k-mart on Garner is coming down!! Crews started demolition yesterday. Haven't seen any plans yet.

Johnson development didn't renew the lease on a finance company located in Morgan Square. I don't think it will be long to they announce a new retail/restaurant tenant there.

Some friends of mine were privy to the new drawings for the cultural arts center in Renaissance Park. I was out of town and missed it, but they say the plans are great. Can't wait for the arts people to share them with the public. I hope they don't wait until the November ground-breaking to unveil them.

Good to hear. I hope they will build somethign attractive on that site. It is in such a visible place.

I saw that they were moving out of that buildingh on Morgan Square. The artilce in the paper said that an upscale retailer was going to move in. Perhaps Ellis's Bistro will relocate there?

I would much rather see a mid-level retailer or a restaurant move in though.

The old k-mart on Garner is coming down!!  Crews started demolition yesterday.  Haven't seen any plans yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D:D:D

That is awesome. I know that area remains underserved by a supermarket. (The closest ones are Ingle's above 85 and the Bi-Lo on Asheville Highway.) Hopefully someone will build there.