Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

I went downtown on Tuesday and tried to get a look at Morgan Square's progress. I saw the city project manager when I was there and I talked with him about everything going on and tried to drop a few ideas by him. I was also reading the sign for the square. That place is going to be awesome when it's finished. I read that there's going to be 8 streams flowing into the fountain. I still can't really picture this but it sounds cool. I got a better look at the fountain itself too but I'm still wondering what the water will look like shooting up. Anyway everything looked really great.

That empty lot on 295 south of the intersection with Reidville Rd next to Young Offics supplies was recently sold for something like $700,000. I would expect to see something going up there soon. Probably a strip mall or a doctor's office complex. Hopefully it will be something quality.

I read tonight in the Spartanburg Journal that a new ladie's shoe store called 'Baehr Feet' will be opening on Kennedy St. towards the end of August. The Breezway Cafe has also reopened at Hillcrest Specialty row.

I also read some other interesting information about a group called 'Friends of Duncan Park' that are trying to save the ballpark and attract teams to use it. One of their ideas is to get teams from Northern states to use the park for spring training. They will receive $190,000 of hospitality tax money to repair public bathrooms, locker and shower facilities for players and to address safety issues.

I also read an article about the 'rails to trails' project and the HUb City Connector. The Hub City connector is a multi-use trail that runs north from the South Carolina School for the Deaf and Blind to the University of South Carolina Upstate. There is a 2.2 mile portion running from East Henry St. all the way to Country Club Rd, running parallel with Pine St, that is supposed to be paved with a 10-foot-wide path. There will also be information kiosks, the development of park like settings where the trail crosses streets, lighting will be installed, and benches will be placed over the entire length of the path. This section running through town will also be a part of the Palmetto trail.

I'm really excited about this trail. I think it will really add to the quality of life. I used to have to ride my bike down busy Pine Street if I wanted to ride to town, but this will be awesome.

I read tonight in the Spartanburg Journal that a new ladie's shoe store called 'Baehr Feet' will be opening on Kennedy St. towards the end of August.  The Breezway Cafe has also reopened at Hillcrest Specialty row.I also read some other interesting information about a group called 'Friends of Duncan Park' that are trying to save the ballpark and attract teams to use it.  One of their ideas is to get teams from Northern states to use the park for spring training.  They will receive $190,000 of hospitality tax money to repair public bathrooms, locker and shower facilities for players and to address safety issues.

I also read an article about the 'rails to trails' project and the HUb City Connector.  The Hub City connector is a multi-use trail that runs north from the South Carolina School for the Deaf and Blind to the University of South Carolina Upstate.  There is a 2.2 mile portion running from East Henry St. all the way to Country Club Rd, running parallel with Pine St, that is supposed to be paved with a 10-foot-wide path.  There will also be information kiosks, the development of park like settings where the trail crosses streets, lighting will be installed, and benches will be placed over the entire length of the path.  This section running through town will also be a part of the Palmetto trail.

I'm really excited about this trail.  I think it will really add to the quality of life.  I used to have to ride my bike down busy Pine Street if I wanted to ride to town, but this will be awesome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the idea of making use of Duncan Park. That is a commodity Spartanburg should take better care of, it being the oldest minor league ballpark in the entire Country. :)

The trail that runs parallel to S Pine is the old railroad bed. Right now it is just overgrown. The Hub City Connector is a great project... I'd like to see it move forward faster.

I hope that this group is able to get Duncan Park Stadium back up to its former glory. But I confess that I wish it were not in a residential area. There could be more potential there if commercial sites could be developed around it I think.

Oh, the Hub City Connector recieved $800,000 in Federal funding in the big Highway Bill that just passed, so I think we will see more activity with this soon :)

As for bike lanes, the BikeTown effort is pushing them, as well as making Spartanburg more bike friendly.

http://www.biketownspartanburg.org/index.php

I'm hearing that the empty lot on Broad street across from the Broadwalk building will be yet another Johnson Development multi story office building. Unfortunatly, multi story usually means 3. Still it might help bring some life into that Broadwalk area. I think a few minor adjustments to that complex would help greatly.

I'm also hearing that Johnson plans to break ground on the other building on Main in a couple of months. Don't know what the hold-up was. November could be a great month if, along with this building, Morgan Square is finished and the arts center breaks ground.

I'm also hearing rumors that Broad street at Richardson Park across from FBS may be closed. Main street would then be a straight shot and not have to merge back into itself at FBS. Those traveling Broad would have to turn L or R at Converse Street. (Denny's Headquarters) This may be the first step in making Main St. a 2 lane till Pine, or better yet, St John.

That is great news! I have been wanting them to close that section of Broad St for a while. I have probably mentioned that in another thread before. That Probably won't happen until they straigten the serpentine section of Main St. I wouldn't mind it if Broad St was extended 1 block to Dean St. There isn't anything in the way except a parking lot.

I agree though- 2 lanes to Pine is looking better now :)

About Johnson's building- will it be similar to the one 1 block down on Liberty & Main? I hope so. None of this parking lot BS is necessary Paricularly in that location next to the Kennedy St Garage.

I think 3 stories is planty for such a small site. More than 3 or 4 could be awkward.

Hopefully he will put space for ashop or two in the bottom of both of these buildings.

Any news on 300 E Main? That seems to be making no progress at all.

Also, does anyone know what is happening on Hayne St in Saxon? There is a weird circular track looking thing that has recently been paved.

Hello all. I'm new to posting but have been reading for sevral weeks now. I live on the Eastside- Hillcrest area to be exact. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what stores are going in near Wal-Mart and across from Walgreens on East Main. I was also curious as to whether there was any truth to the rumor that Target will be opening up a store on the Eastside as well? I would be thrilled.

Thanks!

Welcome to UrbanPlanet Apple7! We're glad to have you, and I hope you stick with us :)

The shopping strip you are referring too in front of Walmart is called "Viking Village" and the only store that I know about for sure is something like a Dollar Tree (or some other dollar store). But there are a couple of other spaces for stores.

The shops behind Walgreens and Hollywood Video are a mystery to me. They seem to be going up awful slow dont they? If anyone out there knows, please share :)

This is the first I have heard of a Target opening on the Eastside, but I hope it is true. I would love to go to a Target rather than Walmart. Anything is posisble in the new Easton Complex that they are slooooowly working on around the new Home Depot.

I did not realize that the BBT/Dennys Building was fully leased. That is impressive.

I am glad to hear that the Marriot is doing well too. Many people that I know were concerned with the negative image and impact that would have been projected if it had floundered. By succeeding, it will continue to bring more investment into the downtown.

The office market in Spartanburg must be warming up, with the new spec office building that Johnson Development is building, even with the vacancies or shadow space of the other office buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just an update/correction to this post. I previously stated the the Denny's Tower was full, but I was driving up Converse St and I noted the for lease sign on the bottom. I believe the tower is full EXCEPT for the bank area on the ground floor that used to house BB&T.

Apple, I dug back through this thread and I found out the other details about Viking Village for you:

First is on Viking Village (after the Spartanburg High School mascot)- a new 20,000-square-foot strip mall that is to be constructed on the empty lot infront of the Eastside Walmart.

Viking Village

• Dollar Tree will be the anchor tenant, occupying about half of the center's space.
  • First American Cash Advance
  • Other tenants may include a nail salon and an athletic shoe store.
  • Should be completed this fall
    VikingVillage.jpg

there will be a new coffee shop at the corner of main and church across the street from Sandellas. There is a sign on the side of the building facing Church St. and I think that it is called Crossroads Coffee Shop, I'm not positive though, I only got a quick glance while driving by. I'm not sure when it's supposed to open.

there will be a new coffee shop at the corner of main and church across the street from Sandellas.  There is a sign on the side of the building facing Church St. and I think that it is called Crossroads Coffee Shop, I'm not positive though, I only got a quick glance while driving by.  I'm not sure when it's supposed to open.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was the sign facing Church besides a small door? I'll have to walk by and look. I thought the main entrance was going to be a restaurant with the coffee shop downstairs off an entrance on Church. I'm not sure. The building is coming along nicely though.

The green stucco is weird to me. I would have rather seen the bricks painted green. But I am glad it is being redone. It will be nice to see people using that stretch of Main St for somehting other than parking.

Here are some pics from my phone:

coffeeplace.jpgMainChurch.jpg

You can see the greenish color that I am talkign about. It doesn't look bad at all. I just like bricks better. Oh and its not BEIGE stucco! :D

I think I read a sign that said something like Crossroads Coffee. Maybe someone can clear that up?

I haven't seen this mentioned yet so I will mention it...I have seen in the past couple weeks a sign across from the Westgate Crossing/Summit Pointe development advertising for retail/restaurant/office space...I wonder what might end up going there. Also, this is minor but a new Subway plus other mixed-use development is being built next to the Cracker Barrel on Fairforest Road...this should help boost business along the intersection of Bus. 85 and 26. If anyone knows anything else about both these developments please inform me.

Like I said in the other thread, I think we are getting a restaurant row setup over there. As those properties get annexed into the city it will be come more of an incentive for restaurants to build. Having 2 hotels nearby doesnt hurt either. Its looking more and more like Pelham. A California Dreamin would be awsome :)

Welcome sparkledude. I was under the impression that marble slab has agreed to come into the Summit Pointe development over at the Spartan 16, but construction hasn't started. they may not wait much longer. I know of one guy wanting to put a Jersey Mikes over there, but the asking lease was too much, so he went to Simpsonville. Of course, I'm still wanting ice-cream downtown.

Welcome sparkledude.  I was under the impression that marble slab has agreed to come into the Summit Pointe development over at the Spartan 16, but construction hasn't started.  they may not wait much longer.  I know of one guy wanting to put a Jersey Mikes over there, but the asking lease was too much, so he went to Simpsonville.  Of course, I'm still wanting ice-cream downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Marble Slab is still coming to Summit Pointe so far as I know. Scott Talley will own that one as well. I am not sure why they are taking so long with the construction there.

I am not as much of a fan of Coldstone, but any competition woudl be great. I know that if the located downtown I would rarely go to Marble Slab. Downtown ice cream seems like a no brainer to me.

Its not the first time someone asked to much for a lease around here. It seems to me that the smart thing to do would be to lower the lease price and st least make some money, rather than let it sit there empty for a year. But thats just me.

Don't know if it is related to the womens's clothing stores mentioned in the other thread, but they are starting to renovate the building on Liberty street between Main and Broad. i think it might have been called Liberty Square or something like that. It had an ugly wood siding and awnings. now they have stripped all of that off getting back down to brick. I'll try to walk by today and see what's going on.