Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for that update!

I noticed on my last trip home that much of the property at 29 & 85 has been cleared, and the Khols is making alot of progress. They have most of the walls up at this point :)

I am glad to know they paved the lot behing the montgomery building.

I heard at one time they were planning a parking garage back there.

Went by City Range this afternoon and it is almost ready. Landscaping is done and they were moving furniture in. Can't wait for a great steak and volcano.

By the way, I drove through Wesgate mall behind proffitts and it looks like they are doing some soil testing and some other markings (power etc...) on the pavement. Hope this means something may be coming.

I drove through downtown yesterday and it looks like the building across the street from Sandella's is really coming along nicely. It also looked like the International Cafe was was almost finished too. I wish that place would hurry up and finish. It looks really cool inside from what I can tell. It also looked like some renovations have begun on the old Gilbert's building. The new Mary Black Foundation building also looks like it's going to be an attractive building when it's finished. I hope that the road project mentioned will be narrowing Main to 2 lanes in between First Baptist and Pine and adding some nice side walks. Main street also looked really great in Morgan Square. If I had it my way I would like for our downtown to have a few squares that didn't have any roads through them at all. I would like it better if there wasn't any parking or through traffic in Morgan Square and some more retail on the other side. There's no way people would eliminate all that parking though. Too bad.

Went by City Range this afternoon and it is almost ready. Landscaping is done and they were moving furniture in. Can't wait for a great steak and volcano.

By the way, I drove through Wesgate mall behind proffitts and it looks like they are doing some soil testing and some other markings (power etc...) on the pavement. Hope this means something may be coming.

If you've never eaten at the one in Greenville, you'll be in for a treat. City Range is a great place for steak. :thumbsup:

GREAT NEWS The groundbreaking for the arts centers in Renaissance park is set for october 19. the design will be unveiled then and construction will begin in mid-November. Still a lot of grading already being done. We'll have to set up a construction thread.

Article

I can't wait to see the architectural design for the arts center! This will be a very important development for Spartanburg's future success. Nothing draws positive attention like the Arts these days. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I have had some confirmation that they are planning to narrow E Main to create large pedestrian friendly sidewalks and angled parking all the way through to Pine St. :)

Also, I meant to mention that I read in the paper a while back that Cleveland has some people that are interested in the DuPre House on Howard St.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess things are not as nice as I had thought. Cleveland could be in trouble if he can't pay the $200,000 land lease for the Renaissance property by the end of today. This would mean that the City could move to take him to Court for the money. I hope someone steps in and helps out. It would be a shame to let this thing go.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just driving through downtown today. I noticed that everthing is looking great, even with this rain. Johnson's building on E Main is coming along its up to 3 stories now. The Mary Black Foundation building next to 1st Pres is looking good as well.

They have added a light at Spring & Main St- but they are those cool ones that are on posts on either side of the road. These are the first ones in Spartanburg I think. I know there is one on Liberty St, but its just the one, so it doesnt count :)

Downtown, specifcally Morgan Square looks great. I'm looking forward to some new restaurants opening up, as well as Crossroads Coffee. I read on the sign a Crossroads that there are goign to be apartments above it. I am not sure if that is new news of not, but it was to me.

The possibility of the Montgomery Building be rennovated with the sotrefront arcade facing Church St being restored is extremely exciting. That would create a great connection between the Marriott and Morgan Square. They will have to widen those sidewalks some however. Maybe not as much as they did at Morgan Square, but a couple of feet at least.

Things could not possibly be looking better for downtown Spartanburg!

I also wish they could widen the sidewalks between the marriott and Morgan Square. They're pretty tight. If you're back downtown, stop by Cafe' Isha at thte corner of Main/Liberty for some coffee. it's not bad. Also, I noticed a sign at the restaurant space above Crossroads Coffee that something called the "Lime Leaf" has applied for a license to sell beer, so maybe there is something coming there pretty quick.