Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

The Palmetto Theater is exactly what that is. I didn't know it was 1300 seats though. The problem with that is that I think Authur Cleveland still owns it, and he has a tendancy to not get things done in a timely fasion. He did get the Marriot built, but it took 10 years. I hope it works out though. The Montgomery Building is such a cool structure. They need to rework the lower facade of it and the rear parking area too. If they made it more pedestrian friendly (windows) it could probably keep street level businesses there.

The luxury condo plan you are talking about fell through. Here is the rendering of those condos:

citySpartanburgSCrenparkCondos.jpg

I used to know where the image was that showed those two office bulidings you were mentioned. I know that Hubbel Lighting was considering building one of them, but they opted for the business park in Greenville. I am not aware of any other potential buyers, though I am sure there are always people looking at it. I'd like to see Johnson Development do something with it.

Those Spots of Pride are fantastic. I have never seen anything like that anywhere else. They reaelly make Spartanburg look great. My only complaint is that they locate the power boxes for the fountains int the most visible spot possible, which I find annoying.

i was disappointed to hear that hubbel lighting opted to move. i read about that in the herald-journal and how the city wasn't working with what they wanted to do so they left. hopefully someone else will build those buildings. it would be great if johnson development would. i really like all of the buildings he's been putting up and i look forward to the new one on main. that empty lot has been there for a while and hopefully that will extend the downtown area. i agree with what skyliner said about the architecture in spartanburg's downtown. it all seems to work together nicely and have a distinguished look. i especially enjoy the new QS-1 building. that would also be pretty sweet if all those lawyers would build a nice tall building to work together in.

Wow! I've been out of town and I come back to all kinds of Spartanburg discussion. Welcome to the forum eme. this probably belongs in the Spartanburg development forum, but you guys have a great discussion going so I'll just stay here.

The theatre in the montgomery building is actually the Carolina Theatre. It was originally called the Montgomery Theatre. I believe it does have around 1300 seats. It was built back in the days of segregation so it has a double balcony. The Palmetto Theatre facade was torn down about a year or so ago to build the new Johnson development building between Main and Dunbar street across from the downtown passenger station.

Speaking of Johnson - the new Main street building isn't going on the vacant lot that used to be the Bank of America building. That lot now belongs to the Catholic church, and I don't think that they are too interested in selling. Johnson is tearing down all those buildings beside the lot to put the new office building. Although some tenants had to be relocated the building is an eyesore and I'm glad to see it go.

By the way, the New Wild Wings cafe is open. haven't eaten there yet, but drove by and it is awesome to see people up on the second balcony eating and looking down on Morgan Square. If you go to eat, you should go up toward 1st Baptist and check out their new student center called "The Hangar" they have a real Nave plane hanging from the ceiling in a building designed to look like a hangar. Not many people realize that there is a building with a plane in it in downtown Spartanburg. Cool

By the way, the New Wild Wings cafe is open.  haven't eaten there yet, but drove by and it is awesome to see people up on the second balcony eating and looking down on Morgan Square.  If you go to eat, you should go up toward 1st Baptist and check out their new student center called "The Hangar"  they have a real Nave plane hanging from the ceiling in a building designed to look like a hangar.  Not many people realize that there is a building with a plane in it in downtown Spartanburg.  Cool

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome back!

Fantasitc news. I will have to go check it out. The Hangar is a cool place. They have almost any entertainment activity a kid could want.

Thanks for moving the thread over here spartan. I was out at If Its Paper today and there is a lot of surveying going on. they have a sign letting people know that they are moving because of the Renaissance park project - namely the arts center. Hopefully, we'll see some more dirt moving soon.

As far as the office buildings in Renaissance Park, Turner Construction was going to be located in one of them, but since they have had the financial problems with Arthur Cleveland, I think that has fallen through.

I don't know what the policy is for putting up websights, but there is an arhitect's websight that has a photo of the digital model of Renaissance park. it shows the office buildings, promenade road, parking, and the hotel in the background. The city is supposedly waiting to finalize the site for the arts center before they continue work on the road. I thought that the garage at Floyd's morturary was supposed to already be down, but its still standing.

1st baptist is where i grew up in church and still go when i'm in town. they didn't have that nice new building until after i graduated though. i go in there a lot when i'm at home and in the summer they have it open just about every night. that plane is really impressive hanging from the ceiling. the church wasn't aloud to buy it so i think that the city leases it to them for a peeny or something like that. where's the new clinic going to be located and are they still going to build the two office buildings in renaissance park even if they don't have someone to fill them already?

Went to Wild Wing... its a pretty good place. The wait was 3 hours last night, and about 45 for lunch today. This place is quite popular :) They have way tobmany TV's though. 12 on the first floor. Big ones. 5 projections and the rest appeared to be plasma. They have one that projects in reverse on to a white tinted section of glass to create a tv for the outside area. It is a sports bar though, so I guess TVs are expected right? :) Didn't get up top. Awsome restaurant though.

Went to Wild Wings for lunch the other day around 1:45 and still had to wait. They weren't being slow, just crowded. Loved It!!! I know it is new, but i feel it also shows how starved the downtown area is for a nightlife. Hopefully, other developers will see that and invest in downtown. right now most of them seem to think that they have to "bookend" their developments on the East and West side ommiting the middle of the city. I'm glad to see two Marble Slabs coming, but I'd spend more money at them if one was downtown.

also, another great picture in Sunday's paper showing another revitilization of a building downtown. its only a three story building, but at least its not going to be an eyesore.

I agree about the Marble Slabs. I bet one will locate downtown eventually. They need to have more restaurants than Sonny's outside of Morgan Square. That area on Ezell St and King St (I think that is the name.... very small streets- Java Jive used to be over there) Anyway, that area would be a good location for some mroe restaurants.

My one complaint about Wild Wings is that they removed the grand staircases and all that awsome old woodwork from the interior. I'm sure it was a fire hazard, but the Greenwald building was a beautiful one in its prime Im sure.

I didn't see that one in the paper. Is it the one at Church and St John that they took the stucco facade off of?

we do need a coffee shop in our downtown. i heard that the owner of sonny's might open one where jiva jive used to be. and something that would be even better than a marble slab downtown would be gellati maker. it's italian ice cream. ah, so good. Miyako sushi group is slightly outside of morgan square, but it's so close it could probably be included. does anyone know when they're going to begin the work on morgan square? there is also going to be a new bronze statue on the corner of main and pine in the shopping center with Ford's Drugs and Medical. it's going to be a peach tree on top of a box and it will stand around 10-15 feet total. the peaches on the tree will be painted like the apples are painted on that sculpture in front of blockbuster and converse cinema. they also need to build a nicer theater on the east side out at hillcrest. if i had lots of money, i would tear down the old carmike or better yet the old converse cinema and build a stadium seat theater. i think that spartanburg could support two theaters like that. anderson has two of them.

we do need a coffee shop in our downtown. i heard that the owner of sonny's might open one where jiva jive used to be. and something that would be even better than a marble slab downtown would be gellati maker. it's italian ice cream. ah, so good. Miyako sushi group is slightly outside of morgan square, but it's so close it could probably be included.

does anyone know when they're going to begin the work on morgan square?

there is also going to be a new bronze statue on the corner of main and pine in the shopping center with Ford's Drugs and Medical. it's going to be a peach tree on top of a box and it will stand around 10-15 feet total. the peaches on the tree will be painted like the apples are painted on that sculpture in front of  blockbuster and converse cinema.

they also need to build a nicer theater on the east side out at hillcrest. if i had lots of money, i would tear down the old carmike or better yet the old converse cinema and build a stadium seat theater. i think that spartanburg could support two theaters like that. anderson has two of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They should be starting work on Morgan Square in the next couple of weeks, and it will take 6 to 8 months. What is most exciting to me is that when they remove the Broad St connector road, there will be room for a new building downtown. I am interested to see what gets built there. I hope it will fit in with Morgan Square unlike ESA.

I agree with the theater thing. It deosn't even have to be a 16 screen complex. I would be satisfied with 8 screen, just with the arena seating. I believe one will get build eventually. Maybe at the new Easton area? I'd prefer to see it closer to town than that though.

The other thing we need at Hillcrest is an electronics store and a Barnes & Noble type store. Yeah Pic-a-book is there, but its not quite the same. I won't be satisfied until a trip to the westside is unnecessary, with the exception of a mall. We do not need another Hillcrest Mall.

The Petco and Office Depot will be great. I am not a fan of Pestmart.

Also, they should build a road that connects Walmart to Lowes behind the Lowes property so that some traffic can avoid using E. Main. Ideally it would go all the way to the Hillcrest Shopping Center, but that cematary would be a problem.

I agree about the Marble Slabs. I bet one will locate downtown eventually. They need to have more restaurants than Sonny's outside of Morgan Square. That area on Ezell St and King St (I think that is the name.... very small streets- Java Jive used to be over there) Anyway, that area would be a good location for some mroe restaurants.

My one complaint about Wild Wings is that they removed the grand staircases and all that awsome old woodwork from the interior. I'm sure it was a fire hazard, but the Greenwald building was a beautiful one in its prime Im sure.

I didn't see that one in the paper. Is it the one at Church and St John that they took the stucco facade off of?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The building is on Daniel Morgan diagonally across for the QS/1 building. The article and picture is still in the online business section of the Goupstate site. i don't know what is happening with the building on St. Johns/Church. Everythings kind-of stopped.

I can't remember the original layout of the Greenwald building. The staircase in Wild Wings is pretty awesome though. It is in the back, but huge.

There were two old stair cases that curved out and up to the top, like what you might find in an antebellum mansion. They were very attractive, but I suppose they weren't practical.

Is that building on the corner of Daniel Morgan and St John or is it near that matress company? I'm having trouble placing it.

Ok, there is an article in todays paper about this. These are the key paragraphs. I didn't know that was called the "Warrior Duck" building lol :lol: What a great name.

citySpartanburgSC_warriorduck.jpg

A $2.2 million renovation of an 18,000-square-foot former mattress company will also allow a larger company to lease up to an entire floor and have the opportunity to own the building's naming rights.

Rick Cobden of Cobden Properties Inc., Jeff Smith of Antrim Properties, and attorney Ken Darr are partnering to renovate and move into the Warrior Duck building at 104 N. Daniel Morgan Ave.

The first floor will feature 12 to 15 "executive office suites" averaging 600 square feet.

Cobden said the exposed wood rafters, beams and interior brick will be among the features maintained in the renovation. The exterior will keep the concept of historic downtown and mill architecture.

------

I think this will be a great rennovation. I have always disliked seeing boarded up windows there, even though it has been an active business. I am also glad to see Spartanburg catering to small businesses lke this.

I mentioned it, but I haven't done a separate post on it. It is going to be impressive when its done. I also don't read GSA Business very much :)

Here is the plan:

MorganSquare.jpg

• There will be 60 total parking spots (loss of 14). But that will be augmented by 16 spots on alternate streets. There are also two parking garages nearby.

• It will inclue 13-20ft sidewalks for outdoor seating.
  • A new mixed use building could be built in place of the Broad St bypass
  • Textured and at-grade brickwork will define much of the area.

The original (and much larger image can be found here.)

Any info you have from GSA Business would be greatly appreciated.