Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

The one directly across the street with the Cobden Realty sign out front. It would be a good place for a bar/restaurant as there is plenty of parking and could work in tandem with Hub Bub and the restaurant underneath. This is one of the only parts of downtown where there is plenty of parking not in decks.

• 3 weeks later...

Spartanburg County is going to get 10 Dunkin Donut locations around the county. The first is on Pine Street (you've probably seen the sign out front). It seems the second will be in Hillcrest across from the shopping center. There's no word on where the others will go, but I think its safe to say we'll see locations in Greer, Duncan, maybe a couple on the west side, one in Boiling Springs, and obviously several others.

Article

• 2 months later...

I haven't heard anything. My guess is something similar to the Holiday Inn Express, since there are several hotels of that type along Blackstock. Nothing that is being built on the west-size is even remotely walkable, so people would drive regardless.

The Greenville News is reporting that Spartanburg's Westgate Mall will be getting a Michelin store. The success of Greenville's "Michelin on Main", which is a different concept, has led the company to try an entirely retail store in a retail environment.

Here is the link to the article

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....D=2008806170344

Interesting. I'm glad to see Michelin taking an interest in Spartanburg. I wonder why don't they put it downtown? I realize we don't have the ped volumes of Greenville, but it seems to me that they'd want to invest in the future. (I predict Westgate will die or be nearly obsolete within 10 years).

Interesting. I'm glad to see Michelin taking an interest in Spartanburg. I wonder why don't they put it downtown? I realize we don't have the ped volumes of Greenville, but it seems to me that they'd want to invest in the future. (I predict Westgate will die or be nearly obsolete within 10 years).

It says they wanted to try their brand in a true 'retail setting', such as a mall. People will be there to shop, but will they shop at Michelin? Whereas in Greenville (much like a downtown Spartanburg location would be), the store itself is a destination. They've found out that as a unique destination the concept works. If downtown Spartanburg was the retail center for the area, then that would be the location. Who knows, maybe as Westgate either dies out or downtown Spartanburg increases its profile, we may see a location change to Sparkle City's urban core??

As long as I-26 continues to roll through Westgate's backyard, I do not see Westgate dying. It may slow down some but it will not die. I do not like to shop there at all but it does have several advantages with the big box stores. I mean do any of you see Best Buy or Costco coming downtown? Also the people from outlying areas such as Woodruff, Duncan/Lyman/Wellford, Landrum, and whoever lives on the westside will continue to shop there as that will be the closest retailers.

I think that in the long run, the suburban mall model will not last. I think the mall's location will always have a major retail destination component, but I think we're going to see a shift to something more along the likes of a mixed use urban-style "town center" model, very similar to Greenville's Magnolia development on the old Greenville Mall site.

It says they wanted to try their brand in a true 'retail setting', such as a mall. People will be there to shop, but will they shop at Michelin? Whereas in Greenville (much like a downtown Spartanburg location would be), the store itself is a destination. They've found out that as a unique destination the concept works. If downtown Spartanburg was the retail center for the area, then that would be the location. Who knows, maybe as Westgate either dies out or downtown Spartanburg increases its profile, we may see a location change to Sparkle City's urban core??

I hope it works out for them. My thought is that if they have a model that works, why not duplicate it? Downtown Spartanburg isn't a retail destination compared to Westgate Mall anymore than downtown Greenville is to Haywood Mall and Woodruff Rd- granted that downtown Greenville is more of a destination unto its own than downtown Spartanburg is at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Have any of you read this article regarding the County jail situation?

My gut reaction was that the cities in the county are already in the county, so they should not have to pay additional fees to house inmates, but the article mentions that there is already an agreement for the cities to pay the county for this service (they just dont do it), so IMO the city should pay up OR take a second option- come up with a new agreement. This article highlights one of the many "quirks" that Spartanburg has to iron out before it will be able to get past itself and make progress. Why does this arrangement have to be a political issue? I am supportive of taxes and fees that support of well run local government, but it appears that this is an instance where Spartanburg County is not well run. Perhaps this is part of the percieved crime problem?

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with Marie Brax (owner) today over at the new home of "Cheese & Wine" at LeBaron Plaza. She said that they were going to try and open today but it would be more like tomorrow or Thursday. They have taken the old LeBaron steakhouse and almost doubled the size to accommodate Cheese and Wine, Heavenly Ham, Yannis, and what looks to be a new martini bar called Verns (I can't wait to check this place out). Add all this to the Four Seasons and the coming Easton Place and its easy to see why the east side is starting to rock and is on the way up again.

I think that in the long run, the suburban mall model will not last. I think the mall's location will always have a major retail destination component, but I think we're going to see a shift to something more along the likes of a mixed use urban-style "town center" model, very similar to Greenville's Magnolia development on the old Greenville Mall site.

Sorry for the slow response. I disagree. Westgate Mall and Greenville Mall are two completely different animals. The Greenville Mall couldn't compete with the larger Haywood Mall... Westgate Mall doesn't really have a mall to compete with. The only way I see Westgate Mall failing is if someone builds a bigger, better mall nearby. I just don't see it happening, at least not in the next ten years.

I didn't mean that Westgate would fail in the same manner as Greenville Mall, only that the type of development that is replacing Greenville Mall is the new archetype for retail development. Westgate will hang on for a while (its still doing fine as far as I know). Ultimately I think the indoor mall concept will disappear. I just hope that the site itself redevelops rather than a new retail center be created across the street.

If so, I guess its good that the Sheriff's office is around the corner

Is there still part of the Sheriff's office in the old Sears building? I thought they all moved out to the facility on California Ave or to the old QS/1 building across from Flower's Bakery?

^ I thought that was just some offices. Was it the entire police department?

And yes, the plan is to leave it there and turn it into the CVB. I assume that the work will include some landscaping and parking spaces. IMO that part of Howard St is not as bad as the places closer to Una. Its right on the corner at Magnolia.

Can I vent quickly?

Monkey Joes (indoor kids place, next to Barnes and Noble) will be opening on Saturday. My kids love the one in Greenville, but I've got a bad feeling about the Spartanburg location.

First, they ran an article in a Feburary SHJ, stating that it would be open March 1st. Didn't happen. Then, they sent out an mass email in June saying they'd be open July 1. Didn't happen. Hopefully, this saturday will be the day.

But the thing that bothers me most is the signage above the store. After they removed the "Athlete's Foot" sign, there was a visable imprint of what used to be there. Did they pressure wash or repaint? Nope. They just slapped the Monkey Joe's sign right over it, so now you can send the imprint of the previous sign behind the current one. It looks like crap, and it would have taken a minimum of expense for them to fix. Not sure why some businesses don't go the extra mile.

Another thing.....the Greenville store has a nice 50" plasma TV set up in the adult area (free wifi and computer stations also). But do they get high def programing? NO. I don't get it......you're going to spring for a $1,500 HDTV, but you're not going to pay an extra $10 a month for high def content?

Ok.....just wanted to get that out.

Edited by clemsonfn

Can I vent quickly?

Monkey Joes (indoor kids place, next to Barnes and Noble) will be opening on Saturday. My kids love the one in Greenville, but I've got a bad feeling about the Spartanburg location.

First, they ran an article in a Feburary SHJ, stating that it would be open March 1st. Didn't happen. Then, they sent out an mass email in June saying they'd be open July 1. Didn't happen. Hopefully, this saturday will be the day.

But the thing that bothers me most is the signage above the store. After they removed the "Athlete's Foot" sign, there was a visable imprint of what used to be there. Did they pressure wash or repaint? Nope. They just slapped the Monkey Joe's sign right over it, so now you can send the imprint of the previous sign behind the current one. It looks like crap, and it would have taken a minimum of expense for them to fix. Not sure why some businesses don't go the extra mile.

Another thing.....the Greenville store has a nice 50" plasma TV set up in the adult area (free wifi and computer stations also). But do they get high def programing? NO. I don't get it......you're going to spring for a $1,500 HDTV, but you're not going to pay an extra $10 a month for high def content?

Ok.....just wanted to get that out.

I noticed the same imprint and it looks really bad...does anyone know what's going on behind the KFC on Camelot Drive? I was over there Saturday morning and the property was being cleared.