Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

I live there and will make one rebuttal, there are very few developments like this one in Spartanburg, much less Roebuck. Show me where you can buy a <$300,000 custom home in Spartanburg county (talking about Montgomery Lake which is a separate entity from the Gardens) that has a gate, lake, pavillion, pool, paved walking path and sidewalks. The failure so far hinges mostly on the developer. I am still optimistic that this will succeed once the current developer is gone.

This is an interesting article about what I see as an example of the failure of sprawl. The article does not discuss it that way, but I'm thinking about the big picture here.

The article is about Timm Creek, a new subdivision in Roebuck. For those unfamiliar with it, there are two sections: one is a large-lot "luxury" homes section, and the other is the less luxurious "Gardens" section. This suburban paradise has been developing since 2003, and for many years it was moving along just fine. I forgot that the neighborhood was supposed to be "mixed use" with retail and office space along 221. Anyway, you can get the more specific failures of these developers from the article if you're interested- and there are many.

I also didn't realize that the original owners of this development were tied into the Wild Wing Cafe too. There seems to be some shoddy deal making and bad money management going on. If you've been following the articles about their inability to pay their staff.

My interest in this piece is that I view this subdivision as a perfect case study on sprawl, and why it does not and will not work.

The subdivision- which looks like crap anyway because all of the houses look the basically same- is not selling its lots, and thus not being developed. The Herald-Journal paints the developer in a very bad light, which is fine. They chose, however, to ignore the economy. I view that issue as the main culprit here. The demand for uniform subdivided land and street after street of identical houses is falling off nationwide. There is absolutely nothing appealing about this subdivision that sets it apart from any other in Roebuck.

Except for the proximity to Dorman High School...

This neighborhood is "across the street" from the county's largest high school- but don't you dare try to walk to school kids, because its the most pedestrian unfriendly school in the history of school design. So much so that the National Safe Routes to School organization uses it as an example "worst in the nation" for school design. From the entrance of Timm Creek to the "senior campus" is about 1/2 mile walk with no pedestrian accommodations. To get to the "freshman academy" is 3/4 of a mile.

Even if the "mixed use" part of the development had been built, can any one guess what it would been? My money is a strip mall.

The worst part about it though, is that Spartanburg County's land development standards allow-- require-- things like this to happen. We have a large subdivision being built far, far away from any employment centers. We have a school that is so large you have to bus kids between its two campuses and the athletic fields. We can't walk or bike to anything, including nature (there are no public parks nearby, and incidentally the developer did not built the walking trails that they were supposed to). The one appealing feature of this development could be its proximity to the high school, except that you can probably drive to the nearest grocery store faster than you could drive to the main building on campus.

We need to require our county to develop more walkable neighborhoods, shopping centers, and mixed-use developments to avoid this horrible juxtaposition of land uses. There is no reason not to have a better organized development pattern. As a community we have to demand better things from OUR government. I hate to fall back on the Atlanta "scare tactic," but we're doing absolutely nothing to stop that from happening here in Spartanburg County.

So in summary, what we have here is the failure of a crappy subdivision, a crappy developer, and crappy land development standards in Spartanburg County. Hooray sprawl.

Herald Journal Article

• 2 weeks later...

A developer wants to put in a new subdivision on the westside... but part of his plan would be to connect Caldwell Dr to Reidville Rd. article.

This is an integral part of greating that grid that I have been talking about... this provdes another thru-connection for the westside. Haveing more options enables people to avoid congestion and relieve it at the same time. This plan isn't official yet, but it will be fantastic if it work out.

An update on this project...

The developer seems to have hit some hard times due to the economy, so the extension of Caldwell Dr has been delayed. The developer said its still going to happen though. The housing/apartment development itself seems to have run into some problems on its own but it sounds like its just temporary.

HJ Article

• 3 months later...

While driving I-585 towards town yesterday, I happened to notice that the old motel next to Steak and Spirits (formerly Steak and Ale) is being demolished. I can't even remember what this motel was originally called, but its sign most recently read "Campus Place" as it was near USC Upstate. I couldn't tell whether the demolition work was being done by a private firm or by a government entity, but I'll try to find out.

• 3 months later...

I remember reading something in the paper several years ago about them considering selling it. I guess I thought that had already happened. I hate to see them sell it off. All those trees probably help the air quality in the area.

Edited by Jael

My guess is that it would become apartments or some sort of townhomes/condos. Fortunately the City has zoning, and I think there are enough requirements to save a fair amount of tree canopy. I can't see it becoming SFR, though if it does that way I hope they connect to the two neighborhoods with stub streets into that tract. Maybe some commercial, but IMO that area's use for commercial is limited since it doesn't receive that much traffic and the main commercial interests are on Ezell Blvd and Reidville Rd.

• 3 months later...

Construction on the huge mixed-use development River Run, located on Reidville Road between I-26 and SC-290, has resumed after a nearly two-year hiatus. I drove by it last night and noticed workers and equipment. This morning's business section of the H-J had an article about project.

I was dreading the prospect of this development being abandoned and left for vandals and scavengers. To the developers (or creditors) credit the property has been well-secured since construction ceased.

• 4 months later...

Not sure exactly where to post this, but here we go.

Ground has been broken for the Tyger River Regional Park near Reidville. This is going to be a huge park with 13 baseball/softball fields for youth tournaments, a playground, walking paths, and a small amphitheater. This could make a big economic impact on the west side of Spartanburg County, and hopefully be a catalyst for development in the area.

HJ article

Tyger River Park website

Very nice, informative website. Apparently there will be live webcams posted on the website eventually, so people can watch the construction progress.

Not sure exactly where to post this, but here we go.

Ground has been broken for the Tyger River Regional Park near Reidville. This is going to be a huge park with 13 baseball/softball fields for youth tournaments, a playground, walking paths, and a small amphitheater. This could make a big economic impact on the west side of Spartanburg County, and hopefully be a catalyst for development in the area.

HJ article

Tyger River Park website

Very nice, informative website. Apparently there will be live webcams posted on the website eventually, so people can watch the construction progress.

From a grassroots level, how does one go about getting one of these built. We have needed one of these on the east side for almost ever as Hillbrook Field is small and ancient and the Pony League field at SHS doesn't exist anymore. My business partner is President of Hillbrook baseball and constantly wonders why the county refuses to do anything for the east side of town. Privately he says the county feels the east side has enough $$$ to take care of things on their own. If that were true, we would already have one over here.

Another point would be what about putting one of these downtown? There is one near the square in Laurens, SC (its pretty awesome) and the economical benefit is amazing. I am not saying it needs to be on 140 acres as the one in Reidville will be but even something the size of the 295 sports complex would be a step in the right direction. What so you think about dropping one of these over in Beaumont where the old mill used to be?

Another point would be what about putting one of these downtown? There is one near the square in Laurens, SC (its pretty awesome) and the economical benefit is amazing. I am not saying it needs to be on 140 acres as the one in Reidville will be but even something the size of the 295 sports complex would be a step in the right direction. What so you think about dropping one of these over in Beaumont where the old mill used to be?

• 1 month later...

BMW is changing up their visitor experiences. For $99.00 you can tour the Zentrum, visit the Heritage Museum, take a guided tour of the plant and then have a 2 hour driving experience at the performace track. I haven't even been to the Zentrum, but this really peaks my interest and I think will be an even bigger tourest dra for the Upstate.

ARTICLE

That sounds pretty cool. For $99, it seems like a good value for the experience you get (especially for the car/BMW enthusiast). I agree that it should be an increased tourist draw with this "all-inclusive" package.

As a side note, I've been wishing BMW would bring a presence to downtown (similar to Michelin on Main in Greenville).

• 8 months later...

Westgate Village, where the new Longhorn Steakhouse just opened, is getting another tenant moving from Westgate Crossing (behind WestGate Mall). Old Navy will be following Toys R Us to the resurgent shopping center. WestGate Crossing's owner (who also owns WestGate Mall) is looking to replace the departing stores soon.

Herald-Journal article

I'm amazed that there's enough space between the Longhorn and Dollar General for Old Navy. I guess their current store is too large. One concern I have with these relocations is lack of parking. Those are several large and popular stores (along with Longhorn), and the Rite Aid and Jack in the Box have taken up space since that shopping center was last full of tenants. Add in entering and exiting traffic to an already insane road/intersections, and you have a potential nightmare situation. I also hope WestGate Crossing can get some new tenants soon to replace these departing stores.

Another important aspect of this development is that it is a re-use of an existing shopping center. The City of Spartanburg is pretty good at not letting leapfrog development get too out of control like Highway 9 in Boiling Springs. The redevelopment of this place probably won't do much for traffic but hopefully it will be used as an example of re-use for other parts of town.

Westgate Village, where the new Longhorn Steakhouse just opened, is getting another tenant moving from Westgate Crossing (behind WestGate Mall). Old Navy will be following Toys R Us to the resurgent shopping center. WestGate Crossing's owner (who also owns WestGate Mall) is looking to replace the departing stores soon.

Herald-Journal article

I'm amazed that there's enough space between the Longhorn and Dollar General for Old Navy. I guess their current store is too large. One concern I have with these relocations is lack of parking. Those are several large and popular stores (along with Longhorn), and the Rite Aid and Jack in the Box have taken up space since that shopping center was last full of tenants. Add in entering and exiting traffic to an already insane road/intersections, and you have a potential nightmare situation. I also hope WestGate Crossing can get some new tenants soon to replace these departing stores.

I've heard that a large retailer, one that does not have a presence yet in South Carolina, will soon open in Westgate Crossing.

I've heard that a large retailer, one that does not have a presence yet in South Carolina, will soon open in Westgate Crossing.

A large retailer that does not have a presence in South Carolina? Can't be Bass Pro Shops then cause they have a store in Myrtle Beach. Cabela's, Gander Mountain, or Christmas Tree Shops maybe? :dontknow:

Edited by citylife

A large retailer that does not have a presence in South Carolina? Can't be Bass Pro Shops then cause they have a store in Myrtle Beach. Cabela's, Gander Mountain, or Christmas Tree Shops maybe? :dontknow:

None of the above. But I was wrong. I've discovered that the retailer heading to Westgate Crossing does have two locations in South Carolina but NONE in the upstate.

Is a retailer other than JoAnn Fabrics? There is already a sign saying they are moving there but I'm not sure if they count as big retailer although I wouldn't doubt them taking a decent section of that center. The last time I was in a JoAnns was in FL and it was a pretty large store. I can't remember exactly the size though- probably the size of the Michael's store over at Dorman? But there are only 2 other JoAnns in SC so maybe. I agree with the PP in regards to parking and traffic when Old Navy and TRU moves- that is a pretty small lot and I have always hated trying to get in and out of there.