Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

Someone mentioned a trolley coming to Spartanburg... whoever that was, you were right. SPARTA has introduced a trolley that will run a 15 minute loop through the center city. It iwll pass the Marriot, QS/1, Dennys Tower, ESA, etc. I don't have time now, but later I will scan the route map and post it here.

image002.jpg

Article

Speaking of Johnson - the new  Main street building isn't going on the vacant lot that used to be the Bank of America building.  That lot now belongs to the Catholic church, and I don't think that they are too interested in selling.  Johnson is tearing down all those buildings beside the lot to put the new office building.  Although some tenants had to be relocated the building is an eyesore and I'm glad to see it go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The new "East Main" Office building has just been put on hold indefintely. Not sure what the issue is there. Funding? Tenant back-out?

I learned that the Johnson building was put om hold because there is an AT&T (or some large phone company) that has some sort of hub beneath that brick building on Alabama and Main. So alot of wires need to be moved out, and that process would take something along the lines of 18 months. So this could still get built, it will just take longer to get done.

On another note, I have the map of the trolley's route:

SpbgTrolleyMap.jpg

I was eating downtown recently and I saw it go by. I see them every day in Cola, so the novelty factor is not much, but its just cool to know that Spartanburg now has a functional trolley:)

Just drove by the 300 East Main office site. It looks like they are going to go ahead an tear down the existing buildings even if the new building is on hold.

It seems that developers in Greenville do a better job with web-based concepts and proposals. You read about proposals in Spartanburg, but can't find sites for them. I can't even get the city to update the minutes of city council meeteings on their web site.

Any news on how the proposed Converse Place condos are being received. They are also doing a lot of site preperation over at Renaissance Park, but I can't seem to find an updated master plan. Any insights?

I havn't heard anything about any of those recently. I don't see how you can market a building in this day and age with out an online site.

It doesn't suprise me that Johnson is going ahead with his plans- though I'd much rather wait until the buildings can be removed at once and the construction can start. I'm not a fan of more empty lots downtown. Renaissance is bad enough. Come to think of it, there are quite a few empty lots (not even parking) in downtown. I wonder why Johnson (or anyone) isn't taking advantage of that?

Its frustrating that Spartanburg has so much potential and nobody is taking advantage of it.

I know that Johnson Development mentioned building some condo's on that empty lot on Main st near Morgan Square.... but I haven't heard anything about that lately.

I think it was a funding issue. I personally don't want it there. Spartanburg has nothing to do with racing, and I am not a fan of the designs (particularly the smoke stack). It will be a great office building by itself.

However, the Southern Conference is going to move in there soon. Not sure if there are any other tenants. Its been a while since I've read about it.

The Southern Conference has already moved in and seem to be quite happy. i hope other offices join them.

I believe that the SC althetic hall of Fame died due to lack of support from Columbia. The racing museum of the south didn't meet Jimmy Gibbs timetable on gathering enough funds for phase 1. He was going to donate the building to the museum, but they couldn't come up with the cash. I don't know if it is completely dead, but its close. I think that Gibbs is starting to put out feelers for others tenants. The renovation is very nice.

Spartanburg was more involved in racing than you may think. Some of the early pioneers such as David Pearson, Cotton Owens, Bud Moore, James Hylton were all located in Spartanburg. There is a Busch team still in town. Spartanburg was also one of the 1st choices to build the speedway that is now in Talladega,but the people fought it. However, even with that said, it would still be a stretch for the museum.

One thing I am not impressed with is the amount of space they are going to devote to parking in that complex. They have a diagram on the corner at N Pine and Isom. Its truely horrendous. I will admit that parking is better than the empty space that is there now, but not much.

I pulled info from this article. It is about Wild Wing's success, and its effect on downtown. Its nice to have "something to do." :)

Now, the more interesting notes:

• Of the 135-or-so living quarters downtown, Cobden Properties owns 114 of them. The company reports about 82 percent of them are occupied. (thats about 93 units).
  • Apartments planned above a now-empty shop just east of Wild Wing.
  • The planned Bijou International Food Market on East Main Street, also destined to have upstairs apartments.
  • Cobden's office sits on Morgan Square. The business soon will move to a renovated three-story building on Daniel Morgan Avenue.
  • And preliminary plans are being discussed for a third garage on Daniel Morgan Avenue behind the Montgomery Building.
  • And to 13 condominiums planned along East Main Street on downtown's edge.

I pulled info from this article. It is about Wild Wing's success, and its effect on downtown. Its nice to have "something to do." :)

Now, the more interesting notes:

• Apartments planned above a now-empty shop just east of Wild Wing.

• The planned Bijou International Food Market on East Main Street, also destined to have upstairs apartments.

• Of the 135-or-so living quarters downtown, Cobden Properties owns 114 of them. The company reports about 82 percent of them are occupied. (thats about 93 units).

• Cobden's office sits on Morgan Square. The business soon will move to a renovated three-story building on Daniel Morgan Avenue.

• And preliminary plans are being discussed for a third garage on Daniel Morgan Avenue behind the Montgomery Building.

• And to 13 condominiums planned along East Main Street on downtown's edge.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great things are happening in downtown Spartanburg! I still can't get over how much itr has changed in the past several years. :)

If the museum doesn't happen at the mill, then I believe that the parking won't be so huge. They have finished the current parking, and unless some new structures move in, I think they're done. Its a little deceiving, because the main entrance/facade doesn't face Pine Street. You have to drive around to what I would think of as the back to see the entrances to the offices and mill.

Also, now that the empty K-mart is being addressed, I hope to hear some redefined vision for the Renaissance Park project. They are moving and grading for the new fine arts center and road, but that's about all. Some have mentioned wanting a large water feature (lake whatever) that would have shops and condos surrounding. Could be cool to be able to walk out of the Marriott and down to some shops or over to the green space and ampitheater at Barnet park, but I don't have the millions to make it happen. Any other ideas? right now it seems to be a clean slate.

If the museum doesn't happen at the mill, then I believe that the parking won't be so huge.  They have finished the current parking, and unless some new structures move in, I think they're done.  Its a little deceiving, because the main entrance/facade doesn't face Pine Street.  You have to drive around to what I would think of as the back to see the entrances to the offices and mill.

Also, now that the empty K-mart is being addressed, I hope to hear some redefined vision for the Renaissance Park project.  They are moving and grading for the new fine arts center and road,  but that's about all.  Some have mentioned wanting a large water feature (lake whatever) that would have shops and condos surrounding.  Could be cool to be able to walk out of the Marriott and down to some shops or over to the green space and ampitheater at Barnet park, but I don't have the millions to make it happen.  Any other ideas? right now it seems to be a clean slate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that's an awesome idea! With such an emphasis on retaining beautiful architecture and adding a new fine arts center, I would love to see one of my dreams for Greenville happen, even if in Spartanburg. My vision is an international village built around either a river or small lake. :)

If the museum doesn't happen at the mill, then I believe that the parking won't be so huge.  They have finished the current parking, and unless some new structures move in, I think they're done.  Its a little deceiving, because the main entrance/facade doesn't face Pine Street.  You have to drive around to what I would think of as the back to see the entrances to the offices and mill.

Also, now that the empty K-mart is being addressed, I hope to hear some redefined vision for the Renaissance Park project.  They are moving and grading for the new fine arts center and road,  but that's about all.  Some have mentioned wanting a large water feature (lake whatever) that would have shops and condos surrounding.  Could be cool to be able to walk out of the Marriott and down to some shops or over to the green space and ampitheater at Barnet park, but I don't have the millions to make it happen.  Any other ideas? right now it seems to be a clean slate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But aren't there plans for more of those small office buildings like the one that is there?

The entrance from Beaumont Ave is cool. I like the view of the skyline from there :)

I am excited about the Kmart project. To me that will affect the entire north end of town. If they can successfully revitalize that shopping center, perhaps that area will be revitalized as alocal shopping area. They should fix up the Pinewood Shopping Center alittle... maybe add some trees or even minor landscaping so that it is not a sea of asphalt.

I haven't heard mention of a water feature before. That would be a very attractive and unique experience, so long as it connects to the Marriott and more importantly the rest of downtown. Forget the Reedy River! :P

I want to see the area connect to Liberty St and restore Liberty's connection to Daniel Morgan Ave. Doing that would encorage traffic flow, and still incorporate the area to the rest of the area, and potentially make Liberty St a corridor for shops and restaurants from Main St through to Daniel Morgan. Parking couldn't be an issue wince 1st Baptist has a failry large lot nearby, and they are planning the garage behind the Montgomery Building. I want to see Downtown flourish, but I also want there to be more than one place to go (Morgan Square).

The final design for Morgan Square is now up on the city's websight, if someone -Spartan - would like to post. I would, but I do good to get this posted.

The Renaissance thoughts are just mine and some friends. However, we don't really play a role in the decision making process. My hope would be for someone to read a post and say "We might could make that work" I know I'm dreaming, but it's fun.

Also, I don't really post much on the Greenville developments, but it is great to read and hear about all that is going on. I actually played for the grand opening of the Hyatt and can't believe the transformation that has taken place over the past twenty-something years. That gives me great hope for Spartanburg. The media likes to compare and put Greenvilee and Spartanburg as rivals, but I hope the citizens don't. They are both special and unique. Ok off my soapbox.

MorganSquare2005.jpg

I have not seen this before, and I have no problem posting it :) I can't say that I like it better than the old design. Some things are better. Greenspace is there, but not a square grassy thing. I can't stand this curved parking lot to the lower left of the image. Why on earth would they not want a building there. I can't read the words that are on it, but I hope they say something about it that we can learn later.

It is very annoying to me that people will not walk the extra half block to the Church St Garage. I absolutely can't grasp that- especially when they are willing to walk from the other end of a walmart parking lot or the mall and face that mess without a sidewalk!

I prefer the garage anyway. I park my car 3 blocks away in a garage here in Columbia. Its not a big deal.