Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

Is a retailer other than JoAnn Fabrics? There is already a sign saying they are moving there but I'm not sure if they count as big retailer although I wouldn't doubt them taking a decent section of that center. The last time I was in a JoAnns was in FL and it was a pretty large store. I can't remember exactly the size though- probably the size of the Michael's store over at Dorman? But there are only 2 other JoAnns in SC so maybe. I agree with the PP in regards to parking and traffic when Old Navy and TRU moves- that is a pretty small lot and I have always hated trying to get in and out of there.

It is Joann. I'm surprised the sign is up.

The sign has been up for a while- maybe before Christmas. If not prior to Christmas, right around the new year is when it went up. I can't remember exactly when I saw it. Also, in regards to that shopping plaza, a friend of mine just texted me and said that the Old Navy is empty over there. Weird.

JoAnn Fabrics is a good store. :thumbsup: Glad to see Spartanburg land it.

The sign has been up for a while- maybe before Christmas. If not prior to Christmas, right around the new year is when it went up. I can't remember exactly when I saw it. Also, in regards to that shopping plaza, a friend of mine just texted me and said that the Old Navy is empty over there. Weird.

Old Navy is moving or already has moved to the shopping center (Westgate Village) that houses the new Longhorn Steakhouse.

Edited by citylife

JoAnn Fabrics is a good store. :thumbsup: Glad to see Spartanburg land it.

Old Navy is moving or already has moved to the shopping center (Westgate Village) that houses the new Longhorn Steakhouse.

When I was over there yesterday, I saw an empty Old Navy at the old site and renovations at the new site that looked nowhere near ready to house a store. I was surprised that Old Navy would go any length of time without being open at one of the two locations.

• 2 weeks later...

Has Namaste (the Indian joint) closed down? The past couple of times I have been by it has no cars in the lot and is dark inside even on the weekends. I didn’t know if it was official yet or not. Not that it’s a huge loss but from New China to about Pizza Hut is an almost vacant part of the east side.

Has Namaste (the Indian joint) closed down? The past couple of times I have been by it has no cars in the lot and is dark inside even on the weekends. I didn’t know if it was official yet or not. Not that it’s a huge loss but from New China to about Pizza Hut is an almost vacant part of the east side.

I'm not sure about Namaste, but i do know that Blockbuster is closing the store at Coverse Plaza on March 4.

I'm surprised too that Old Navy would close prior to having the new site ready. This is the beginning of the spring clothing season- a lot of people are going to start looking for new clothes and it seems crazy to miss out on that. Perhaps they didn't have a choice, ie. their lease expired before they were ready for it but it seems like a bad business move. I buy a good bit of clothing for my kids there and do not look forward to trying to get in and out of that parking lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've not heard anything. For what it's worth, there have been rumors about redeveloping mills into upscale housing all across the county. I've heard of this in Glendale (before the mill burned), Inman, and Fingerville. Lyman would probably make more sense than any of them since there are tons of people already moving to the western portion of the county.

• 2 weeks later...

If the records exist, you'd have to find out who "owns" the street ROW. Specifically it could be City, County, or State. Then you would need to contact the appropriate agency- City of Spartanburg, Spartanburg County, or SCDOT to see if they even have the list. They probably do somewhere but it would likely take some digging.

If you are trying to get your street repaved, here's my advice. Residential streets tend to get less traffic and mostly light vehicles so resurfacing tends to be less frequent, and as such the time since the last resurfacing may not get you very far. If you think your street is in bad condition, do some research on "pavement condition ratings." DOT's use the PCR process to determine the condition of the street, and typically they will use that data as a way to prioritize which streets get resurfaced. It would be worth the hassle to speak their language on the subject. Things like potholes, "alligator" cracking, asphalt warping, etc can all be factors.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stewart Park had its grand reopening Saturday after a $1.63 million restoration.

Herald-Journal article (with pics)

I went there for the ceremony to check it out. The park is beautiful. There was a lot of excitement and positivity amongst residents of the Highland community. I really hope the park can help catalyze improvement in this neighborhood. I also liked Lewis Mills' vision of connecting the park and neighborhood to neighboring areas with a bridge over the creek and trails in the future, so the community is not so isolated.

7972064084_109d4a1af2_b.jpg

Wow that IS nice. I read that article but I had never heard of the park. After looking at the map I have to agree, that whole neighborhood is completely cut off from everything around it. Additional connections would be a huge asset for that neighborhood.

Did there appear to be a lack of trees in person? It looks like there are relatively few based on the picture. Shade trees are key for a successful park.

There are several mature trees just off to the left of my picture that people were sitting under (on several very large rocks). There are trees planted along the roads that will bring shade eventually. And there is a picnic shelter just beyond the playground. Oh, and there's also a small shade structure on the basketball court. So there are places with shade, though the majority of the park is an open, multipurpose field.

Edit: I forgot to mention: it was also announced that the park will have a community (vegetable) garden near the back. So that's cool, too.

Edited by westsider28