Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

• 2 months later...

In just its first year of operation, Tyger River Park has had a $17.6 million impact in Spartanburg County. Over 100,000 people visited the park this year, with 60,000 of them from outside of Greenville and Spartanburg counties. The only downside is that the park had an additional $5.8 million impact on Greenville County. But obviously, the investment was worthwhile.

Herald-Journal article

• 3 weeks later...

Westgate Pines, a 96-unit Class "C" apartment complex on the west-side (1480 WO Ezell Blvd), has been purchased for $2.4 million by CRE Strategy Opportunity Fund LLC.  They plan significant upgrades and improvements and will rename the complex "Park Square".  This kind of investment is good to see.

GSA Business article

• 3 weeks later...

The new Fresh Market will be opening on January 16.  The 19,000 sq ft store at 1200 E Main will have wider aisles and a larger selection of items.  They're going to have some giveaways (reusable bags, etc.) at the grand opening.  I'm looking forward to checking out the new store.

Herald-Journal article

• 1 month later...

Spartanburg County is moving toward purchasing the 40-acre Clifton Mill #2 site (w/4,000 ft of river frontage) for a park.  Environmental tests showed no contamination (which is something the county was worried about).  The park is planned to have green space, picnic areas, and a riverside beach with canoe and kayak launch.  The park is projected to cost $1.8 million, but there are several grant opportunities available, as well as a plan for private fundraising.

Herald-Journal article

While it's sad to see the old mill go, this park will be a great asset for that side of town, and especially the Clifton community.  There are also plans to eventually have a multi-use trail running along the Pacolet River, so this park should help with that effort as well.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if Union is considered "greater Spartanburg," but I think this development deserves mentioning, since there has been very little positive news in Union lately.  The city of Union is building a $4 million, 20,000 sq ft event center downtown (corner of N Pinckney and Sharpe, just off Main).  It will include a 350-seat auditorium.  More than half the cost has been funded so far, which includes donations from Lockhart Power and Timken.  Construction should start next year.

1366923034-Union-Center-Rendering.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to mention how the Converse Plaza shopping center (home to the new Fresh Market) is filling up with businesses!  In the last few months, a Spartanburg Regional Immediate Care Center and Pure Barre fitness studio have opened.  And coming soon (in the large anchor space in the back) is a Planet Fitness!  There's also a for-lease sign up for potential new construction between the Fresh Market and Gerhard's.

Just like Westgate Village on the westside, it looks like we've got another previously-nearly-abandoned shopping center being revitalized!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The SC Transportation Infrastructure Bank Board approved a widening project for 16 miles of I-85 in Spartanburg and Cherokee counties.  Construction is expected to start in about 2 years.  Great to see this moving forward.  This stretch of interstate is really dangerous right now (seems like there's a crash every day).  Widening can't happen soon enough.

GSA Business article

The SC Transportation Infrastructure Bank Board approved a widening project for 16 miles of I-85 in Spartanburg and Cherokee counties.  Construction is expected to start in about 2 years.  Great to see this moving forward.  This stretch of interstate is really dangerous right now (seems like there's a crash every day).  Widening can't happen soon enough.

GSA Business article

I haven't seen the plans but hope the project includes bridge and interchange improvements.  The geometry of the I-85 / SC-110 interchange is atrocious. 

• 2 weeks later...

More road improvement news.  The Spartanburg Area Transportation Study (SPATS) have gotten $200,000 in federal funds to study road improvements / widening for 3 miles of Country Club Road (Pine Street to Clifton-Glendale).  The road gets about 9,000 vehicles per day.  There will be a lot of public meetings to determine what the improvements will look like.  The plans could include widening (presumably from 2 to 3 lanes), adding a sidewalk and bike lanes, and possibly landscaped medians.  Partners for Active Living is pushing for an 8-foot wide, separated multi-use path.  If the project is pursued, the cost could be $12-15 million and could begin as early as next spring.

H-J article

This is an extremely important bike/pedestrian link.  Along with the planned downtown connector, a multi-use path along Country Club Road could essentially extend the Rail Trail all the way from downtown to Glendale.  That would be HUGE for Spartanburg, essentially making the Rail Trail more like the Swamp Rabbit Trail.  I really hope they do this right, as it has the potential to be an enormous asset for our area.

Country Club Road needs improving badly. The ditches between Pine St and Woodburn Rd are terrible, and this would probably give the Ben Avon community a little boost too.

What they don't tell you is that while the planning and community involvment portion of the work would begin next year, it takes several years to develop plans and get them to construction. Don't expect anythign on the ground for at least 2-3 years - assuming a project is approved and funded entirely).

I personally hope they can make these improvements. I've spend a lot of time driving on County Club Road and it really needs these improvements.

• 2 months later...

Spartanburg Housing Authority is planning an $8.4 million project to demolish Cammie Claggett Courts (in the Highland neighborhood behind the Beacon) and rebuild new, high-quality housing units.  Demolition could begin as early as March.  Residents are being moved out and given Section 8 vouchers to help them relocate.  New housing will be rebuilt on the same sites in phases, as funding allows.

I would expect the new units to be duplexes that look like single family homes, similar to how Toby Harwell and Collins Park on the Southside were redeveloped several years ago.  I'm glad this project is happening, and I hope this helps the Highland neighborhood move in a positive direction.

I found a project on a construction bid website at 210 West Blackstock (the old Hooters, across from the main Mall entrance) called "Shops at Blackstock".  They would demolish the existing building and build a new building (site plan PDF).  If the tenants shown in this rendering (PDF) are true, then the project would contain a Starbucks, Men's Warehouse (moving out of the mall?), and a Sleep Number store (new to Spartanburg).  Looks interesting.

I found a project on a construction bid website at 210 West Blackstock (the old Hooters, across from the main Mall entrance) called "Shops at Blackstock".  They would demolish the existing building and build a new building (site plan PDF).  If the tenants shown in this rendering (PDF) are true, then the project would contain a Starbucks, Men's Warehouse (moving out of the mall?), and a Sleep Number store (new to Spartanburg).  Looks interesting.

Good find!! This is a nice looking project that should do well. Another empty space getting filled is a good sign and hopefully, more will happen to get more quality tenants in the Westgate area.

• 2 months later...

Cedar Springs is getting a Walmart Neighborhood Market (H-J article).  It will be new construction on the southeast corner of Southport and Cedar Springs Roads (behind McDonalds).  The article mentions them needing City rezoning approval for a currently-residential parcel that would be a gas station.  The main site for the store is not in the City, but I wonder if it would have to be annexed due to that new water service agreement?  I'll e-mail someone with the City next week and ask.

I really wish Walmart would have used the vacant Food Lion location instead of building new (the Greer and Greenville stores are both remodels, I believe).  I guess those who live in the area will appreciate another grocery option.

• 2 months later...

While driving down East Main, I noticed that the (really ugly) apartments between the Fresh Market shopping center and Lawson's Fork Creek appeared to be undergoing massive renovations.  Anyone know more about this?  I haven't seen any articles about it.  Those apartments desperately needed renovations, so this is good to see.

• 3 weeks later...

This may belong in the Northside Developments forum, but Funtasia will come back as Fantasy Island this November.  The previous owners Clyde and Melody McFadden closed the doors on the then-named Blessed Fun at Funtasia earlier this year after 10 years.

Edited by cec0605

• 1 month later...

This may belong in the Northside Developments forum, but Funtasia will come back as Fantasy Island this November.  The previous owners Clyde and Melody McFadden closed the doors on the then-named Blessed Fun at Funtasia earlier this year after 10 years.

Since my last post, it looks like the former Funtasia exterior got a new coat of paint.

IMG_1630_zps354f066c.jpg

• Like 1