Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

So County Council seems to have adopted a 'vision,' which I assume is a prelude to the comprehensive plan update, which is about 7-8 years late. This is... let's say less than visionary.

"

Spartanburg County Council's Vision

Vision: Spartanburg County’s vision is to be a preferred destination for individuals, families and businesses to live, learn, play and invest.
Mission: Spartanburg County provides a foundation for a superior quality of life for residents, unlimited opportunities for business, and an exceptional learning environment for education through purposeful planning, investment, and use of resources.
Values: Inclusion, accountability, collaboration, communication, servant leadership and continuous improvement.
Goals: sustainable economic development that benefits the businesses and citizens of Spartanburg County, capitalize on natural resources and tourism opportunities, remain prudent stewards of financial resources in the provision of quality public services, and commit to the implementation of this plan and realization of this inclusive vision"

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20140929/ARTICLES/140929591/1083/ARTICLES?Title=Spartanburg-County-Council-adopts-new-vision-and-plan

Evidently NCG Cinemas is locating in the old Carmike location at Hillcrest. They are holding a job fair there October 17 and 18. That is good news for Hillcrest and eastside Spartanburg.

Yup! We've been talking about it on Nextdoor for about a week. One of our members stopped and asked the workmen what was up when we noticed that they had made a lot of progress gutting it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice news on the old Funtasia site. That place was awful! Outdated arcade with broken games that had God stickers all over them, peeling carpet, overpriced concessions, expensive attractions. I'm actually pretty happy that place closed. The owners were alright, but they didn't know how to operate an amusement park.

Sorry to spoil everyone, but I have received word from one of the owners of the new "Fantasy Island"; they are planning on turning the old party room into a laser tag arena, installing new carpeting and tile all over the arcade, and new games ("Yes! Yes!" in the voice of M. Bison). 

Speaking of which, any idea of what games are going to stay from the old Funtasia and what new games are coming in? If you have news about that, let me know!

Edited by JustSaiyanPaul

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this, but the new California Avenue bridge over I-585 is really coming along.  They now have the deck supports going all the way across.  It also looked like they were prepping the ramp off Northbound 585 to Cal Ave for paving (it appears they're eliminating the frontage road from Cal Ave to Creekside Dr near Hwy-9).  But the really cool thing I noticed was that the concrete at the top of the center columns has the City logo "S" embossed on them.  That's a nice touch to make the bridge an attractive gateway into the City.

post-24605-0-21666900-1415229147_thumb.j post-24605-0-36800500-1415229162_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Several miscellaneous updates - NCG Cinemas opened last night at Hillcrest and appears to be pretty awesome.  They've got $8 tickets, reclining seats w/footrests, and unlimited-refill drinks and popcorn.  I might have to make the drive to catch a movie there!

There was a blurb in the TBA section of Upstate Business Journal that said that Conn's (just opened in G'ville) is coming to Spartanburg's Peachwood Shopping Center.  I never noticed before, but there is a vacant space to the left of Academy Sports, which must be where they're going.

As of a few weeks ago, major site clearance and grading was going on for the Walmart Neighborhood Market in the Cedar Springs area.

No movement on the Texas Roadhouse supposedly coming across from Powell Mill Road.

There's some new construction on this site along WO Ezell.  I checked GIS and it looks like a used car dealership.  Wish they could've renovated one of the many nearby abandoned buildings/sites instead. That stretch of WO Ezell / West Main near Baltimore St--a major DT gateway--is absolutely horrid-looking in general.

• 3 weeks later...

A few updates: That building on WO Ezell looks better than I expected.  Mostly brick with tan stucco on the top front.

The blue & red stripe on the left part of Academy's building has been removed, so the above prediction seems likely.

Site plans are up for the Walmart Neighborhood Market in Cedar Springs.  Not exactly the orientation I expected, but otherwise looks fine for what it is.

Site plans are also up for the Texas Roadhouse.  I'm glad they're extending the sidewalk there.  The left turn lane on WO Ezell will unfortunately take out some nice landscaping, as I expected.  They've been moving some dirt out there recently.

It might go where American Fastprint (Viking Warehouses) used to be on 85 business right before Bryant Rd as that obsolete facility was just purchased by developers several months ago.

That would be nice as AFP is becoming quite dilapidated.   However, the article alluded to the location as being north of I-85.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, looks like the new building on WO Ezell that I mentioned earlier is actually a Dollar General.  I guess that's a good location for a place like that, though there are unfortunately no sidewalks there.  The building looks relatively good for a DG. 

Disappointed that it has a pole-sign out front.  The City should really look into strengthening sign ordinances.  There seems to be a height limit, but I'd like to see an even shorter height limit and a requirement for monument-type signs.  I love how much nicer places with strict sign ordinances look (like Mount Pleasant and myriad others).

Well, looks like the new building on WO Ezell that I mentioned earlier is actually a Dollar General.  I guess that's a good location for a place like that, though there are unfortunately no sidewalks there.  The building looks relatively good for a DG. 

Disappointed that it has a pole-sign out front.  The City should really look into strengthening sign ordinances.  There seems to be a height limit, but I'd like to see an even shorter height limit and a requirement for monument-type signs.  I love how much nicer places with strict sign ordinances look (like Mount Pleasant and myriad others).

I communicated to my city council member about a stricter sign ordinance. Unfortunately, Cate Ryba is leaving. Even places like Rock Hill have a 'better' restriction on signs. My big beef was the QT on West Main near downtown.   

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The Texas Roadhouse on WO Ezell is coming along well.

post-24605-0-95755700-1432229507_thumb.j

Also, I noticed a new sign at the Founders Federal Credit Union ATM on Reidville Rd next to Outback Steakhouse (where the old Putt-Putt used to be).  After all these years, FFCU is finally building a branch / regional HQ at the site.  It's supposed to open in Spring 2016.

post-24605-0-48153400-1432229506_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Groundbreaking for Highland Crossing was today.  The 72 units of low-income housing will be at the corner of Highland & Henry and replace 40 units of Cammie Clagett housing north of Daniel Morgan Ave (which will be demolished).  Interesting to see a more dense, semi-urban approach versus the more single-family / duplex approach in other redeveloped public housing areas. (wish there was a site plan to show the exact set-up)  Construction should be complete in 12-14 months.  There are no plans yet for the buildings south of Daniel Morgan Ave.

2055.jpg

In other Highland news, the activity center at Stewart Park is nearing completion. Also, the article mentioned that the neighborhood has applied for grant funding to further improve the area.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I saw a public notice in the paper this morning for an upcoming city planning commission meeting that could have a big impact on the Camelot Drive area.  Developers are asking for a rezoning of the large forested lot (as seen here on Google Maps) between the shopping center on Reidville Rd and the Camelot neighborhood, so they can build a 72-unit townhome development called Camelot Townes. 

I hope it's approved; it seems like a reasonable transition from shopping center to SFHs.  This would also bring a lot of new residents into the City and help boost population numbers (& tax base).  I hope some road & sidewalk connections are made too, because there are several destinations within walking distance (movie theater, Bruster's, Outback, Dollar General).

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2016 at 6:26 PM, westsider28 said:

I saw a public notice in the paper this morning for an upcoming city planning commission meeting that could have a big impact on the Camelot Drive area.  Developers are asking for a rezoning of the large forested lot (as seen here on Google Maps) between the shopping center on Reidville Rd and the Camelot neighborhood, so they can build a 72-unit townhome development called Camelot Townes. 

I hope it's approved; it seems like a reasonable transition from shopping center to SFHs.  This would also bring a lot of new residents into the City and help boost population numbers (& tax base).  I hope some road & sidewalk connections are made too, because there are several destinations within walking distance (movie theater, Bruster's, Outback, Dollar General).

City Council approved the ordinance at first reading tonight.  Unanimously.  Those zoning changes always make me hold my breath because it's always a chance for neighbors to take a swipe at what a property owner plans to do.  So looks like it'll happen.  

• 4 months later...