Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

Interesting.  Also, the mention that 57 acres are in the city and the rest are not is worth noting.  I suspect that under the water agreement, the whole development would potentially come into the city because it would involve new water infrastructure for the whole thing, in an area contiguous to the city.  

The city recently adopted new land development regulations for subdivisions within the city because the existing regulations were perhaps a bit dated, and I think the new ones should give a more urban feel to any new city developments.  Requiring sidewalks and the like, for example.  

It might be that the city could let the development happen under county regulations, which does sometimes happen, but this could be quite a boost to the city's population and tax base, but would also require a lot more services on that end of the city.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2018 at 9:16 PM, westsider28 said:

Bummer.  What exactly does R-6 allow?  Multi-family?  Any limit on number of units?

It depends on what is allowed per the zoning code. In Spartanburg, Beaumont and South Converse are examples of neighborhoods that are R-6, as is the area around the parcel in question. What's weird is that it looks like the zoning for that parcel is already R-6, unless the map is wrong.

Generally speaking this will probably be more small lot housing. Not much to get excited about, but hopefully they do a good job and bring more people into the city.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@westsider28- you asked about the land development regulations a couple weeks ago.  I found these - it's actually the October planning commission packet, but the sign ordinance draft and the residential land development regulations are in it - this is a draft, and a few things may have changed slightly - I know the planning commission made a change about mid-block crosswalks in one place, requiring them if the blocks are longer than 1000 feet...  

Planning Commission Packet Oct 2017.pdf

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

Rumor has it that Golden Chick (a fast food chicken joint) is building a location near the East Side Lowes, right next to the soon to be IHOP. 
Can anyone confirm? They are certainly building something there, they've torn up the parking lot and have dropped in a construction trailer. 

Never heard of that establishment, but a quick Loopnet search reveals that you're correct.  See the map from this listing for East Main Centre.

emaincenter.thumb.jpg.8c041b7fa14253df1307e27e5c1ead91.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I saw something in the paper about a LIHTC (Low-Income Housing Tax Credit) project called Parkside at Drayton, so I did some digging.  It's affordable senior apartments; 41 units in a 3-story building behind the Hillcrest Walgreens at the corner of Drayton Road and Fernwood Drive (L-shaped parcel next to Old Charlotte cul-de-sac here).  Not hugely exciting, but decent height there and certainly a good thing for those who need that type of housing.  Here's a PDF with tons of info from SC Housing.  And here's the preliminary site plan:

pad.JPG.54d3ba0d1915f68cf5ed4034c0321441.JPG

There's actually another affordable housing apartment project I saw on that website (The Regency at Blackstock) under construction behind Academy Sports on the west side.  I had seen the construction and wondered what it was for.  Now I know.

Oh and the 3rd project in the county is Bowen Station near Boiling Springs High School.  Just as residents feared: low-income housing coming to Boiling Springs! Noooo! (lol)

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

Has anyone heard anything more about Converse Mill? Is that project dead, did the buyers pull out?

Nothing about the Converse Mill but the conversion of the Inman Mill is coming along.  Lots of workers and equipment and signs of progress. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2017 at 8:45 PM, westsider28 said:

Not the greatest looking things in the world.  I wish the City would require the garages / all the parking in the back.  Especially since the developers say they have "plenty of parking, actually more than we need."  At the very least, make the sidewalk level and make the driveways bump up.  All those curb cuts are awful for pedestrians.

C2pH_VbXgAAcCJg.jpg:large

The lot where this small development was planned is still vacant on Avant Street; one block from Converse College.  There is a new  rezoning request for most  of the  entire block from the Marathon  Gas  Station  on  East Main to Garrett  Street; including  a number of lots on Oakwood Avenue. The request is from Ray Billings , J.  Hiltabiddle Construction to change the zoning to R-6 POD s.     They plan on building  a townhome  development.  Not sure if this is the same group who planned the  original units.