Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

On 1/20/2017 at 8:45 PM, westsider28 said:

Not the greatest looking things in the world.  I wish the City would require the garages / all the parking in the back.  Especially since the developers say they have "plenty of parking, actually more than we need."  At the very least, make the sidewalk level and make the driveways bump up.  All those curb cuts are awful for pedestrians.

C2pH_VbXgAAcCJg.jpg:large

1 hour ago, drexel said:

The lot where this small development was planned is still vacant on Avant Street; one block from Converse College.  There is a new  rezoning request for most  of the  entire block from the Marathon  Gas  Station  on  East Main to Garrett  Street; including  a number of lots on Oakwood Avenue. The request is from Ray Billings , J.  Hiltabiddle Construction to change the zoning to R-6 POD s.     They plan on building  a townhome  development.  Not sure if this is the same group who planned the  original units.  

The old article mentions Ray Billings, so this appears to be the same group.  If they redevelop the whole block, that would be a dramatic change the likes of which we haven't yet seen in Spartanburg.  It will be interesting to see the plan.  I only hope that they will now use the existing alley and put the garages in the rear.  That would greatly improve the look and pedestrian friendliness.  And they'd better save most of the mature trees, too.

(Edit - Quoted posts for context b/c of new page)

Edited by westsider28

The I-85 rehab project will be complete April 26, 2019 according to the SCDOT website.

https://scdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=ca1cd69fc88945f4bb465e16765d761c

The I-85 widening project will last until 2021/2022 (for the portion between Spartanburg and the Broad River). Phase III (from the Broad River to the state line) will last a few years longer. NCDOT is also lining up funding for widening their side in the future, which will be even more construction along that stretch of road.

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2018 at 10:32 AM, Spartan said:

The I-85 rehab project will be complete April 26, 2019 according to the SCDOT website.

https://scdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=ca1cd69fc88945f4bb465e16765d761c

The I-85 widening project will last until 2021/2022 (for the portion between Spartanburg and the Broad River). Phase III (from the Broad River to the state line) will last a few years longer. NCDOT is also lining up funding for widening their side in the future, which will be even more construction along that stretch of road.

As somebody who travels the stretch between Spartanburg and Blacksburg almost every day, this is a nightmare.  They could not have done a worse job of lane-shifting if they tried.   Good thing I know most of the alternative routes to where I need to go - this project, while wayyyy overdue, is a disaster.

Following up on the nearly full-block townhouse development (Avant/Garrett/Oakwood): I went to the Planning Commission meeting, which was just a public hearing; the vote to approve is next month.  The site plan is below.  This is very dense!  66 units on 3.1 acres.  Though they may lose a few if they need a stormwater retention area (they're still studying that).  The townhouses will aparently all be 3-bedroom (developer mentioned the rarity of that in the area).  They will initially be rentals, with plans to sell them in the future.  The few public comments were concerned about traffic, but supportive of the project.

IMG_0528.thumb.JPG.c86110f172c65c5dcb486985b0207edc.JPG

I like the density, but I think all of those driveways is a mistake. It's going to ruin the character of that neighborhood. They should use alleys to access garages on the reverse side of the buildings, and let the front doors open up on to the sidewalk.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spartan said:

I like the density, but I think all of those driveways is a mistake. It's going to ruin the character of that neighborhood. They should use alleys to access garages on the reverse side of the buildings, and let the front doors open up on to the sidewalk.

That would be much better indeed!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Heard rumor from two different sources.  The corner of East Main and  Pine Street  is going to be redeveloped.  That the Village Inn and Town Square building  will be demolished. Has anyone else heard something?  Maybe Mellow Mushroom  would  consider-relocating  to the old Wild Ace pizza  spot. (historic C&S building).  Or move across the street to  new United Community Bank building.  

• Like 2

On 7/21/2018 at 3:49 PM, drexel said:

Heard rumor from two different sources.  The corner of East Main and  Pine Street  is going to be redeveloped.  That the Village Inn and Town Square building  will be demolished. Has anyone else heard something?  Maybe Mellow Mushroom  would  consider-relocating  to the old Wild Ace pizza  spot. (historic C&S building).  Or move across the street to  new United Community Bank building.  

Haven't heard, but that would be absolutely fantastic!!!

From WSPA today: https://www.wspa.com/news/spartanburg-leaders-move-forward-with-housing-development-plan/1319699687 
Discussion about building  24 homes on land behind Barnet Park. With a price tag starting at $275,000. With at least four homes will be sold at a maximum of $195,000.
To me this is great and the price points are right on. I'd even like to see them a bit higher!

On 7/25/2018 at 8:27 PM, Historyguy said:

I don't quite know where to put this - so we'll just call it a Greater Spartanburg development - 

City Manager Ed Memmott announces his retirement - certainly a big story for us local government wonks.  

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180725/spice-amp-tea-exchange-opens-thursday-in-downtown-spartanburg

Discuss this here: https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/16080-spartanburg-off-topic/?page=15&tab=comments#comment-1539546

I just feel Todd is the guy to help Spartanburg take the next step. The guy is a Vice President for Clayton Construction. Ren Clayton told me that since he brought Todd on some 7 years ago his business has quadrupled. The dude flat out knows people and knows how to get things done.

Our current Mayor (should you need him) is sitting down at his gas station shooting the breeze. I was told by someone on council that if you want to talk with him you need to go down there as he doesn't do email other than have his secretary print them off and bring them to him so he can write up a response.

The growth in Spartanburg is being done in spite of the mayors efforts. I credit the chamber of commerce for a lot of the work being done here. Such a waste of time until the next election. Maybe we'll get lucky and Junie will resign.

Edited by Sparkleman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparkleman said:

I just feel Todd is the guy to help Spartanburg take the next step. The guy is a Vice President for Clayton Construction. Ren Clayton told me that since he brought Todd on some 7 years ago his business has quadrupled. The dude flat out knows people and knows how to get things done.

Our current Mayor (should you need him) is sitting down at his gas station shooting the breeze. I was told by someone on council that if you want to talk with him you need to go down there as he doesn't do email other than have his secretary print them off and bring them to him so he can write up a response.

The growth in Spartanburg is being done in spite of the mayors efforts. I credit the chamber of commerce for a lot of the work being done here. Such a waste of time until the next election. Maybe we'll get lucky and Junie will resign.

Agree with everything you say about Todd.  He's young, good looking, visionary, personable, smart, and loves his city.  He'd make an awesome mayor. 

Your assessment of Junie may be a bit too harsh, though.  He's been part of the community for a long time and is well liked.  I'm not aware that he has any enemies; only friends.   I don't think he has the "vision thing" but he's been fortunate to have, as you say, the chamber people doing that for him.  What Junie provides is stability, wisdom, and a grandfatherly leadership style that seems to be working well as our city continues to grow and transition.  We could do a whole lot worse! 

That said, I hope Junie calls it quits after this term and someone like Todd, if not Todd, takes his place. 

Todd may have had a fighting chance in the election if he didn't come off as arrogant and elitist.  That, and the 11th-hour mailer that questioned Junie's fitness for office because of his age didn't help matters, whether or not Todd's campaign had anything to do with that mailer - I was on the fence and that one mailer moved my vote into Junie's column.  Just my $0.02, I think Todd would have done a fine job, but perception didn't help him when compared with Junie's reputation as a man of the people at the level of the man on the street.

Edited by FlopShotter

Regardless of who the mayor is, they basically function as a cheerleader. The Council-Manager form of government puts all the power in the Council, so really all you need is for the mayor is to be good a running meetings, be able to understand and be in touch with the issues that need to be addressed, and be able to schmooze with other community leaders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/2/2018 at 3:10 PM, FlopShotter said:

Todd may have had a fighting chance in the election if he didn't come off as arrogant and elitist.  That, and the 11th-hour mailer that questioned Junie's fitness for office because of his age didn't help matters, whether or not Todd's campaign had anything to do with that mailer - I was on the fence and that one mailer moved my vote into Junie's column.  Just my $0.02, I think Todd would have done a fine job, but perception didn't help him when compared with Junie's reputation as a man of the people at the level of the man on the street.

Not going to re-litigate that election, but I think this comment says a lot.  The way a candidate conducts a campaign says a whole lot about how they'd actually lead once in office, and also, a candidate is ultimately responsible for what they put out in a campaign, and I don't think Todd helped himself with how he ran.  

I think that assessment of Junie is also harsh and unfair.  He has deep relationships in all parts of the community, and that stuff matters when election time comes around.  He's always treated everyone right, no matter their race or economic background.  He's got a lot of savvy in him and can generally read a situation very well.  And he and his council colleagues put the city administration in place and oversee their work, so I would not call him an obstacle to all the progress going on.    I think he does a lot more than sit around the gas station - though I know a lot of folks know that's where they can find him, which isn't such a bad thing.  I would never say he's perfect, but he's got the best interest of the city in what he does.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2018 at 10:31 PM, westsider28 said:

Following up on the nearly full-block townhouse development (Avant/Garrett/Oakwood): I went to the Planning Commission meeting, which was just a public hearing; the vote to approve is next month.  The site plan is below.  This is very dense!  66 units on 3.1 acres.  Though they may lose a few if they need a stormwater retention area (they're still studying that).  The townhouses will aparently all be 3-bedroom (developer mentioned the rarity of that in the area).  They will initially be rentals, with plans to sell them in the future.  The few public comments were concerned about traffic, but supportive of the project.

Update on the Avant/Garrett/Oakwood townhouse development: the last remaining houses on that block of Avant Street have been demolished.  Here's a quick drive-by photo:

IMG_1254.thumb.JPG.93b208bff383570a97b2c03c57405f8d.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

Do you think Avant Street will be curbed and guttered?

The curb is there (you can barely see it).  It may be the original stone curb (not sure).  And there was a sidewalk as well, that was ripped up already (see the dirt strip just behind the grass strip).  They'll probably redo the curbing, though, since they'll have quite a few driveways (unfortunately).

Edited by westsider28