Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

Drove all around town this week, so here's a grab-bag of photos:

Inman Mills renovation (mostly working on interior of units now):

IMG_1424.thumb.JPG.ccdc7da915c8fe57f1cdcc01669bd581.JPGIMG_1425.thumb.JPG.25b31c19fedf255cd33ceb53f716fab7.JPG

Old Wilson World / Radisson / Clarion being renovated into Four Points by Sheraton (seems like they're using a skeleton crew):

IMG_1430.thumb.JPG.5eef4a2a04d3706a3616ba8cb45e7561.JPG

Hilton Garden Inn near WestGate Mall and Spartan 16:

IMG_1431.thumb.JPG.7322b74f05106fa4452bef0cc902ecbd.JPG

Parkside at Drayton (affordable senior apartments) behind Walgreens near Hillcrest (w/rendering)

IMG_1409.thumb.JPG.166e190423016b2a4a06ee2026bab3f8.JPG18528673_ParksideatDrayton.jpg.d619fcb0b7754a25ace3aaee2a38d0a7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

A couple things:

I saw that the AMC Theater (Wynnsong) near Camelot was for sale a few months ago, but now it has ceased operation.  I hope someone like NCG buys it, and keeps it a movie theater.  I think there's an audience for a unique movie experience on the west side (I know the mall theater fills that niche somewhat now).

On Monday, City Council will consider annexation of the parcel behind Hobby Lobby that is planned to be apartments.  It would be R-6 PPD and was approved 3-1 by the Planning Commission.  The developer plans a 288-unit garden-style complex with up to twelve 3-story buildings.  The entrance would be close to the back of the shopping center on Franklin Ave.  They need to annex because the County only allows a density of 8 units per acre, whereas the City allows 16.6 units per acre under the proposed zoning, which makes the project feasible.

Here's a site plan below.  Obviously just a boring suburban complex.  But I think it's important because the City limits would go west of I-26 for the first time, and this would add 300+ residents to the City's population.  I hope the annexation is approved.

111172003_Franklinaptssiteplan2.JPG.e7e3ec5d65f3f29e50e491a1a27bda6e.JPG

"It would be R-6 PPD and was approved 3-1 by the Planning Commission
"

Actually, it was approved last winter 3-1 by the Planning Commission - and when it came back with a new developer, it was approved 4-0 at the December meeting.  It had not gone to City Council after the meeting last winter because the original developer backed out.    

There was significant opposition from the neighborhood - but they are and will remain in the County.  Lots of traffic, crime, disruption complaints.  I hope Council approves it because of the taxable property it brings into the City - as well as the population boost.  No reason for them not to approve it.  

• Thanks 1

There are  other large apartment projects going up that should be annexed too. One is behind Academy Sports and the other is behind New Spring Church.

Both are less than a mile from the existing City limit and required new water service. I wonder if anyone is keeping up with the growth and annexation opportunity

or will we look back in a few years and ask why weren't these parcel's annexed.  Also, 5-6 large apartment buildings were added to the complex just over the RR tracks

at Westgate that should be annexed.  Furthermore, could these annexations use the percentage rule that can allow the City to annex other properties that didn't want

to be annexed to get even more into the City?

5 hours ago, spartanburgh said:

There are  other large apartment projects going up that should be annexed too. One is behind Academy Sports and the other is behind New Spring Church.

Both are less than a mile from the existing City limit and required new water service. I wonder if anyone is keeping up with the growth and annexation opportunity

or will we look back in a few years and ask why weren't these parcel's annexed.  Also, 5-6 large apartment buildings were added to the complex just over the RR tracks

at Westgate that should be annexed.  Furthermore, could these annexations use the percentage rule that can allow the City to annex other properties that didn't want

to be annexed to get even more into the City?

Good question. I have heard there's a series of annexations coming before the 2020 census.  Of course, they have to be adjacent to a property that is currently in the City.  This complex behind the Hobby Lobby is adjacent across I-26, which is legally permissible.  The ones behind Academy Sports, they might be too far from I-26.  Looking at the map, the ones behind New Spring, might be.  

I am pretty sure that the city manager's office is very much aware of projects like this.  Perhaps each of these developers has had to sign the agreement so that when the city boundaries reach them, they will be able to be annexed.  

I think we all remember how royally this was screwed up for the last census. You would think that someone would be

positioned to monitor all possible situation like these and to be accountable for getting the biggest grab possible each

time. I also think that the contiguous requirement could be met with annexing roads and right of ways along them etc.

for some parcels.

City Council approved first reading for annexation of the apartment parcel 4-3 at their meeting last night.  Surprised the vote was that close.  Lots of complaints from nearby residents, but they don't live in the City, so IMO their opinions shouldn't matter much.

Also, I found that Pinnacle Hospitality is planning a Tru by Hilton hotel on Franklin Ave, too.  It would appear to be the former Prime Steakhouse lot (behind Taco Bell) which is owned by the Pinnacle guy (he also owns the strip center there).  It's a relatively small lot for a hotel.  And knowing the timelines of his previous projects, it will probably be a few years before it's built.  Interesting, nonetheless.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:22 AM, vicupstate said:

If they want to beat the 2020 census, they need to hurry.  it is 15 months away. 

The 75% rule for annexation is 75% of the owners owning 75% of the assessed value.  It probably should be used a lot more than it is.  

Seriously. They tried that last go around with Hillbrook and that neighborhood on the west side which somehow wasn't annexed. Either way, it took much longer than they expected if I recall correctly.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:21 PM, westsider28 said:

A couple things:

I saw that the AMC Theater (Wynnsong) near Camelot was for sale a few months ago, but now it has ceased operation.  I hope someone like NCG buys it, and keeps it a movie theater.  I think there's an audience for a unique movie experience on the west side (I know the mall theater fills that niche somewhat now).

On Monday, City Council will consider annexation of the parcel behind Hobby Lobby that is planned to be apartments.  It would be R-6 PPD and was approved 3-1 by the Planning Commission.  The developer plans a 288-unit garden-style complex with up to twelve 3-story buildings.  The entrance would be close to the back of the shopping center on Franklin Ave.  They need to annex because the County only allows a density of 8 units per acre, whereas the City allows 16.6 units per acre under the proposed zoning, which makes the project feasible.

Here's a site plan below.  Obviously just a boring suburban complex.  But I think it's important because the City limits would go west of I-26 for the first time, and this would add 300+ residents to the City's population.  I hope the annexation is approved.

111172003_Franklinaptssiteplan2.JPG.e7e3ec5d65f3f29e50e491a1a27bda6e.JPG

Everything about this is terrible except the annexation and population addition.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Franklin Avenue annexation was approved 5-2 last night on second reading, so it looks like that will go forward despite the neighboring areas (which are not slated to be annexed) being opposed to it.  

https://www.goupstate.com/news/20190129/spartanburg-city-council-approves-franklin-avenue-annexation

Glad to see this come into the city.  because it sets the precedent for crossing I-26 and it will add some revenue and population.  

Good points as well that SCDOT is unlikely to do anything to the Franklin and US-29 intersection without the city being involved.  

The apartment complex itself may be, as someone said, a boring suburban complex, but not everything is going to be an architectural masterpiece.  

Interesting that one resident had gone so far as to call the governor's office to try to find ways to stop it.  The section of state law that he quoted didn't seem to apply - about a vote being required to annex.  It might apply if those folks themselves were being annexed, but for a single piece of property, when its owners petition for annexation, no vote is required.  

• Like 2

^^ I didn't see anything in the linked article about calling the Governor's office.  This annexation is by 100% petition, and no public vote is involved. There is an alternate method that does require a public vote, but that is a different animal. 

I have seen this situation many times in the past in other cities. Whenever residents outside a city seek to stop an annexation, they almost never do.  The opponents have no leverage. If they lived in the city already, it would have probably been killed.       

It's ironic that in a county where property rights are so important that they can't muster the political will to pass a real zoning ordinance, people have the gall to oppose someone who is voluntarily annexing (regardless of the motive for the petition).

I get that they are opposed to the apartments, and that annexation is a proxy issue, but in reality annexation has nothing to do with the apartments themselves since they would be building apartments regardless. IMO, this is yet another example of the type of situation you get when you have no zoning. I'm glad the City annexed the land, and I look forward to the population boost. I hope Spartanburg can crack 40k in the next Census.

• Like 1

Just thinking...South Carolina cities in general are much larger than one would believe because of the annexation laws.  Spartanburg’s urban population is about 180K people but the city population is about 38k people.  Greenville’s urban population is about 400k people (their city population is only about 68k).

By contrast, most outsiders perceive cities of similar size in other states to be much bigger.  For example: Greensboro. Winston-Salem, and High Point.  Greensboro’s city population is about 270k but the urban population is only slightly bigger than the city at about 312k people.  High Point’s city population is  about 111k people but their urban population is about 166k people (less than Spartanburg).

True. You can also make the argument that North Carolina's cities are over-sized due to their (perviously) generous annexation laws. That said, I don't know what another comparison would be. That said, the point is that SC cities are artificially small by design of the legislature. 

On 1/29/2019 at 2:14 PM, Historyguy said:

So, the Franklin Avenue annexation was approved 5-2 last night on second reading, so it looks like that will go forward despite the neighboring areas (which are not slated to be annexed) being opposed to it.  

https://www.goupstate.com/news/20190129/spartanburg-city-council-approves-franklin-avenue-annexation

Glad to see this come into the city.  because it sets the precedent for crossing I-26 and it will add some revenue and population.  

Good points as well that SCDOT is unlikely to do anything to the Franklin and US-29 intersection without the city being involved.  

The apartment complex itself may be, as someone said, a boring suburban complex, but not everything is going to be an architectural masterpiece.  

Interesting that one resident had gone so far as to call the governor's office to try to find ways to stop it.  The section of state law that he quoted didn't seem to apply - about a vote being required to annex.  It might apply if those folks themselves were being annexed, but for a single piece of property, when its owners petition for annexation, no vote is required.  

This is my old stomping ground...I wouldn't be surprised that traffic congestion and noise is what bothers people in the old Franklin Village neighborhood.  That entire cluster of retail out there has generated a ton of traffic.  But its only going to get worse.  

What was interesting was that he was the only person from or near that neighborhood. The rest of the people weren’t even from the neighborhood. No one has said anything about the new apartments or townhouses being built behind Sams Club. When the word annexation came up everyone came from all over to complain. I was very disappointed in Junie White and Sterling Anderson. They both need to retire! I was very  proud of all of the council members that voted for it. 

Edited by 1Spartanburg
  • Like 3

On 2/2/2019 at 4:26 PM, 1Spartanburg said:

What was interesting was that he was the only person from or near that neighborhood. The rest of the people weren’t even from the neighborhood. No one has said anything about the new apartments or townhouses being built behind Sams Club. When the word annexation came up everyone came from all over to complain. I was very disappointed in Junie White and Sterling Anderson. They both need to retire! I was very  proud of all of the council members that voted for it. 

Welcome to the forum and thanks for becoming a supporting member!!

On 1/15/2019 at 6:15 PM, westsider28 said:

City Council approved first reading for annexation of the apartment parcel 4-3 at their meeting last night.  Surprised the vote was that close.  Lots of complaints from nearby residents, but they don't live in the City, so IMO their opinions shouldn't matter much.

Also, I found that Pinnacle Hospitality is planning a Tru by Hilton hotel on Franklin Ave, too.  It would appear to be the former Prime Steakhouse lot (behind Taco Bell) which is owned by the Pinnacle guy (he also owns the strip center there).  It's a relatively small lot for a hotel.  And knowing the timelines of his previous projects, it will probably be a few years before it's built.  Interesting, nonetheless.

Tru by Hilton appears to be under construction NOW.  I just drove by and saw a construction trailer, port-a-potties, and earthmoving equipment.  

• Like 2

The Lofts at Inman Mill are nearly complete.  Leasing is underway, move-ins start March 1, and grand opening is March 13.  Their official website is https://www.inmanmillslofts.com/ (lots of great photos there).  Apartments.com shows 1BR units starting at $850 to 3BR units topping out at $1,365.  The apartments are phase 1, with later phases (possible retail/restaurant) dependent on the success of the first phase.  It looks really nice.  I hope the apartments fill quickly and that this project gives Inman a boost.

346289602_InmanMillsnight1.thumb.jpg.9574ad363b304a7f67524e582b36d11f.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...