Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Hmm, I saw this posted as a conceptual project on a construction bid site.  I assume this is new construction?  I wonder where it would be.  May need to dig up the old thread from when something like this was proposed several years ago...

I think that Upstate is behind this Convention Center. Their Gym is in need of replacement and a Downtown arena appeals to them. It could be used for other events as well, such as the SoCon tournament,

concerts, shows of all sorts. I hope they get it done. Downtown is lacking anything that can draw large crowds.

37 minutes ago, spartanburgh said:

I think that Upstate is behind this Convention Center. Their Gym is in need of replacement and a Downtown arena appeals to them. It could be used for other events as well, such as the SoCon tournament,

concerts, shows of all sorts. I hope they get it done. Downtown is lacking anything that can draw large crowds.

Unfortunately, it looks like the arena will not be downtown, but rather at USC Upstate's main campus.  See discussion about their new master plan (including a "Convocation Center") in the College Town Updates thread.

3 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Unfortunately, it looks like the arena will not be downtown, but rather at USC Upstate's main campus.  See discussion about their new master plan (including a "Convocation Center") in the College Town Updates thread.

USC Spartanburg, uh Upstate, certainly needs a replacement for the Hodge Center.  Its a glorified high school gym.  For the school to move to the next level it needs an arena.

More and more colleges and universities are constructing on-campus arenas that are often booked for non-university events.  I'd love to see a downtown arena but, let's face it, the money ain't there.    

A convention center is very different from an arena. I still don't think it's a great use of money - but maybe a venue that holds ~5,000 or so would make sense for those smaller to mid-sized events that are realistic for Spartanburg to attract.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was driving out Cannons Campground Rd yesterday past where Floyd Rd runs into it and a lot of acreage on the left side has been cleared all the way down to the cemetery at Plainview Dr. There are Morgan Corp trailers all around so this probably isn't going to be residential. Any idea what is coming here?

5 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

I was driving out Cannons Campground Rd yesterday past where Floyd Rd runs into it and a lot of acreage on the left side has been cleared all the way down to the cemetery at Plainview Dr. There are Morgan Corp trailers all around so this probably isn't going to be residential. Any idea what is coming here?

GIS says the land was purchased in 2019 by Mark III Properties, who does a lot of residential on the westside.  Probably the same here.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Apparently, dual-concept Ashley Home Store and Outlet will go in the old Toys 'R Us spot at Westgate Village.  This will be larger than their current location across Blackstock from the mall (which is on the market now).

Framing is complete on the 3-story storage place at Camelot Village. 

IMG_3146.thumb.JPG.9cf769eee4fbccf2c8e976f4a7cbd4a5.JPG

383750797_Camelotstoragebldg.thumb.jpeg.2cdbc04fe31bcee292ca365f117c02ff.jpeg

Jersey Mikes is expected to open in October, with Five Guys opening sometime later.  Thankfully, they've lined up the entrance with the Camelot Court across JBW,Sr Blvd.  IMO, they should consider putting a traffic light here in the future, particularly for pedestrians, as this is a looooong stretch with no safe crossings.

IMG_3147.thumb.JPG.04bcb9830f01aaf115f078476df132d1.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
11 hours ago, westsider28 said:

The HJ has a good overview on current and future development in Inman

IMO, it has lots of potential to be a more livable alternative to the hellscape that is Boiling Springs.

Agree.  Inman's downtown has the potential to be a destination.  I just wish the appearance of the area around 176 and 292 intersection could be improved.   Kind of shabby in my judgment. 

11 hours ago, westsider28 said:

The HJ has a good overview on current and future development in Inman

IMO, it has lots of potential to be a more livable alternative to the hellscape that is Boiling Springs.

• 1 month later...

Several items of note on the westside of town:

Construction is well underway on the car wash east of the Texas Roadhouse on WO Ezell.  Also, Chick-fil-A near the Dorman Centre has been totally demolished and will be rebuilt on the same site, hopefully with better traffic flow (though the size of the lot makes it challenging).

The multi-story storage building at Camelot Court (old Wynsong Theater site) appears to be complete/open.  I saw that there's an item about storage facilities on the Planning Commission agenda for their Feb. 18 meeting.  It even mentions considering rules to allow them within Urban Code boundaries, which I think is a mistake.  They contribute nothing to the urban fabric and are generally ugly.

At tonight's City Council meeting, first reading will be held for a development agreement that would result in 10% of the units at the forthcoming 288-unit Franklin Ave apartments (behind Hobby Lobby) being rented at affordable rates to those who make 80% AMI.  It's admirable that the City is working with developers to include affordable units in essentially every new apartment development in the City.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spartan said:

So that means they decided to annex that property then?

The Franklin Ave apartments property was annexed in 2019.  It's actually changed owners since then, which is why there was a delay in the development moving forward.  But hopefully we'll see construction start in a few months now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

County Council approved first reading of a FILOT agreement for a code-named "Project Chestnut".  It was mentioned in passing in this article as the first project under the new mixed-use development rules recently approved.  The agreement states that it is "a multifamily project with related amenities" and at least a $37M investment.  A different item on this evening's agenda mentions the project will involve both the sale and lease of County-owned land.  As usual, more will be revealed at later meetings (typically 3rd reading).

Anyone have an idea of where this project will be?  My speculation is the former Boiling Springs 9th grade campus, because that would involve the sale of County land (well, school district land) and there's already a townhome project called Chestnut Springs approved for a portion of the land there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Massive housing development planned across from Carolina County Club.  It's called "Everly" and it's 1,029 single-family homes (!) and 125 townhomes.  Planned late-2021 start, 2023 completion.  It's by Mark III Properties who, along with Enchanted Homes, seems to be taking over the entire area.  Too bad their stuff is generic sprawl.  Zero retail for 1k+ homes?  Come on, man.  Get in the 21st century.  Anyway, low-res site plan below.  Mark III also owns a ~120 acre parcel east of CCC as well...

487147439_EverlydevnearCCC.jpg.372a6bede0623852580599513c06b1c5.jpg

2060085560_everlydevsite.JPG.594870d1560c6b6b99a9db55c45597bd.JPG

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

This is a bit more interesting: I saw a VCC notice in the paper this morning for the former Whitney Mill site.  RST The Falls at Whitney Mill, LP intends to acquire the 7-acre property (see site below) and plans to construct multi-family residential buildings.  Looking at the document and Googling the name of the person who signed it led me to find that the developer is most likely Roundstone Development from Dallas, TX.  Definitely will be an interesting project to keep an eye on, as yet another former mill site will hopefully be redeveloped!

789744830_whitneyaptssite.JPG.d9e06bfb3c50d8e135b4cbd9285a2713.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...