Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

On 8/15/2021 at 11:22 AM, westsider28 said:

This is a bit more interesting: I saw a VCC notice in the paper this morning for the former Whitney Mill site.  RST The Falls at Whitney Mill, LP intends to acquire the 7-acre property (see site below) and plans to construct multi-family residential buildings.  Looking at the document and Googling the name of the person who signed it led me to find that the developer is most likely Roundstone Development from Dallas, TX.  Definitely will be an interesting project to keep an eye on, as yet another former mill site will hopefully be redeveloped!

789744830_whitneyaptssite.JPG.d9e06bfb3c50d8e135b4cbd9285a2713.JPG

I hope they name it "The Mills at Whitney, by God."

• 2 weeks later...

Drove by the Converse Mill yesterday. Lot's of progress. Windows unbricked, the 70's additions have been torn down and a lot of site work going on. 

I think if done right, that project could end up being the catalyst for some meaningful development and growth in the Converse/Clifton area! 

Edited by Spartanburg Dude
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

Drove by the Converse Mill yesterday. Lot's of progress. Windows unbricked, the 70's additions have been torn down and a lot of site work going on. 

I think if done right, that project could end up being the catalyst for some meaningful development and growth in the Converse/Clifton area! 

Seems like that's already happening, as I found an Ellison Townhomes project (116 units) in the most recent County Land Use report, which is planned for near Broome HS (see screenshot below).

218541893_ellisonths.JPG.b7047c81e3b1040a730f3b764622e89b.JPG

• Like 1

22 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Seems like that's already happening, as I found an Ellison Townhomes project (116 units) in the most recent County Land Use report, which is planned for near Broome HS (see screenshot below).

218541893_ellisonths.JPG.b7047c81e3b1040a730f3b764622e89b.JPG

HA! There ya go! That's a great find. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing that whole area flourish! 

On 9/29/2021 at 8:27 AM, Spartanburg Dude said:

Another possible Clifton development: there was a notice in the paper today about the County potentially conveying property at 5299 Clifton Glendale Road for development of a multi-family project.  This is the former Clifton Mill #2 site, and current Clifton Park.  The developer is "Clifton Mill Development, LLC" which is registered to Mark B. Peters of Britt Peters and Associates.  Interestingly, most of their projects have been urban/downtown.  Anyway, this sounds exciting.  Possibly more info at the Oct. 18 County Council meeting (public hearing to be held).

2066138627_cliftonaptssite.JPG.182821e2e9a47b2eaa4bb6e299756aad.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 11:57 AM, westsider28 said:

Another possible Clifton development: there was a notice in the paper today about the County potentially conveying property at 5299 Clifton Glendale Road for development of a multi-family project.  This is the former Clifton Mill #2 site, and current Clifton Park.  The developer is "Clifton Mill Development, LLC" which is registered to Mark B. Peters of Britt Peters and Associates.  Interestingly, most of their projects have been urban/downtown.  Anyway, this sounds exciting.  Possibly more info at the Oct. 18 County Council meeting (public hearing to be held).

2066138627_cliftonaptssite.JPG.182821e2e9a47b2eaa4bb6e299756aad.JPG

This could be something very special. So exciting!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 11:57 AM, westsider28 said:

According to the agenda for Monday's County Council meeting, this is "Project Chestnut."  In that FILOT, it described the project as: "a multifamily project with related amenities...which will result in an expected aggregate investment of at least $37,000,000.00 and the creation of at least 4 [net] new, full-time, jobs."  This is the project that needed the new mixed-use standards, so I assume it will have something besides just apartments.  Honestly a restaurant right on the river would be amazing.  Hope it's something like that.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, westsider28 said:

According to the agenda for Monday's County Council meeting, this is "Project Chestnut."  In that FILOT, it described the project as: "a multifamily project with related amenities...which will result in an expected aggregate investment of at least $37,000,000.00 and the creation of at least 4 [net] new, full-time, jobs."  This is the project that needed the new mixed-use standards, so I assume it will have something besides just apartments.  Honestly a restaurant right on the river would be amazing.  Hope it's something like that.

A restaurant on the river would be incredible, especially if it's a "nicer" one. I'm not saying white table cloth, but something a bit more upscale with nice river side seating. Could be a game changer. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

At tonight's Planning Commission meeting, I also learned that there's an apartment development happening on the large, square vacant parcel at 121 Garner Road between Food Lion and Mr. Gatti's.  They're called "Comet Apartments", and it appears it could be a brand out of Greensboro.  I don't remember how many units (maybe 120?).  But anyway, more housing in the City is good.

1009651777_garnerapts.JPG.f7e96152f013b9662f0d37b403499899.JPG

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, westsider28 said:

At tonight's Planning Commission meeting, I also learned that there's an apartment development happening on the large, square vacant parcel at 121 Garner Road between Food Lion and Mr. Gatti's.  They're called "Comet Apartments", and it appears it could be a brand out of Greensboro.  I don't remember how many units (maybe 120?).  But anyway, more housing in the City is good.

1009651777_garnerapts.JPG.f7e96152f013b9662f0d37b403499899.JPG

Great to see some some meaningful development happening in that area!

The Herald-Journal just put out a pretty comprehensive article about the surge of residential growth on the East Side.  It's been a long time coming, as other areas grew while this area was stagnant.  A projected 2,250 homes will be added to D7 over the next 2-3 years.  Building the new Spartan High with plenty of extra capacity was wise.  The Downtown Transportation Plan that I mentioned in another thread was referenced.  Also Oshkosh Defense (building USPS trucks) was mentioned as an economic engine that could continue East Side growth.  And it covered how East Side residents tend to strongly patronize downtown businesses.

Most developments covered in the article have been mentioned here before, like the huge Everly development near Carolina Country Club.  The Ellison (mentioned upthread) is larger than I thought.  In addition to townhomes, there's 203 patio homes and 242 "cottages".  The one good (rare) thing about that development, is that it will connect to existing streets! (Harrell, Shelton, and Meadowbrook, in addition to East Main)

Most of developments are part of the Mark III Properties empire.  They're behind like 70% of County housing developments, it seems.  A bit disturbing, IMO.  A greater variety of developers would be preferable, so we could perhaps get different (better) ideas/designs.

Anyway, here's a direct link to a Google Doc of many of the development plans.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A second location for Holliday Brewing is coming to downtown Inman just across the tracks from Main Street.  It will also have a restaurant by Burgers & Bakery, outdoor seating, and a stage for live music.  This is huge for downtown Inman.  Glad to see them getting this type of investment.

287421470_HollidayBrewingInman.thumb.jpg.cb77d835d685c8ec39a19b9f26920c7b.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, westsider28 said:

A second location for Holliday Brewing is coming to downtown Inman just across the tracks from Main Street.  It will also have a restaurant by Burgers & Bakery, outdoor seating, and a stage for live music.  This is huge for downtown Inman.  Glad to see them getting this type of investment.

287421470_HollidayBrewingInman.thumb.jpg.cb77d835d685c8ec39a19b9f26920c7b.jpg

We're super excited about this partnership! If you have any questions I'm glad to answer what I can! 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Santi said:

Another point of reference - it's in the Stillhouse Road area.

Per the Pauline SC Community Chat group on Facebook, I am hearing that the owners of Bubba's BBQ is actually planning to build on that site - wait for it - a new fish camp.  Also read about rumors of a hotel going behind Bojangle's and Zaxby's there.

• Like 1