Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

I was looking at the Land Use Report in Monday's County Council agenda and found something about "The One Apartments" on North Town Drive near Hearon Circle.  It would be 189 units.  The LLC is out of Miami, and a quick Google suggests that "The One" may be a brand of student apartments (I found Ann Arbor and Lubbock ones).  Not hugely exciting, but it could probably be considered "infill" housing, so not bad.

424799782_oneapts.jpg.b2df7a16d53ad07e860a1bffe6c43bd4.jpg

• Confused 1

Thanks for sharing, Westsider. I see that they will also be looking at the Converse Mill project. I have yet to attend a County Council meeting, so I hope I can make it out tonight. Your posts are really helping me learn how to be a more well informed citizen of Spartanburg! So thanks for that also.

• Like 1

$6.5 million mixed-use plan for downtown Lyman (Groce & Elliott Roads).  Would include 12 townhomes on Elliott (1600 SF each) and a 18,500 SF mixed-use 2-story building at the corner of Groce and Spartanburg Roads. It would have 8 retail spaces (900 SF each) and a restaurant space (4100 SF) on the ground floor and 8 apartments above.  Infrastructure work should begin in August.  P&C article  Exciting stuff for Lyman.

972264714_Lymanmixed-use.jpg.9c85688539df645bb949a187ba3ce3a6.jpg

I believe Lyman is also looking for developers to redevelop the old Pacific Mills site.  That has a ton of potential.

• Like 3

On 5/17/2022 at 5:24 PM, westsider28 said:

$6.5 million mixed-use plan for downtown Lyman (Groce & Elliott Roads).  Would include 12 townhomes on Elliott (1600 SF each) and a 18,500 SF mixed-use 2-story building at the corner of Groce and Spartanburg Roads. It would have 8 retail spaces (900 SF each) and a restaurant space (4100 SF) on the ground floor and 8 apartments above.  Infrastructure work should begin in August.  P&C article  Exciting stuff for Lyman.

972264714_Lymanmixed-use.jpg.9c85688539df645bb949a187ba3ce3a6.jpg

I believe Lyman is also looking for developers to redevelop the old Pacific Mills site.  That has a ton of potential.

Word from the developer is that work should begin in four weeks, so this thing is moving quickly!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see that the Evolve at New Hope Farm development at I-85 and Hwy 29 in Wellford will be preserving the historic home on site.  The farm is currently on the National Register.  It's a fairly boring "mixed-use" development with 280 apartments and plans to reuse the house as a café or coffee shop and the barn as a brewery or restaurant.  $50 million project.  Initial site work has begun with expected completion in the third quarter of 2023.

new-hope-map.jpg.a10b39949fa6c565c9749d01f7795c39.jpg

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Found several new (to me) residential developments in the County Council's Planning Dept update.

"Pine Street Apartments" is a 156-unit complex planned near USC Upstate:

pinestapts.thumb.jpg.ba9fabc073daec725d4440624d66c5f6.jpg

"Trenton Place" is a 141-unit townhome development planned at the corner of E Blackstock & Old Georgia (really need an Old Georgia / I-26 exit):

trentonpl.jpg.4d2b9ced8466f960675660472d362a5e.jpg

"Southport Apartments" is a 244-unit complex planned on Hwy-295 near the DT Airport:

southport.jpg.6159555e2062de074e4791f1e723c992.jpg

"Bridge Creek Pointe" is a 90-unit apartment complex planned off Reidville Rd at I-26. I desperately hope it will connect to the existing apartment complex to allow access to Oak Forest Rd and that traffic light (the current entrance on Reidville is overburdened and dangerous), but I doubt it will.

1993891769_bcpapts.thumb.jpg.873396e883711b34aa9fc44e2e4d5ef7.jpg

"Hallbrook Townes" is a 445-unit townhome development on 85 acres off Floyd Rd behind the new Berkeley subdivision.  The site is 237 acres total, so more could be planned there as well.  We're gonna need a Floyd Rd widening, and we really need another Cannons Campground - Hwy 221 connection (widen Police Club Rd?).

hallbrook.jpg.f4cfc05174da01f1ec9a5fe0f5da1cef.jpg

You can see all planned projects (that I know of) on my development map.  I'm getting really concerned about the speed and scale of these suburban developments, without corresponding infrastructure improvements.  I think we're going to be in a crisis situation in ~5 years.  We desperately need more connections and alternate/redundant routes, along with targeted widenings of 2-lane roads.

Edited by westsider28
Added a project I initially forgot about
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2022 at 1:51 PM, westsider28 said:

Found several new (to me) residential developments in the County Council's Planning Dept update.

"Pine Street Apartments" is a 156-unit complex planned near USC Upstate:

pinestapts.thumb.jpg.ba9fabc073daec725d4440624d66c5f6.jpg

"Trenton Place" is a 141-unit townhome development planned at the corner of E Blackstock & Old Georgia (really need an Old Georgia / I-26 exit):

trentonpl.jpg.4d2b9ced8466f960675660472d362a5e.jpg

"Southport Apartments" is a 244-unit complex planned on Hwy-295 near the DT Airport:

southport.jpg.6159555e2062de074e4791f1e723c992.jpg

"Bridge Creek Pointe" is a 90-unit apartment complex planned off Reidville Rd at I-26. I desperately hope it will connect to the existing apartment complex to allow access to Oak Forest Rd and that traffic light (the current entrance on Reidville is overburdened and dangerous), but I doubt it will.

1993891769_bcpapts.thumb.jpg.873396e883711b34aa9fc44e2e4d5ef7.jpg

"Hallbrook Townes" is a 445-unit townhome development on 85 acres off Floyd Rd behind the new Berkeley subdivision.  The site is 237 acres total, so more could be planned there as well.  We're gonna need a Floyd Rd widening, and we really need another Cannons Campground - Hwy 221 connection (widen Police Club Rd?).

hallbrook.jpg.f4cfc05174da01f1ec9a5fe0f5da1cef.jpg

You can see all planned projects (that I know of) on my development map.  I'm getting really concerned about the speed and scale of these suburban developments, without corresponding infrastructure improvements.  I think we're going to be in a crisis situation in ~5 years.  We desperately need more connections and alternate/redundant routes, along with targeted widenings of 2-lane roads.

I thought that the associated parcel for Trenton (6-29-00-060.00) would not be enough for 141 units! Are the other parcels you selected based on a previous agenda/request, or are you assuming they are all connected based on the fact they are all owned by Petit Real Estate?

Just saw that the Bridge Creek Pointe project got awarded the following:

NOTICE OF AWARD HOME INVESTMENT PARTNERSHIPS PROGRAM The South Carolina State Housing Finance and Development Authority has awarded HOME Investment Partnership Program funds (HOME Program) to Bridge Creek Pointe, LP in the amount of $ 500,000.00. These HOME funds have been awarded to develop 4 Three Story Buildings with 90 Units and 6 of the units will be HOME-assisted. This HOME award will increase the number of affordable housing units available for lease in the community to low-income households and may also provide contracting and employment opportunities. The HOME Program is an Equal Housing Opportunity Program and is subject to the requirements of the Fair Housing ACT of 1988, as amended. Minority, women, and Section 3 businesses (as defined by 24 CFR 135) are encouraged to participate. Bridge Creek Pointe, LP does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status or disability in the admission or access to, or treatment of or employment in, its federally assisted programs or activities. Anyone with questions concerning this HOME-funded project should contact: Bridge Creek Pointe, LPat [email protected] . June 21, 22, 2022   7431209

14 hours ago, Santi said:

I thought that the associated parcel for Trenton (6-29-00-060.00) would not be enough for 141 units! Are the other parcels you selected based on a previous agenda/request, or are you assuming they are all connected based on the fact they are all owned by Petit Real Estate?

Yeah, just an assumption.  I had seen the parcels marketed contiguously in the past.  They'll likely combine them all into one parcel with that identifier.

14 hours ago, Santi said:

There's also the 53 units of "Townhomes at Harper Hill."image.thumb.png.848a44920aa95ea45136cb7e1e717c3c.png

Good catch. Surprising they can fit that in there.  Access seems substandard unless they acquire at least one home along Old Georgia (or maybe just an easement).  Plus there's that weird "floating" property in the middle, which I assume has / will have an access easement.

1 hour ago, Santi said:

Just saw that the Bridge Creek Pointe project got awarded the following:

NOTICE OF AWARD HOME INVESTMENT PARTNERSHIPS PROGRAM The South Carolina State Housing Finance and Development Authority has awarded HOME Investment Partnership Program funds (HOME Program) to Bridge Creek Pointe, LP in the amount of $ 500,000.00. These HOME funds have been awarded to develop 4 Three Story Buildings with 90 Units and 6 of the units will be HOME-assisted. This HOME award will increase the number of affordable housing units available for lease in the community to low-income households and may also provide contracting and employment opportunities. The HOME Program is an Equal Housing Opportunity Program and is subject to the requirements of the Fair Housing ACT of 1988, as amended. Minority, women, and Section 3 businesses (as defined by 24 CFR 135) are encouraged to participate. Bridge Creek Pointe, LP does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status or disability in the admission or access to, or treatment of or employment in, its federally assisted programs or activities. Anyone with questions concerning this HOME-funded project should contact: Bridge Creek Pointe, LPat [email protected] . June 21, 22, 2022   7431209

Yep, I saw that too.  Looked into it further and found this document about the project.  It will be "deeply affordable" housing (serving people making 20%, 40%, and 60% of Area Median Income) which is much needed.

2 hours ago, Santi said:

There is a bid for a "RFP 2022047 OWNER OCCUPIED HOUSING RECONSTRUCTION- 2207 CANNONS CAMPGROUND ROAD," which is right in front of the Mark III empire project. Anyone know what it's about? 

Pretty minor thing.  Looks like just a demolition and replacement of a single house.  Likely a CDBG project or something similar to help low-income residents.

On 6/20/2022 at 1:57 PM, Sparkleman said:

The infra-structure is a complete afterthought. It's all about the Benjamins at this point. I almost feel sorry for the folks that move in here and find out the traffic scene has them screwed.

Its somewhat mind blowing to me that people would rather deal with an HOA than a City Council.

• 2 weeks later...

July's County Planning Commission agenda is posted (meeting is 7/12).  New (to me) are a small (23-unit) townhome development called "Eaglewood Branch" on Hidden Hill next to a self-storage facility (near E Blackstock):

575926649_EBth.jpg.6cc3cefdce3a56d576d1622c93c31f89.jpg

And a large, 318-unit townhome development called "Bishop Knoll", on Jersey Road off Bishop Drive in Inman (future development next to this is also noted, but no details):

807854693_BishopKnollth.thumb.jpg.50edb4acd56bb7b38aad435a4f153853.jpg

Pine Street Apartments (near USC Upstate) is now shown as 192-units across 3 separate sections (just noticed "future commercial development" at the corner, too):

1940075488_PineStapts.thumb.jpg.bd31d93f7b0b5b9be5198576181b84ef.jpg

There are also more details on "Hallbrook Townes" (445-units) off Floyd Rd on the east side.  Developer is Contender out of Greenville.  You can see there is more planned between the townhomes and Floyd.  No clue why you'd put that density of townhomes sooooo far back into the development.  Whatever is in-between (prob. SFHs) will see A LOT of daily car traffic.  Most "mixed-use" residential developments like this put the townhomes at the main road in front (Everly, Berkeley, etc). 

800137269_HallbrookTownessiteplan.thumb.jpg.acc3bd46ef34040a65f5a4de898d17d0.jpg

46483401_HallbrookTownesfullsite.thumb.jpg.893dc4f0ad43e81d3077b273f486a8a2.jpg

hallbrook.jpg.853d6c69ab077d6fcb272ebdeac836f7.jpg

I updated my development map with these projects.

Edited by westsider28
Added info
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Santi said:

The following came on the scene today.

What catches my eye in a special way is the possible addition of a new grocery store. Anyone know how that situation is like in that area?

0-Warren-H-Abernathy-Hwy-Spartanburg-SC-Conceptual-Commercial-Development-Plan-1-LargeHighDefinition.jpeg

Considering that it's Gibbs, I expect very little of this to happen as shown.  I've seen several iterations of this plan over the last ~2 years.  The one you show has more fast-food, which is probably realistic (the SOLD parcel will most likely be a McDonald's).  The self-storage might also happen (since those seem to be easy money).

That said, I think a grocery store could make sense here.  It's 3 miles from Lidl/Target/Ingles, and 3.3 miles from the Food Lion in Wellford.  And between Grand Oaks and New Hope Farm, there could be ~1000 apartment units right there, plus direct interstate access. (Though I think the exit/interchange needs to be reconfigured.  It's already messy, and will likely become a disaster due to increased traffic from nearby development.)

I think this project's viability could also depend on how the Upward Star Center is redeveloped.  If that becomes primarily apartments/residential as well, a grocery store becomes more feasible.  If it becomes industrial (more likely, IMO), I think a grocer is less feasible.  Or a developer could torpedo Gibbs' plan by going with retail/restaurant themselves.

Finally, I'll say again: it's Gibbs.  While he has a successful industrial business and is generous with philanthropy, he has NEVER delivered on ANY of his development proposals.  I'd love for this project to happen and think that it's viable in a competent developer's hands, but I seriously doubt it comes to fruition with Gibbs.  Nothing personal, just facts.  He's welcome to prove me wrong by getting it done.

Edited by westsider28

10 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Considering that it's Gibbs, I expect very little of this to happen as shown.  I've seen several iterations of this plan over the last ~2 years.  The one you show has more fast-food, which is probably realistic (the SOLD parcel will most likely be a McDonald's).  The self-storage might also happen (since those seem to be easy money).

That said, I think a grocery store could make sense here.  It's 3 miles from Lidl/Target/Ingles, and 3.3 miles from the Food Lion in Wellford.  And between Grand Oaks and New Hope Farm, there could be ~1000 apartment units right there, plus direct interstate access. (Though I think the exit/interchange needs to be reconfigured.  It's already messy, and will likely become a disaster due to increased traffic from nearby development.)

I think this project's viability could also depend on how the Upward Star Center is redeveloped.  If that becomes primarily apartments/residential as well, a grocery store becomes more feasible.  If it becomes industrial (more likely, IMO), I think a grocer is less feasible.  Or a developer could torpedo Gibbs' plan by going with retail/restaurant themselves.

Finally, I'll say again: it's Gibbs.  While he has a successful industrial business and is generous with philanthropy, he has NEVER delivered on ANY of his development proposals.  I'd love for this project to happen and think that it's viable in a competent developer's hands, but I seriously doubt it comes to fruition with Gibbs.  Nothing personal, just facts.  He's welcome to prove me wrong by getting it done.

Agree that we need to "see it to believe it" but...this one might just come to fruition, albeit modified a bit from this rendering.  This location is hot and getting hotter.  Residential construction out there is unbelievable.  

That early 1960's interchange can't last much longer.  The merge onto southbound I-85 is "unsafe at any speed".    

• Like 2