Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

On 3/17/2023 at 12:08 PM, westsider28 said:

Last night, Planning Commission unanimously recommended approval of annexation and LOD-PDD for this 9-acre parcel.  It now goes to City Council (first reading, April 10) for final approval.

The developer of this project also recently bought City View Apts and 701 East Main apts, so they're bullish on Spartanburg.

The plan is for 170 apartments and potential future commercial along Church (see site plan below).  The apartments are 3-4 floors, and they're set back from Florida Ave. only to give more buffer between them and a (loud) metal recycling plant across the street (in the county).  Long-term it's a shame, since that recycling facility will probably go away in the future, but it's understandable at the moment to make the apartments more livable.  The cursor is pointing at a parking deck.  It's one of those that has no ramp, you just enter the top or bottom from different driveways due to grade differences (like the offices on East Main downtown).

1191572144_1017Floridamixed-use.thumb.jpg.a8dfa35c34b79998eebb667cea41a5c3.jpg

Was anyone at the April 10 City Council meeting?  According to the 4-20 PC agenda, CC tabled annexation of 1017 Florida Ave.  Any idea why?

Also according to that agenda, YET ANOTHER CARWASH will be replacing the old Rite Aid in Cedar Springs (2195 Southport Rd).  By my count, there are 7 planned, under construction, or recently built carwashes in the City alone...

Edited by westsider28

20 hours ago, NotNotSanti said:

Anyone know what is happening across the Ingles on Chesnee Highway immediately after I-85? 

Are you talking about this large parcel (which they appear to be clearing/grading)?

rg221.thumb.jpg.3f4610b283350eaee949a97e1f1495dc.jpg

It's owned by an LLC that's associated with the Rockefeller Group.  They're also doing a large project in Duncan/Startex (Duncan Logistics Center).  So this is likely to be a warehouse/industrial project as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Earmarks: 

Rep. Max Hyde, R-Spartanburg, requested $20 million to improve downtown Spartanburg infrastructure.

Upstate lawmakers have also requested money to improve greenways and trail systems. The Saluda Grade Rail Trail, which passes through downtown Inman, Gramling, Campobello, Landrum, Tryon, and Saluda into North Carolina could get $10 million.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 9:59 PM, westsider28 said:

At their March 16 meeting, Planning Commission will consider a request for annexation and zoning designation of property located at 1017 Florida Avenue (TMS: 7-08-09-086.00) currently un-zoned to be assigned a zoning designation of LOD-PDD, Limited Office District – Planned Development District to accommodate a mixed-use development on the site.  LOD is generally for doctors or lawyers offices, but it can have residential as well.  Property is ~9 acres.  Always good to see annexation.

1259844197_1017fl.jpg.8cfbe3962a7aac304e1dfada44f03fb7.jpg

This parcel is going back before the Planning Commission at their June 15 meeting for annexation and zoning as R8-PDD (vs LOD-PDD last time).  Skimming over the zoning code, my interpretation is that R8-PDD allows less density, requires more open space, and limits commercial. (can anyone confirm or deny?)  That seems like it could be a downgrade, but I'll wait to see what the new plan is before judging.  Former plan below:

709117654_1017Floridamixed-use2.thumb.jpg.3b6456e9b8b2059b0bc788ff5a740839.jpg

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2023 at 4:28 PM, westsider28 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but the former Pepsi bottling plant on South Church looks like it will be redeveloped with another "light industrial" use.  There is a VCC document about it.  It says the current building will be demolished (either partially or fully) and a new facility constructed for light industrial use.  The developer is Mark Peters (he's planning A LOT right now).  There's another name on the VCC: Philipp Porst, who is the CEO of CH Mueller.  I wonder if that's the company who will occupy the facility?  They have a facility in Greer across from BMW (who is a client of theirs).  I also recall City Council discussing a project in Executive Session several months ago that could be this one.

This is a somewhat disappointing use from an urban development standpoint, but it could be positive economically for Southside residents to have manufacturing-type employment so close (walking distance), so they don't have to drive all the way to Greer for that kind of work.  It will be interesting to learn more details about this.  The doc says closing on the property is supposed to be June 15.

Despite environmental concerns and objections from nearby residents (H-J article, P&C article), the manufacturing facility on South Church may be moving forward.  City Council will consider a development agreement at Monday's meeting (6/12) for a project that would demolish the current Pepsi facility and replace it with a new light manufacturing facility that would be ~100k SF, $20M, and would employ approximately 100 people.  They would make efforts to train and hire folks from the nearby neighborhood, and they would beautify the property (see rendering below of possible look).

1377132799_Pepsisiteposs(2).thumb.jpg.7a854bb63ccf40d937ef835ce2ec5fe0.jpg

I feel like the environmental objections have been way overblown - the city would not be interested in having this company in the city if they were going to pollute.  I think the facility will be a lot better than what's there, and it seems like the best opportunity for that site in a while.  I'm not saying I think you jump at the first opportunity, but this one seems actually pretty good.  The notion that some folks have of some mixed-use facility seems very unlikely at this point.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2023 at 11:29 AM, westsider28 said:

This parcel is going back before the Planning Commission at their June 15 meeting for annexation and zoning as R8-PDD (vs LOD-PDD last time).  Skimming over the zoning code, my interpretation is that R8-PDD allows less density, requires more open space, and limits commercial. (can anyone confirm or deny?)  That seems like it could be a downgrade, but I'll wait to see what the new plan is before judging. 

Apparently, this project is now 86 townhomes and a restaurant on North Church Street.  I'm disappointed in the reduction of density, but glad to have more property annexed into the City and additional residents.  

1246172909_1017Floridaupdatesite.thumb.jpg.1a51f3954c9ac66739f3dbf8369edf58.jpg

On 6/20/2023 at 7:34 PM, westsider28 said:

Apparently, this project is now 86 townhomes and a restaurant on North Church Street.  I'm disappointed in the reduction of density, but glad to have more property annexed into the City and additional residents.  

The developer told the Planning Commission that he couldn't really make the financials work with the apartment buildings - and the garage.  But, while this will be a rental community at the start, it will be designed in such a way that eventually the townhomes could be sold, which I think in a way is better.  The developer also wanted the additional density, but it just wasn't feasible right now.  He did request, and was granted, a 10 percent density bonus, so the lots will be slightly smaller than is required in R8-PDD.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Planning Commission will hear a request at their 6/20 meeting to rezone the large parcel behind Texas Roadhouse off WO Ezell from R6-Live/Work to R6-PDD for the development of "El Dorado Townes" on the site.  It will be interesting to see how many units there are and what the site plan will be.  Seems like a good use for the site.

1487069352_barritttownes.jpg.a41c1246c9bf81c1931e5f3e2092588d.jpg

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 7:00 PM, westsider28 said:

The Planning Commission will hear a request at their 6/20 meeting to rezone the large parcel behind Texas Roadhouse off WO Ezell from R6-Live/Work to R6-PDD for the development of "El Dorado Townes" on the site.  It will be interesting to see how many units there are and what the site plan will be.  Seems like a good use for the site.

1487069352_barritttownes.jpg.a41c1246c9bf81c1931e5f3e2092588d.jpg

There's a site plan for this rezoning in the July 20 agenda packet.  Nothing groundbreaking: 33 units, using existing utilities/grading from years ago.  Looks like the townhomes have individual lot lines, which suggests ownership (rather than rentals).

1363402306_eldoradotownhomes.thumb.jpg.d9c89422435dacbfa9445748bfa30588.jpg

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Sparkleman said:

Not sure why they wouldn't want good paying light manufacturing jobs right there on their side of town.

Generational welfare and unemployment. Given the opportunity for high paying jobs and improving the neighborhood

they chose the keep the abandoned eye soar and wonder why they can't support a grocery store. Little hope. 

On 9/23/2023 at 12:55 PM, NotNotSanti said:

I've heard rumors that the Pepsi facility redevelopment is not happening. Anyone know if it is still moving forward? Neighborhood resistance was mentioned as the cause of pulling back.

That project was going to be hard to accomplish given the way it was zoned.  Our zoning ordinance doesn't really comprehend that type of "light industrial" that was more assembly than it was manufacturing.  I kept asking that question, and I got different answers, but I finally concluded it would have to be zoned I-1, light industrial, and there was simply no way that was ever going to pass.  Also I'm not sure it's even legal to have industrial and residential properties right next to each other.  Even though I think that the South Church corridor is mixed use more than residential, there's still residences behind that site.  

I do think the zoning ordinance needs to evolve to allow these small scale assembly-type enterprises in commercial zones, because there was nothing offensive in any way about the manufacturing that was proposed.  Also, given the limited amount of city land that is zoned for industry, if we don't change to allow things like this in more parts of the city, we are never going to get any manufacturing jobs in the city close to people who need jobs.  

But, there was clearly opposition from the neighborhood - I sat through several of those meetings, and also saw a string of public comments at City Council.  Some of it was distrust of the city, and some of it was fear (of pollution) but also fear of rising property values, increased property taxes, gentrification.  There were complaints about potential traffic.  There were also demands for an entirely different type of development - which at this point I think are unfeasible for that location.  

This, on top of the Piggly Wiggly closing, is really not going to help make things better on the Southside.  

• Thanks 2

Just saw this solicitation today - 

Title:
 South Church Street Gateway Enhancements

Deadline: 10/17/2023 3:00 PM   (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Solicitation Number: Proposal No: 2324-10-17-01

Description: NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN – The City of Spartanburg is seeking proposals from vendors to provide construction services for Enhancements to the South Church Street Gateway in the City of Spartanburg.   Bids are invited upon the several items and quantities of work as follows:   Removal of existing plant material, rocks, concrete, debris ect., clearing, grading, and site preparation for the instillation of irrigation and landscaping. This project includes the installation of multi zone irrigation systems, installation of Trees (Approximately 56), Shrubs/grasses (Approximately 3600), Fescue sod, (Approximately 65000 S.F.), and Hardwood mulch (Approximately 328 C.Y.)

11 hours ago, NotNotSanti said:

Just saw this solicitation today - 

Title:
 South Church Street Gateway Enhancements

Deadline: 10/17/2023 3:00 PM   (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Solicitation Number: Proposal No: 2324-10-17-01

Description: NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN – The City of Spartanburg is seeking proposals from vendors to provide construction services for Enhancements to the South Church Street Gateway in the City of Spartanburg.   Bids are invited upon the several items and quantities of work as follows:   Removal of existing plant material, rocks, concrete, debris ect., clearing, grading, and site preparation for the instillation of irrigation and landscaping. This project includes the installation of multi zone irrigation systems, installation of Trees (Approximately 56), Shrubs/grasses (Approximately 3600), Fescue sod, (Approximately 65000 S.F.), and Hardwood mulch (Approximately 328 C.Y.)

Been waiting on updates for the west main street scaping, glad that the process is having a major deadline soon!

I was surprised to see it was for the South Church Street corridor, as I would have expected it to be for West Main Street, which I hope happens soon also. For those who have been keeping eyes on things for far longer than I have, is this gateway enhancement a routine procedure, or is it looking like something more substantial? Having been here 25 years, I don't recall South Church Street getting something like this, but, then again, I wasn't as focused on noticing such things during a good portion of that time either...

4 hours ago, NotNotSanti said:

I was surprised to see it was for the South Church Street corridor, as I would have expected it to be for West Main Street, which I hope happens soon also. For those who have been keeping eyes on things for far longer than I have, is this gateway enhancement a routine procedure, or is it looking like something more substantial? Having been here 25 years, I don't recall South Church Street getting something like this, but, then again, I wasn't as focused on noticing such things during a good portion of that time either...

I saw that bid several weeks ago, but I'm not sure exactly where they're doing the work.  It appears to just be beautification (trees, landscaping, etc).  But that gateway already looks relatively nice, IMO, with lots of mature trees in the median.  And the City doesn't own that much property on the sides of the road, so I can't see much being done there.  There was a proposal a year or two ago to paint a welcome sign on the RR overpass, but I guess the RR company shot that down.  The pre-bid meeting was at Church and League Streets, so that seems to be the general area.

I have noticed that there are several improvements being made to intersections / traffic signals on South Church, particularly at Marion and Bomar.  Looks like new metal poles (replacing wood poles), new ADA sidewalk ramps, and new signals.  That's a different project, though (likely SCDOT-led).

Edit: West Main will be much more substantial, with actual streetscaping work (new curbing, sidewalks, striping, as well as landscaping).  I'd love to see powerline burial too, but I doubt that happens (very expensive and requires working with Duke).

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...