Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

does anyone have any idea what the plans are for the rest of the old lanyair golf course?  Sonny's pizza has also begun some construction, I think they are making a bigger deck outside for more seating.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I read in the paper that they are making their deck larger. I also heard that they may be buying the Java Jive buliding for more space.

The rest of the Lan Yair golf course is part of the Easton development. There are going to be around 250 residential units back there (or is it 500?) including apartments, condos, townhomes, and some single famlity houses too. There will be commercial developments facing E Main. I have heard an electronics store rumor, but nothing has meterialized on that. The home deopt is just the beginning of this thing. They also have those massive piles of dirt back there. I can't decide what they are using that for.

My only poblem with all of this is that they don'th ave a website at all, so there are no images to show :(

i wish that an Olive Garden would go there, or at least somewhere in town.

I also saw the other day that the old jennings glass building (i think that's what it was) on the corner of Union and Country Club Rd. has been demolished. I don't have any idea what will go there, but that street desperately needs some new development. Everything on that stretch of Union st, from country club rd to 295 is so random and run down. Stefano's is the only good thing there.

I heard a rumor that Olive Garden might build over at Westgate Point near the new theater.

Spartanburg is lacking in several restuarant chains. I used to think it was becuase we were too small, but I recently saw alot of these restaurants in Anderson. My thoughts are that if Anderson can have and support them, why cant we? (Fazoli's, Carrabba's, Macaroni Grill, Tony Romas, Chili's, etc.)

I agree about that section of Union St/ Cedar Springs Rd needs some work. The new BiLo helped the overall appearance I think. I have also heard that Johnson Development may rennovate the BigLots/Winn-Dixie shoping center accross the street.

I think part of the problem is that the area you mentioned (and Union St as a whole) has a bad rep (especially since two people were shot bear there last year). If the City can successfully clean up the Southside then maybe some better developments will spill over to Union St. What do you think?

Also, the City's ReGenesis project (to revitalize the Southside) has been moving forward lately. The HJ has had a series that past few days about what has been going on there. The parts that are of note are that there has been a larger crack down on crime in that area.

They also are trying to tear down some dilapidated commercial structures on South Church St and a new road it being discussed that will go through Arkwright.

Here is a map for those of you who aren't as familiar with the area.

Spartanburg_southside.jpg

Yellow is the new road through Arkwright.

Green is the Union St and Country Club Rd intersection

I would really love to see some nicer development come to the southside of town. I think that's great that they're trying to crack down on crime in that area. I agree that the Bilo and the rest of that shopping center is nice and that would be really great if Johnson did something nice with the old Winn-Dixie. It's just a really wierd part of town there. There's the SC School for the Deaf and Blind and Carolina Country Club is near there too, but then there is a lot of sketchy neighborhoods in the same area. Some of the camp croft area is really ghetto. I think that Duncan Park has a lot of potential to be a really nice area with the old ball park there, but they would need to get a lot of the sketch out. I think that the Cedar Springs end of 295 has a lot of potential for nice developments too. It would be nice if there were a couple of chain resturants in the cedar springs area.

I agree. More chains than KFC, Pizza Inn and McDonalds at anyrate. I think as Roebuck and Canaan grow some more, then we might see developments there.

The problem as I see it is that the tank farms will be a hinderance to growth east of Cedar Springs Road.

The good signs are that after the last leg of 295 is completed we will probably see more commercial growth.

Its interesting because I have never thought of the Duncan Park area as bad until recently. I knew the area off of South Converse was kinda sketchy, but I drive through there as a detour to Union or Pine (no stops) so I have never felt threatened. Of course, I am the kind of person who will gladly drive through a bad part of town if it will save me some time.

i thought the same thing about the tank farms. I don't think there will ever be much development that side of Cedar Springs.

I think that Duncan Park has both nice areas, but also sketchy areas. I've never felt threatened driving through there either. I guess it's sort of like Hampton Heights is right now. There is still some sketchy areas there, but there are also nicer areas where there is a lot of renovations going on.

A new development is coming to the Wofford College area-

a vacant building next to thr Day's Inn across the street from Wofford is being rennovated for three 800-square-foot apartments on the second floor "plus up to four retail spaces on the first floor."

Source- SHJ

Sounds good to me :) I think it is great that someone is finally realize this postential. Wofford is growing, and they don't have enough dorms for everyone. The developer mentioned that he would like to see a pizza place or a book store locate there.

I drove down 29 past westgate to get to I-85 last night and I noticed that a lot of clearing has been going on near Gibbs International. It's on the opposite side of the road, but it looks that a good bit has been cleared running along 29 and it goes all the way to the interstate. I'm not exactly sure where it begins. Anyway, I know that Upward Basketball is building a new facility out there but it looks like way more than enough land for them. Does anyone know what else might be going there? I thought that it might be that new development with commercial and residential property that is supposed to be located between Spartanburg and Lyman. I doubt that's what it is though because it doesn't seem large enough and I thought that development is supposed to be located more towards Lyman.

Edited by emo

I was over at Barnes and Noble today and I saw a sign for a new retail development. I thought it had the name Westward on it, but I'm not sure. I also think that it said that it's a Poinsett development. Anyway the sign is just to the left of the Athlete's Foot.

There was also a lot of progress with the road work at Reidville and I-26, at least since the last time I was out that way

I have only been to Spartanburg's Barnes & Noble once. It was pretty depressing especially if you do not have a music section like Greenville's first location does.

About the new development, was anything mentioned about square footage, acerage, or something like that?

Is the 26/Reidville Rd SPUI ahead of schedule?

I have only been to Spartanburg's Barnes & Noble once.  It was pretty depressing especially if you do not have a music section like Greenville's first location does. 

About the new development, was anything mentioned about square footage, acerage, or something like that?

Is the 26/Reidville Rd SPUI ahead of schedule?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The thing to the left of Athelets Foot probably won't be very large. I am interested to know what it is though.

The SPUI on Reidvlile and 26 is on schedule, if not ahead. It is upposed to be completed in Summer 2006.

Barnes and Noble is not depressing! It looks like every other one I have ever been to, except a little smaller.

I just returned from vacation and saw in one of last weeks HJ that Bass Pro Shop was indeed looking at the soon to be vacant Proffitts at Westgate mall. A decision should be announced in 30-45 days. If that happens then I think that more restaurants like Olive Garden and others will start to look at Summitt Pointe. the City Range is coming along nicely. Also, Hub City Grill in Morgan Square (old Ellis' Bistro) is opening next week.

Wow. Bass Pro Shop? I think that would be huge. I really hope that goes through. I've only seen their stores in the much larger cities, but maybe that's changed. Anyway maybe that would be their one store for the Upstate and that would be awesome. Sorry Greenville, but I think it's time that Spartanburg gets something cool like this, not to say that there's not already a lot of great stuff here and also not to bash Greenville.

I didn't get a good look at the sign beside Athlete's foot so I couldn't tell you any estimate of sq. footage.

I think our Barnes and Noble isn't any worse than any other one, but I do wish that it had a music section.

I saw some other dirt moving or something going on yesterday. It was on the right side of 29 if you're coming from Westgate Mall and it looked like it was in front of Hobby Lobby. I didn't get a good look at it though.

I drove through, well as much as you can, Morgan Square yesterday and I noticed a building that I've never taken notice of before. It's just to the right of the Masonic Temple. It looks new and I was wondering if it was. Somehow I've never noticed it before.

Wow.  Bass Pro Shop?  I think that would be huge.  I really hope that goes through. I've only seen their stores in the much larger cities, but maybe that's changed.  Anyway maybe that would be their one store for the Upstate and that would be awesome.  Sorry Greenville, but I think it's time that Spartanburg gets something cool like this, not to say that there's not already a lot of great stuff here and also not to bash Greenville.

I can't believe I missed that one! We had heard those rumors here before, and it is great to know they were true :D

Bass Pro Shops is known for locating NEAR large cities, but not always in them (meaning suburbs). Charlotte's is located in Concord Mills in Concord. Atlanta's is located in Lawrenceville. They have one in Springfield and Columbia, Missouri, and Harrisburg, PA too, these are not large cities at all, nor are they near them.

I'd say the odds are pretty much in our favor, don't you think?

I saw some other dirt moving or something going on yesterday.  It was on the right side of 29 if you're coming from Westgate Mall and it looked like it was in front of Hobby Lobby.  I didn't get a good look at it though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is going to be a Khols. I think they started demolition for that in May.

I drove through, well as much as you can, Morgan Square yesterday and I noticed a building that I've never taken notice of before.  It's just to the right of the Masonic Temple.  It looks new and I was wondering if it was.  Somehow I've never noticed it before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That building is rather old, but it has been rennovated recently. It is often overlooked. I can't even tell you much more about it because I always have trouble pictureing it since I always overlook it :lol:

On completey separate notes, the Hub City Grill is to open this week and according the the HJ "Baber/Rhyne is open and most of its former customers have already returned to the historic restaurant located on Magnolia Street." I can't say as I've heard of this place before, but apparantly its a big deal. If anyone out there can shed some light on it, it would be appriciated.

Bass Pro Shops is known for locating NEAR large cities, but not always in them (meaning suburbs). Charlotte's is located in Concord Mills in Concord. Atlanta's is located in Lawrenceville.

Well as you know we have hearing about them wanting to locate in the Greenville area. Being that the rumors of them wanting to go to Greenville Mall. Hey I guess this was a good compromised. It almost fit their pattern. If you can't be the larger

city, at least be near it. But that IMO. That is if it is even true. :rolleyes:

From the look of things, Bass Pro Shops is definitely considering the Greenville-Spartanburg area for a store. Westgate Mall and Greenville Mall are both ideal locations because they are located in major shopping center districts and are located among major arterial routes. As much as Spartanburg could use something big, Bass Pro Shops would be better off in Greenville such as Greenville Mall. It already has the vacant space and ample parking necessary, it has easy access to 85 and 385, and the major residential/retail/office development Verdae is coming along quickly.

As much as Spartanburg could use something big, Bass Pro Shops would be better off in Greenville such as Greenville Mall.  It already has the vacant space and ample parking necessary, it has easy access to 85 and 385, and the major residential/retail/office development Verdae is coming along quickly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Though one could say the same about Westgate. Proffits may still be there, but parking is rarely an issue on that side of the mall. Westgate has access to 85 and 26, which could arguably bring just as much traffic if not more.

Bass pro also seems to like to have big visability from the interstate. With the Proffitts building, as Spartan mentioned, it would be the most visable store at Westgate. Greenville mall just isn't that visable. The only part you can really see is Oshman's, and that is from 385.