Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

If that is the case then I would be think that they would have to be thinking of

Asheville to. It just makes sense.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The same can be said about Greenville. I know a lot of Asheville traffic comes through Greenville as US 25 is a heavily traveled route like I-26.

Also, not all Bass Pro Shops are located along interstates. The one up in Sevierville, TN is an example.

Not all new development and initiatives have to be in Greenville. I'm from Spartanburg county, and love to go to Greenville and applaud all that is happening there. Both cities have made a lot of progress, but I think that something like a Bass Pro Shop would have a greater impact for Spartanburg. That said, I would still go to Greenville if they were to choose that site.

I think that was one point that was made during our leaders trip to Dallas/Ft. Worth. People in Spartanburg can't be jealous of the energy in downtown Greenville, and likewise, those in Greenville can't believe that Spartanburg only deserves what Greenville doesn't want.

If I was the decision maker at Bass Pro Shops I would want to know what the long term plan was for Greenville Mall. Why would I or anyone else invest in a location that has never been successful and where the place is practically empty right now.

Will Bass Pro Shops save Greenville Mall? I doubt it. Proffits, Dillards, Parisian, and Montgomery Ward couldn't save it.

Yes, I would like to see the store in Spartanburg. Yes, I can understand why our Greenville friends want it there. However, everyone knows Greenville Mall is dead. The place needs to be demolished and put out of it's misery!

Disagree with you, roads-scholar, I do. Greenville Mall is not dead yet, or at all. Oshman's and Palmetto Home & Garden, the enclosed mall's two anchors, are doing quite well. The Shops @ Greenville Mall has a lot of business with CompUSA, Goody's Family Clothing, Shoe Carnival, A. C. Moore, and Old Navy. Hollywood 20 remains the upstate's largest multiplex. Ruby Tuesday, one of my favorite restaurants, opened up their fourth Greenville location earlier this year on the former Montgomery Ward Auto repiar space. As space fills up at The Shops @ Greenridge and The Point, where will stores look to go in? Go westward to find gold! The new Verdae project will bring business back around the Woodruff/Roper Mountain Road Roads/Verdae Boulevard interchange. The traffic there is much better than the other side of 85.

I think we can all agree that no matter where it locates, it will get alot of business. The gap between Greenville and Spartanburg is closing quickly, so the potential market, no matter where it locates, will continue to rise :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree with you, I do. Personally, I would like to work at a Bass Pro store.

Speaking of Bass Pro Shops, I just returned from myrtle beach today and was somewhat surprised to see one in the colonial mall and I got to go in and check it out. It was two stories and very impressive.

I agree that Greenville is closer to Lake Hartwell and is located centrally in the upstate, but westgate mall is only about 15 minutes from Woodruff Rd. Spartanburg also has Lake Bowen and Lake Lure is very close. Not to mention Lake Murray is not too far from Spartanburg.

Speaking of Bass Pro Shops, I just returned from myrtle beach today and was somewhat surprised to see one in the colonial mall and I got to go in and check it out.  It was two stories and very impressive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm off a few days this week, so I will drive up to the Bass Pro at Concord Mills to see what they have. (I may spend hours in there.)

How was Colonial Mall?

Woodruff Road's direct link to Spartanburg is Reidville Road (SC 296). The intersection with SC 101 has been improved with turn lanes and a traffic signal, but more work needs to be done. I'm sure 296 will be widened to four lanes from 290 to 146 in a few years assuming it is in the plans already.

Woodruff Road's direct link to Spartanburg is Reidville Road (SC 296).  The intersection with SC 101 has been improved with turn lanes and a traffic signal, but more work needs to be done.  I'm sure 296 will be widened to four lanes from 290 to 146 in a few years assuming it is in the plans already.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would be very suprised if that is not in the works.

What is the old Duke power on main going to be in the future. I know that they're renovating, but is there already a new tenant.

Also, does anyone have any info on when the construction on the Johnson development across the street will begin?

ah...I love that new building. that is disappointing knowing that they could have built it taller and still utilized all of the space. who knows, maybe they could sell it to a smaller tenant and they could build a second(taller) building. just some wishful thinking.

I haven't heard anything about what's going to be on the corner of Broad and Liberty.

any idea when construction will begin on the new development on Garner Rd?

that also sounds nice about the Mary Black building.

It also looks like construction is going well on Morgan Square, i heard something about a fountain 20' in diameter going in there, and the construction at Sonny's looks like it is well under way.

does anyone have any idea what is going to be in the building down the street from sonny's? The building has gone through the process of renovations recently and I don't think they're finished yet and I don't have a clue who the tenant will be. any of you guys know?

ah...I love that new building.  that is disappointing knowing that they could have built it taller and still utilized all of the space.  who knows, maybe they could sell it to a smaller tenant and they could build a second(taller) building.  just some wishful thinking.

I haven't heard anything about what's going to be on the corner of Broad and Liberty.

any idea when construction will begin on the new development on Garner Rd?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea, but I do have a picture.

SPA_garnerRD.jpg

Not very exciting at all, is it? ;)

that also sounds nice about the Mary Black building.

It also looks like construction is going well on Morgan Square, i heard something about a fountain 20' in diameter going in there, and the construction at Sonny's looks like it is well under way.

does anyone have any idea what is going to be in the building down the street from sonny's?  The building has gone through the process of renovations recently and I don't think they're finished yet and I don't have a clue who the tenant will be. any of you guys know?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They have already constructed the base of this fountain. I will try to get some pictures of it. You can see it if you drive down Dunbar in front of ESA. The new Morgan Square is going to be awsome.

Sonny's is enlarging its deck, creating more outdoor seating. I heard that they may be buying the old Java Jive location to expand into (to the left of Sonny's in the image). I have no verification on that though.

Here is a picture showing the progress at Sonny's

SPA_sonnys.jpg

Its hard to tell from that angle, but the wall its significant progress. In the far left of that image you can see the beginnings of the staircase between the two pillars.

Accross the street they are rennovating the old mill called the "Warrior Duck buliding." I have no idea why it is called that, but its a cool name. They are converting it into office space for small businesses.

Here is an image from the rear:

SPA_warriorduck.jpg

And while I was out I shot some other pics, which I will show you later on. Here is a different angle of downtown. I took it from that weird building on West Main that has the parking lot on its roof.

SPA_dtsky1.jpg

Exactly!! There is a 98% occupancy rate in the approximately 180 apartments in existance downtown. So you won't convince me the demand isnt there!

Once I graduate and get a job I hope to end up in Spartanburg. I know I wont be able to afford anything 'luxury.' However, I know I would like to live downtown, and a decently priced condo unit or apartment is something I and several other people I know would be interested in. I am confindent that if they would build normal apartments that they would sell out instantly.